PDA

View Full Version : That was MY thumb!!

Fluffy
03-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Last night we had our first REAL fight. Buddy was minding his own buisness, chewing his nylabone. Heidi was sleeping on my lap and for some reason woke up in a hurry, ran over and grabbed ahold of the bone. They started "play" tugging at first and then Buddy just got super mad and went after here. There was a lot of yipping and yelping and i was trying to separate them but they were too quick for me. I was afraid someone was going to get seriously hurt so I just closed my eyes, held my breath, reached in and grabed for a dog. I wound up with Heidi, Buddy took off, everyone was breathing super heavy (including me) and I separated them for a while. As I was reaching for something, I noticed that there was some blood so I quick went and checked them both out...no blood from either of them. Then I'm thinking "Dang, my thumb hurts" as I'm turning my hand over to look at it I see the blood. I have no idea who got me but DANG it hurts!!! I washed it out real good, put a band aid on it and went about my buisness. Today at lunch w/ my mom I showed it to her and she said it was getting infected (ALREADY?!) and we needed to see when I got my last tetnus shot. (She works for my dr) So we went back, he looked at it, gave me some pills for the infection and said I definately need a tetnus shot (but they were out THANK GOODNESS). Moral of the story...no more nylabones for a while!! They have never acted like this before and I am so afraid that this is going to happen again. I also didn't know what to do after i got them apart...anyone whos dealt with this kind of thing before have some good advice?? I don't want to do the wrong thing!!! Thanks!!

jenfer
03-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Ouch for your thumb! At least the pups are ok.

lotsadox
03-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Cash and Miller got into it over some toy once. I did the same thing just grabbed collars and pulled them apart and got bit in the process. That was over a year ago and no repeats. I used to have two females that got into minor scrimishes every year or so. Sometimes drawing blood. I just try to separate them and make sure everyone is okay. The two females were the worst. Pebbles kept trying to take things from Bandit and getting beat up in the process. I had to take her to the vet once because her eye was scratched! :shocked: I don't know how to prevent it. I just try to stop it before anyone gets hurt.

Jacqueline
03-28-2006, 08:52 PM
When my two got into it out in the yard over nothing that I could see, I reached down and grabbed them by the chest bands and pulled them apart. My friend got really badly bitten separating two of her males, and I would never want to reach between two snapping jaws.

Sorry about your thumb....really sorry about the shot. OUCH.

JanUet
03-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Dearest Crash,

You did the right thing and stopped the fight! Too bad you had to get your thumb invovled! Somehow, I KNEW that the blood had to be yours *secretly giggling*
I suggest you still get the Tetnus Shot!
Perhaps you should wear a suit of Armor when you are home? :dunno:

Sending you healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for your thumb.

Bella's Mom
03-28-2006, 09:38 PM
I sure hope your thumb is feeling better! Yikers that must hurt! Does it feel like a battle wound!? That's what DH says when Bella is playing and she gets "out of hand" and a scratch or the like appears. Sending some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: your way!

Jen
03-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Would a squirt from a water bottle break them up? As a mom to one, I don't know. Sorry about the bite Becca, ouch, Tasha has gotten me a few times while I was trying to extract something edible found on the street from her maw....I know it hurts! (once it was hostess cupcake stuck to the roof of her mouth, I shoulda let her have it--too hard to scrape off) I use triple antibiotic cream myself...

Frzframe
03-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Been there done that only it was a finger for me. Mitzi and Ruby will get into it and since Ruby back isn't good I break it up real fast always grabing Mitzi. But the last time Mitzi hooked me and yep I agree "DANG that HURTS." I washed it real good and it healed fine thank goodness.

I just keep an eye out for any major rumbles. Ruby will always give a warning growl so I know to get them apart because once in a while Mitzi will ignor her and get to close that's when Ruby goes after Mitzi.

K2
03-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your thumb. Sending some healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :hug99: too.

Mama S.
03-29-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm lucky - when some of the herd get a bit too crazy - PJ steps in with his voice like thunder and everyone STOPS DEAD.
I so bewy bewy sowwy dat you gots a boo boo on yu thumb. Blowin kisses hoping it gets better fast! Waggin finger at my gkids - baaaddd puppers hurtin Nana's girl....
Sandi