PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Update: June 2nd

doxyzoo
06-02-2012, 01:57 PM
As of last Thursday (a week after this all started) we are FINALLY able to start easing off the high dose of codeine he was on. Which means his pain is a LOT LESS! :cheer3: I have been a mess watching him in pain, fearful of giving him even more pain meds and watching to be sure he was still breathing! I'm guessing the pred is finally kicking in well.

It has been a long, tiring week for the both of us.

NOW he just whines when bored and has to go potty instead of the terrible in pain cries. We are using the KONG every afternoon, but I am concerned that he might hurt himself because he just attacks it. Any advice? :scratch:

oceangirls
06-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Poor little guy. Glad he is doing better :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:.

I know not everyone likes rawhide, but CET chews worked well for me when Angel was crated because they mostly just gnaw those. Also, for some reason both mine fall asleep for hours after a CET chew :dunno:. It's like chewable Valium.

lotsadox
06-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I"m glad Oscar is doing better. :cheer3::cheer3: I"m not sure how he could hurt himself on a kong. It's usually considered one of the better chew toys. Although mine won't chew kongs :conf4:

Lisa
06-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I also bought the super big rawhide bones (made in North America), the hard type, not the softer ones, Pixel loved those and they kept him busy.

It is tough ~ been there, I know how brutal it is.

LexieLuvr
06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
So glad he's improving - wish I had some great ideas, but I don't. Jack did pretty well when crated and I didn't even have to give him a Kong. As long as I was near, he was okay. I'm sorry. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

doxyzoo
06-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Poor little guy. Glad he is doing better :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:.

I know not everyone likes rawhide, but CET chews worked well for me when Angel was crated because they mostly just gnaw those. Also, for some reason both mine fall asleep for hours after a CET chew :dunno:. It's like chewable Valium.

I actually have a big bag of "gently used" CET chews. Funny story there. My sister's basset hound is an elderly lady of leisure who will not let anyone brush her teeth. So my sister bought a bag of chews. Daisy will spend about five minutes on each one and never touch it again. MY dogs aren't so picky, so we have inherited about the equivalent of three large bags of chews. Oscar is enjoying one now. I hope it wears him out because the whining is a pain in the a$$.

It's like chewable Valium.

Maybe I need to chew on one, as well.

Rae
06-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Ellen I'm so glad Oscar is out of pain but sorry to hear he's moved to pain in the ass...

I don't believe I've ever heard of gently chewed rawhides... Lol!

If you decide to gnaw on one, I think we all agree that's a photo opportunity ...

SasatheRusty
06-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Always glad to hear when a dog is starting to be pain free. We use the white rawhide chews too. I used to say that I would never use those but I succumbed to pressure :)

lotsadox
06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I used to give mine rawhides and I agree with Rae, I have never seen a gently chewed one. LOL. I quit using them though because all I could find were the one made in China and I'm not feeding my dogs anything made in China. The ones made in the U.S.A. have gotten very hard to find.

Rileybugg
06-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Here's to continued improvement and no more pain...for either of you :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: