PDA

View Full Version : Support for the LESS-Educated!

catstamm
03-29-2006, 09:57 PM
I need a quick suggestion cuz I'm frustrated...It's been a long day.....How do you tell someone nicely in a educating manner...... that ALPO PRIME CUTS are as good for thier dog as.....!!!!:mad4: Mind you these people know EVERYTHING about dogs and thier dogs are treated like royalty... I want to help and educate but, it's been a long day ...patience and choosing my words wisely are short on the menu today :sad125: :mad1: :mad4: Thank you :please:

lotsadox
03-29-2006, 09:59 PM
I"m not a good person to give advice on tactful answers. This is the woman that turns around and walks away from people that say stupid things about dog nutrition or breeding. Good luck and maybe some of our more tactful members can help.

Red Haired Girl
03-29-2006, 10:01 PM
You could say "My, Your dogs look so healthy - considering......"

catstamm
03-29-2006, 10:07 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: OK...you guys are not helping! :rotfl: No one has a nice article they can forward to me on dog nutrition or good and bad ingredients.....what are bi-products....something???? Good and Bad dog food???A Best and Worst list??? This is no laughing matter :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I'd rather send her an article...the less I open my mouth the better!

Helen
03-29-2006, 10:10 PM
An excellent webpage, if you don't know about it already, is http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html.
Here's another one that might help: http://www.hua.org/Food.html

Good luck!

catstamm
03-29-2006, 10:26 PM
:appl: :appl: :appl: Perfect Thank you:thanx: Exactly what I was looking for :cheer2:

Patt
03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
I"m not a good person to give advice on tactful answers. This is the woman that turns around and walks away from people that say stupid things about dog nutrition or breeding. Good luck and maybe some of our more tactful members can help.We do think alike!! :rotfl: I believe this will be a very difficult task because the people already know everything. Dogaware is a great site. Good luck Cathleen.

Lisa
03-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Great email Cathleen!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Another one (sorry, I just got home) is http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

Helen
03-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Excellent! You got your point across in a very non-threatening way. Hopefully this way they won't immediately go on the defensive and as a result ignore your suggestions completely.

Jacqueline
03-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Way back when I was a mere pup myself.....and my sweet puppy was just that, a puppy....she didn't eat ANYTHING I didn't taste first. NOTHING.

Of course, ALPO advertised all the time, and was supposed to be THE DOG FOOD. I bought a can, opened it, took a look....hmmmm, but I was game. I took a bite. :vomit: Needless to say, Molly never tasted it.

I can't believe they still sell that stuff.

Want to convince someone not to feed it to their dog? Dare them to take ONE BITE.

catstamm
03-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Hummmm...still haven't heard back from them :scratch: Great idea Jacqueline...
I do have good news.... we have 5 adoptions pending this week:woohoo: BIG week....excellent applications, vet references checked, great conversations w/ open-minded experienced doxie people..... now for the home checks....keep your fingers crossed for these wonderful deserving doxies :pray: :party2: :yay: :weee: We've never had a roll like this :cheer2:

Rae
03-30-2006, 09:17 AM
OK do we need to ditch this topic in case they happen to be lurking, trying to learn more about doxies? "that nice rescue and place ment lady" might quickly turn in to THAT :curse: ....

just a thought...

the answers were good and I thought your letter to them was very well done. but this could kick in the butt if they saw it.

Mama S.
03-30-2006, 09:56 AM
OK do we need to ditch this topic in case they happen to be lurking, trying to learn more about doxies? "that nice rescue and place ment lady" might quickly turn in to THAT :curse: .... just a thought...
the answers were good and I thought your letter to them was very well done. but this could kick in the butt if they saw it.
Excellent point Rae! Hopefully if they or any possible adopters see this - they will understand that we are just loving fanatics who only want the very best for all babies , not just our own!
Sandi

catstamm
03-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Excellent point Rae.....I deleted it :shocked: I got a little carried away.....everyone speaks so openly here :mad1: I got a little carried away. Thanks for reminding me this is a public forum :scratch:I would like to belive that most people would understand we only want whats best for the furr-kids.....no one knows better than the people that rescue them, teach them to trust again and nurse them back to health, that they deserve the best life can offer...the second time around....right

Jen
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Good point ladies--we're not out to call people names...we just want them to feed the best foods available to their dogs. Yes, dogs can survive on the cheaper, not as healthy foods, but for a really well nourished, energetic dog, its good to buy the best food you can afford.

catstamm
03-30-2006, 10:51 AM
ok lets focus on the 5 pending adoptions!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

quavec
03-30-2006, 11:55 AM
A great tool for me was found on www.bowchow.com If it's still up and running. I fed Iams, Pedigree, and other easier to purchase foods. Read up on it and found that like someone said, dogs can survive on those brands, they don't necessarily benefit from them. He is eating Natural Balance right now (low cal of course ;) ) Would I still buy those brands? Sure, when and if the time comes that money is extremely tight. To me, it's similar to purchasing generic brand mac and cheese for my kids. Not the best tasting, probably not as good quality ingredients, but, it feeds my children and that is what is important in the long run (not junk and candy ....well, you know what I'm trying to say). I try to feed the best quality foods to both Cricket and my kids. But, finances sometimes do dictate what is purchased.

lotsadox
03-30-2006, 12:23 PM
ok lets focus on the 5 pending adoptions!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

That's the best idea! :cheer2: Focus on the positive things. :hula1:

Patt
03-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh Rae, you are so smart! :appl: You are doing a great job Cathleen with all your new adoptions in the works. :cheer2: :cheer2:

BTW bowchow.com is now www.dogaware.com

Courtney
03-30-2006, 01:11 PM
5 pending adoptions is fabulous. Our apps/adoptions were slow for a while but they are picking up too. Woo hoo!

I deal with this question all the time when I do phone interviews and home visits. I email the dogaware.com links out and that usually does the trick. A good food is SO important!! Most people are very willing to do what is best for their dogs.

Jacqueline
03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Good point ladies--we're not out to call people names...we just want them to feed the best foods available to their dogs. Yes, dogs can survive on the cheaper, not as healthy foods, but for a really well nourished, energetic dog, its good to buy the best food you can afford.

Yeah, especially since we know they are going to go out and find and eat the most disgusting things around....and they know who they are :rotfl: . Let's see, we have the poo eater, mine think grass roots are dee-licious...oh, and all the rocks and screws they can mouth before Mom snatches them away....earthworms....absolutely ANYTHING that you would not put in their food dish. Yep...good nutrition is a must.