PDA

View Full Version : Mock "vacation" (Super long)

HotDogMama
03-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Okay, I really wasn't sure where to put this because she hasn't been bad yet, but I'm anticipating bad stuff here, :rotfl: :rotfl:

I need my favor of the day: We are due to go on vacation the week of May 6-13, and I know I asked a while back about what you all do on vacations, where to go, what you do with the dogs, etc. Well we have searched and searched the specific place we are going, and not having much luck finding dog friendly hotels that are not booked, I know we have waited waaay too long this year, we usually have everything done by Christmas, but I was secretly hoping we wouldn't go anywhere! I'm a procrasinator from way back! Anyway, back from my ramble..... Long story short, we asked my sister to keep her (she has Lil' Bear, who I'm sure you've all seen. He's not a doxie, but he's...... interesting, :rotfl: Pekignese/Pomerainian mix) She said that Molly can come stay the night Sat (this Saturday) and see what happens... I know some of you have dogsat before, any pointers or things that I should definetly do, I already plan on taking her crate, blankies, food, treats and toys. Remember she has severe SA!! I can't even leave the room and she cries and paces till I get back. When I get home she jumps, and dances, and kisses til she is out of breath! I'm so worried about leaving her for a whole week...... It's not totally out of the question that she is not going on vacation with us, but I can't decide which would be easier on her, leaving her here without us, but with people she knows, or taking her with us and taking her to daycare/leaving her crated in the hotel (short periods of time) someplace strange!!

The other big problem is that she sleeps with us, and Lil Bear does not sleep with my sister, he sleeps in his crate in the kitchen... I mentioned that maybe they could sleep together in his or her crate, and she said she didn't know if that would work.... She is mainly worried that they are not gonna get along after they realize that one of them is not going home after a couple of hours like normal..... I tried to explain to her that dogs are pack animals, and they like to be around another, but I don't know if it sunk in or not.... Am I doing the right thing here?? :conf1: Thanks a bunch, I think I covered everything.... sorry so long! :rotfl:

Jen
03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
No advice, as we have always taken Tasha with us (ok maybe I have some SA issues).

How are you handling your SA issues? For us the biggest thing is to ignore Tasha for 5 min before we leave and 5 min after we get home. Its HARD as she wags, dances, etc, but we do it. And its not easy to ignore the dog licking your hands as you untie your shoes--but we do it anyways. Its helped A LOT!

Oh, and :congrats: on your 1000th post!!

lotsadox
03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't really have any advice. :scratch: I don't have any dogs with SA issues. Now MY SA issues are another story . . . :D I'd wait to decide and see what happens this weekend. She may be just fine and then you won't have to worry. :hula1:

Bella's Mom
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
No advice, as we have always taken Tasha with us (ok maybe I have some SA issues).

How are you handling your SA issues? For us the biggest thing is to ignore Tasha for 5 min before we leave and 5 min after we get home. Its HARD as she wags, dances, etc, but we do it. And its not easy to ignore the dog licking your hands as you untie your shoes--but we do it anyways. Its helped A LOT!

Oh, and :congrats: on your 1000th post!!
I'm with you Tasha...I think I'm the one with SA! :rotfl: Bella goes everywhere with us. She had her first plane ride at 8 months!

HotDogMama
03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Well, I will admit that I think I do too, :rotfl: but...... I really don't say much when we leave except, "be right back", and I don't hear her howl that much anymore, I do think she has gotten better, but when we get home, that is a different story....... she jumps, and licks and all that, and I really do try to ignore her, but as you said it IS hard, I usually go to the bathroom or whatever I need to do, then straight outside to pee, we have been practicing sit, to put her harness on, and sometimes she does it, but its hard when her butt is wigglin all over the place, and your tryin not to laugh!! I will let ya'll know what happens this weekend, I'm sure I'll be up all night Saturday!

quavec
03-30-2006, 04:09 PM
I think you are doing the right thing by giving her (and you :rotfl: ) a trial run at your sisters. I say wait until the outcome of your mock vacation. Then take it from there. It might be that she and Lil Bear get along great and pile up for a nap. If so, see if your sister will let them try it out in the crate too. Good luck !!!!

areese
03-30-2006, 04:46 PM
I think the trial run is a good idea and if it goes well, it seems that would be a better option than having to take her with you and be continually leaving her in unfamiliar places...

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-31-2006, 01:48 PM
ITA w/ trial run. I HAVE SA, so I won' t leave my puppers!:rotfl:
I haven' t been away from my pack more than during the day! I' m trying to find a way to take mine to my wedding & on our honeymoon!!!
So far I' m thinking maybe I can be away from them for a little while, like during the ceremony...:scratch: