PDA

View Full Version : Ben has bone spurs

Frzframe
07-27-2012, 12:39 AM
My parents boy Ben has always had what can be described as a hitch in his back leg that we kept an eye on. Last Friday he decided that he wouldn't go up the stairs and would wimper so off to the vet he went and was put on metacam (which seemed to help). Since he had to be put under to take a good x-ray they took him in today (while under he had his teeth cleaned) and it showed that he has bone spurs around his knee. He will stay on metacam and suppliments until it gets worse then there is a shot (not sure what it is) once a month. Poor boy but at least it can be managed with meds.

Alex's Mom
07-27-2012, 07:10 AM
That was Alex, Shonda. She had them on her joints and along her spine. A regular series of Adequan shots (and chiro) really helped her keep her mobility a lot longer than expected. I'm guessing that's what the shot might be? Glucosamine might help too (I've found it works with some dogs, not so much with others). Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Ben. :hug99:

Lisa
07-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Adequan = awesome! And you can use it with Metacam.

I have had a bone spur in my foot, and I know how painful it is. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

I am wondering if laser therapy would help for this?

Rae
07-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Poor baby. Glad his troubles have been identified so hopefully y'all can get him on some treatment that will help him.

lotsadox
07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Poor Ben. I"m glad they at least know what it is and there is treatment.

SasatheRusty
07-27-2012, 01:15 PM
What a shame. At least he is lucky to have parents who love and take care of him. How old is he?

Frzframe
07-27-2012, 03:21 PM
What a shame. At least he is lucky to have parents who love and take care of him. How old is he?

Let's see I'm thinking he's 8. Not sure though he might be 9. Poor boy had a hard life before he came to us and he has mental problems which he is finally overcoming but its been a 4 year process.

SasatheRusty
07-27-2012, 05:21 PM
One of ours is a rescue and we know zero about her previous life. But glad to hear he is finally overcoming his past.

LexieLuvr
07-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Bummer - glad there's something to help! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: