PDA

View Full Version : A senseless death

Courtney
03-30-2006, 01:16 PM
I am so upset and angry this morning.

Reynolds was picked up Monday at the Austin shelter. He was only a year old and, as you can see, adorable.

http://static.flickr.com/35/120318199_65c7de7f33_m.jpg

He also was heartworm positive. At only a year old. He was to start treatment this week. Today, the vet clinic found him vomiting blood and near death. They tried to save him, but could not. This death is absolutely senseless. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but if you know anyone who doesn't think spending a few dollars a month on heartworm prevention is necessary, share Reynolds' story with them. This poor little guy.

Jen
03-30-2006, 01:39 PM
:sosad: That such a sweet young boy had to die a painful death as people were too ****ing cheap for spend a few $ on heartworm preventative. Its makes me angry and sad.

Yolanda
03-30-2006, 01:41 PM
:sosad: Courtney, I feel your pain and fustration. The subject is very dear to my heart and it is the one thing I preach over and over to adoptors.

Bless little Reynolds, he is now safe and happy waiting over the bridge.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
:sosad: that people don' t take care of these little sweethearts.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Why do people have animals when they can't afford the necessary things for them?? It realy makes me angry. My pups are my grandchildren and they will get the best I can afford.

Mama S.
03-30-2006, 02:01 PM
I came close to losing Oscar not a week after I got him due to parvo:( More idiots who can keep breeding puppies but won't spend a dime on shots then dump them when no one wants them.
Poor Reynolds - didn't even get a chance.
SAndi

Patt
03-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Reynolds. A :candle3: is lit for the newest :angel7: at the Bridge.

K2
03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Poor little guy! Saying a special :pray: for the newest :angel7:

Chrystyna
03-30-2006, 02:14 PM
It really does make me sick! When we got the email this morning saying this guy was just found by the staff and he was in trouble my heart sank. I just think of how scared he must have been! UGH! I hate people who can do this to a poor animal!!!

laura
03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
So sad...Our vet tells us that heartworm preventative is not necessary in California. No one ever talks about it and you never hear of deaths from it. I remember when I lived briefly in Oklahoma that it was a big deal. Is it a regional thing? More prevalent in the midwest and southwest?

JanUet
03-30-2006, 02:23 PM
The news of Reynolds saddens me, I have tears in my eyes. I am so :bleep: mad at the people that had him before he went to the shelter!

Why, Oh Why do ignorant people own animals?
Senseless is the right word to use!!!!!

May he be happy running at the bridge with all the other :angel7:'s that have passed before him.

Chrystyna
03-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it's not something to worry about in CA. Our dogs were never on HW preventative there. When I found out I was moving to TX my vet in CA told me to make sure I got to a vet there right away to get the animals started on it. It's definitely a regional thing.

My parents are moving from CA to TX in a few months and before they come I'll get their dogs started on preventative!

laura
03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Good idea...thanks for the education!

Bella's Mom
03-30-2006, 02:52 PM
It's hard enough reading the story but seeing his picture....:sad3: I will pray for his little soul.... it is senseless.

Frzframe
03-30-2006, 04:00 PM
How awful. Poor little guy and your right he didn't have to go through it at all. :(

quavec
03-30-2006, 04:04 PM
That breaks my heart. We have a big need for heartworm prevention down here. The mosquitos are pretty much here year round. It truly isn't that expensive down here either. About $17 for a 3 mos supply for Cricket's size. Now, that flea and tick stuff?! That is pricey - but again, very necessary down here.

areese
03-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Poor poor baby. He was SO beautiful. That is so sad. Sheer laziness and not caring...I don't get it..:confused:

areese
03-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah, it's not something to worry about in CA. Our dogs were never on HW preventative there. When I found out I was moving to TX my vet in CA told me to make sure I got to a vet there right away to get the animals started on it. It's definitely a regional thing.

My parents are moving from CA to TX in a few months and before they come I'll get their dogs started on preventative!

They can wait to give it until they get out there. From what I understand, the preventative isn't really a PREVENTATIVE at all. What it is is a treatment that kills the very young worms before they travel to the heart. So when we go to Florida in the winter for two weeks, I get the stuff when we get back, in case they were infected while we were down there (in MIchigan, we just use it May- Nov or Dec.) It doesn't keep them from becoming infected, but kills the baby heartworm larvae.

lotsadox
03-30-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm so sorry Courtney. :sorry: I know what you mean. People make me so mad sometimes. :mad2: