PDA

View Full Version : Now what, James???

Alex's Mom
09-06-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm not sure if this should be in the medical forum or in the mental health forum :). James has decided he doesn't want to eat any more, or at least not his food. This is a dog who inhaled his food a few days ago. He's been acting really weird since I went away, and I haven't had a chance to talk to Nancy (she underwent surgery on Tuesday) to see how he was while I was away.

Anyway.....the first day back, he spent more time looking for Nancy then wanting to talk to his mom. He ate, but I had to coax him. Yesterday, he, who is usually agitating to eat by 4:30 am, actually had to be pried out of bed at 6, and again, coaxed to eat. Same with his supper. Not interested at all. Nothing's changed, same food, same meds, same routine. He is happy to eat a treat, mind you!! This morning, same thing. In fact, I had to hand feed him to get him to eat any of it. I took a look in his mouth to see if there was anything obvious, but didn't see anything. He's also been on antibiotics for the last 6 weeks (2 more weeks to go) for his liver, so that should have helped any infection in his mouth. Laura's away until next week too. I've started working outside the house 2 or 3 days a week (it may become full time in the next little while), and he was not happy about that either. It's just one thing after another lately, and I'm scared he's going to leave me too.

Rae
09-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Of course you're scared. You have had a run of losses that would send anyone into the fetal position!

Hoping he's just in a mood.

Yolanda
09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
I think he is just testing you and do not worry. Give him his food and take it up after 30 minutes and then do not try and coach him ot eat. In 32 hours he will be begging for his food. Oh no treats until he eats unles you need it for meds.

He is James and he has a mind of his own.

SasatheRusty
09-06-2012, 09:13 AM
He will get back to himself. Try not to worry.

lotsadox
09-06-2012, 09:15 AM
I think he is just testing you and do not worry. Give him his food and take it up after 30 mmin utes and then do not try and coach him ot eat. In 32 hours he will be begging for his food. Oh no treats til he eats unles you need it for meds.

I agree. ^^^^^^^^ Since he'll take treats, it's a test. I'd do what Yo says and see what happens. A few hours without food won't hurt him. He might even lose some lbs.

Rae
09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree. ^^^^^^^^ Since he'll take treats, it's a test. I'd do what Yo says and see what happens. A few hours without food won't hurt him. He might even lose some lbs.

Hey you - skinny chick! We lardbuckets LIKE our food thank you! On behalf of JJR and myself, and chubsters all over, we'd just like a little variety please.

lol. Hope he's all better very soon. :)

Mama S.
09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Hey you - skinny chick! We lardbuckets LIKE our food thank you! On behalf of JJR and myself, and chubsters all over, we'd just like a little variety please.

lol. Hope he's all better very soon. :)

what she said!!!!

Lisa
09-06-2012, 02:26 PM
I am going to go with Yo on this one :) I too think it is a test, or him being pissed that you left him. Or if it is like when I go away, Grammy tends to "spoil" the little buggers and their regular food just isn't as appealing. :sosad:

If he is eating his treats, he is okay. I know James isn't the symbol of glowing health, and I don't want to say it is nothing, because it could be something, or it could just be him being doxie. I too know you have had way to many loses, in too short of a period, but it comes with the turf of giving your heart to older dogs and giving them the love they never had before. And you are awesome!! And welcome home. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

lotsadox
09-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Miller is fasting in solidarity with James :rolleyes: Solidarity for what, I have no idea.

This morning he wouldn't eat his food, but I tossed a couple treats in his crate and they were gone when I came home :conf4: Still wouldn't eat his food when I was home at noon but gobbled up the treats that I give them when I leave.

Alex's Mom
09-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Confirming what I've already suspected....these guys have an underground communications network!!!!! :conf4:

wawailc
09-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Confirming what I've already suspected....these guys have an underground communications network!!!!! :conf4:

I wouldn't doubt it! :rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously I hope that James is feeling better soon! Some non-eating rayz :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
09-07-2012, 11:28 AM
How is James feeling today?

lotsadox
09-07-2012, 12:32 PM

I think they do!! Miller wimped out though and all his dinner in record time last night. I guess solidarity only lasts until the tummy is really empty :conf4:

Alex's Mom
09-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I honestly don't know. He ate his supper ok last night, again I had to hand feed him this morning. :scratch::scratch: I guess I'm so concerned because every dog I've ever had has slowed down or stopped completely with eating a few months before they crossed. And he's always been a hoover dog :rolleyes:. However, he's not showing any other signs of illness (his shoulder seems to have sorted itself out) so no borrowing trouble!!

LexieLuvr
09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Just in case :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:!!!

alfina
09-07-2012, 09:24 PM
When was the last time his kidney function was checked? Just an idea.

RustysMom
09-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Im sorry Im just seeing this. Im with Yo. How is he doing today? yes it is scary and we become very concerned :hug99:

oceangirls
09-10-2012, 05:17 PM
When was the last time his kidney function was checked? Just an idea.

I was thinking that too... and liver function can affect kidney function...

:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
09-10-2012, 06:26 PM
We did his bloodwork about 5 weeks ago (when we discovered the liver stuff). At that point, his kidneys were fine. After my experience with Jules, that was one of my first thoughts too!!!

He's up and down. Sometimes he eats happily, sometimes not. My sister and BIL were here for the weekend...poor guy...his schedule is totally screwed up, and life has been topsy turvy for too long for his liking! And to top it all off, I'm getting my piano back (SO excited!!), and the only room I can put it in is what was my bedroom, so I had to switch my bedroom and the TV room, and of course, that stressed him out to the max.

So I don't know...could be stress, could be illness, could just be James being James :rolleyes:. He's not starving to death. As long as he keeps eating the pill pockets with his meds, we're good for now. Until the next crisis!!! :rotfl:

areese
09-10-2012, 06:39 PM
he might just not hoover as much because he's adjusted to being the only dog.
Laika used to pick at her food...skip a meal here and there until I got Owen, then she scarfed and always does. James has had food competition always and now he doesn't so perhaps his hooverness has just decreased. I''d do the good old leaving the food down for 10 minutes then putting it up until his next meal.
I don't think it means he is going to pass away. Really.
If he's eating pill pockets, he's good.
I really wouldn't get into the hand feeding routine unless it's been days since he ate. He's gonna train you, ya know!!!!!!!

Rae
09-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Oooooh. No food competition is brilliant thinking, Amy!

Alex's Mom
09-11-2012, 06:12 AM
I really wouldn't get into the hand feeding routine unless it's been days since he ate. He's gonna train you, ya know!!!!!!!

It may be too late :rotfl::rotfl: I like that FB post a couple of days ago..."Dachsies don't do tricks, they train their humans to give them treats!" Sad but true around here! :rolleyes:

But you may have the rights of it, Amy. I'm wondering if my going away and him being left for the first time by himself with Nancy finally triggered in him that he's an only dog now. Cuz that's when all this started.

Life in the Romanow household has taken a 90 degree turn in many many ways in the last month...mostly for the good. This could just be James contributing in his own little way to that! :)

Yolanda
09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Life in the Romanow household has taken a 90 degree turn in many many ways in the last month...mostly for the good. This could just be James contributing in his own little way to that! :)

I like it as long as all is well. :hug99::hug99:

Patt
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Lots of good advice already given. Poor James has had a lot of changes in his life lately, it sounds like he's not dealing with it to well. When all settles down and life becomes a routine again he'll be happy. :crossfin::crossfin:

Sending lots of feel good :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for your sweet boy.