PDA

View Full Version : My vet is an idiot

squirrel818
03-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Remember I posted about Weenies surgery for his lump. Well, it just popped. I noticed that it looked like it was opening up and sort of had a "head" on it. He let me squeeze it(yuck!) and pus came out and now it's half the size! Do dogs get pimples? I'm canceling the surgery and making an apointment with a different vet. Fatty deposit my a$$! He probably would have squeezed it all out and charges me $300 for surgery.
It looks exactly like a pimple but I'm going to take him to a different vet just to make sure. Do you think thats a good idea?

AgileOllie
03-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Sounds like an ingrown hair....

Courtney
03-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes, I think a second opinion is a great idea!

LUVMYGUNNER
03-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I had a basset that periodically got lumps and when they were lanced by the vet it looked like little tomatoe seeds. I would put a little peroxide on it or some kind of antibiotic.

Jill
03-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Bailey man had a big ingrown hair on his lip! it was really kinda gross.

K2
03-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Sounds like a second opinion is a great idea. Let us know what he/she says.

Lisa
03-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Yes, I think that is a great idea! Second opinions never hurt - I do think you should get him in. He might need cream to prevent infection. I think they can get zits and boils, though I am in NO way an expert on that.

JanUet
03-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I would definitely get a second opinion! And let them know what your current Vet had mentioned about the surgery!

squirrel818
03-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I've never had much confidence in this vet. I'm going to bite the bullet and drive the 45 minutes to the vet in the city. I will get him in righta away though! I don't want him to get an infection!

areese
03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Prob. and ingrown hair or a sebaceous (sp??) cyst I'm thinking. MY pig gets them...

Patt
03-30-2006, 07:44 PM
It could be anything, from a simple pimple to an abscess. Did your vet aspirate the lump to see if it was a lipoma? If you do not like your current vet by all means try another, it is very important to have confidence in your vet. Be sure to keep the wound clean because infection could set right in. Good luck and let us know what your new vet has to say.

Mama S.
03-30-2006, 08:02 PM
I think a 2nd opinion might be a good idea. Couldn't hurt! Never had that one with the herd... let us know what happens!
SAndi

Nancy
03-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Yuck!! A second opinion is a good idea, just in case!

Yolanda
03-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Wipe with some proxide and pat it dry. Getting a second opinion is really a good idea. In your case the sopt was probably an ingrown hair that developed into a pimple. However, it could also (but probably not) be a life long problem.

My Sassy has a problem with her immune systems and gets "staph infections" on her skin. They start like a small pimple with an "oilly" feeling and can quickly spread to become abcessed. She has to be bath at least twice a week in a Hexadene Medicated Shampoo. I also keep a supply of antibotics here at home for her to use if needed.

Ok, I did not mean to scare you but check it out please.

lotsadox
03-30-2006, 08:30 PM
I had a dog years ago that got 2 of those. I think the vet said that they were cysts. One of them the vet had to remove, the other we got to open and just kept it clean and it healed up fine.

I would definitely take him to a vet and let him look at it.

Jen
03-30-2006, 08:55 PM
I think a second opinion is a very wise idea--road trip!! What city will you go to?

Alex's Mom
03-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Alex has had sebaceous (sp??) cysts that get like that too. They seem to grow like a white head and then pop (with a bit of help...:shifteye: ) and then I swab with peroxide. But you can never be too careful with lumps and bumps! A second opionion (and a new vet!) is a good idea!!! Let us know what it turns out to be!

Tanya
03-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Let us know what the 2nd opinion is...good thing this happened before the surgery. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Weenie!

Bella's Mom
03-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I agree, a second opinion is a great idea! Hope everything comes back okay! Sending some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: your way!

oceangirls
03-31-2006, 07:36 PM
agree with the advice given - still could be a type of cyst, but a second opinion is a good idea... especially if you are not pleased with your vet overall.

catstamm
03-31-2006, 09:14 PM
If it was under his eye I'd get his teeth checked too..... hopefully it's just a zit and your vet is a kook!