PDA

View Full Version : Spay

Rae
10-26-2012, 09:20 PM
I have always heard, and Dr Brian concurs, that one gets a pup spayed at 6 months, so I've made an appointment for Tuesday.

Isn't that right? I'm freaked slick out of course... And he's going to remove her front dewclaws...

Which freaks me out too.

Of course. How did this baby get to be 6 months old?

Sigh. I worry... And will be cleaning carpet under the bed again tomorrow. Headed to my Mom's tomorrow afternoon to fall festival with the nephew, stay the night and go to church then birthday lunch for mom and dad, then getting my hair done.

Savannah's going too, so rayz and Valium appreciated :)

AnnMarieK
10-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Here are some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: you're on your own for the Valium...:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

RustysMom
10-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Many many rayz!

Rusty was neutered at 6 months. Your right.

Rae
10-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Ann-Marie: I have the Valium covered. I just worry. Dr. Brian is great, Robin assured me that she will hold her paw... But that's my BABY!!!!

(sigh)

She is the sweetest darn thing....

Opaleyz
10-26-2012, 10:16 PM
sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:!

Yolanda
10-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Sweetie, it will be fine and she will do great.

Enjoy the weekend.

Take care

Kasianni
10-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Sending lots of spay :bigrayz:. We all worry when its done, some more than others. (like myself :rolleyes:) Why are you removing her dewclaws?

Alex's Mom
10-27-2012, 06:32 AM
I know it's hard not to worry, but she'll be fine. You...well...:rotfl::rotfl: Spaying at 6months is good! MUCH better than having to go through a heat cycle :). Enjoy yourself this weekend, and Miss SJ, you behave yourself! :hug99::hug99:

K2
10-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Of course you're worried. It's what Mom's do.
But she will be fine.
And we will all be here to hold your hand and offer words of comfort~because that's what families do.
:hug99:

lotsadox
10-27-2012, 11:36 AM
When I worked at SNAP the general rule was to spay at 6 months or 6 lbs (preferably both) so you're good. Enjoy your weekend and block off that bed! I had to block mine off when Cash had his back problems because he likes to squeeze under our very old very low bed and I figured that couldn't be a good thing.

Rae
10-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Patrice blocking off the bed is definitely on the to-do list!!

I

SasatheRusty
10-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I thought they get spayed after their first heat? Also, why the dew claws? Either way she is in good hands with you. I understand why u r nervous. Remember, the decision you and the doctor make will be fine. Sending rays!!!

Alex's Mom
10-27-2012, 02:48 PM
I thought they get spayed after their first heat? Also, why the dew claws?

Absolutely no reason to wait for the first heat to spay!!! They've more or less reached full growth at 6 months (they'll generally fill out up to a year or so, but the main growth is done), and any time between 6-8 months is good. Why put them (and you) through the misery of a heat cycle?? No fun for anyone. The dew claws are optional, but they do tend to get caught and ripped off sometimes, so not a bad idea, esp. for an active outdoor doggie living on a farm :).

Kasianni
10-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Absolutely no reason to wait for the first heat to spay!!! They've more or less reached full growth at 6 months (they'll generally fill out up to a year or so, but the main growth is done), and any time between 6-8 months is good. Why put them (and you) through the misery of a heat cycle?? No fun for anyone. The dew claws are optional, but they do tend to get caught and ripped off sometimes, so not a bad idea, esp. for an active outdoor doggie living on a farm :).

Paula, I have heard its illegal in some states now to remove dewclaws as the pain of removing them out weighs the risks, is this true? I thought they only removed them on hunting dogs as there is a greater risk for them to get the claw caught on something.

LexieLuvr
10-28-2012, 07:16 PM
TONS of spay :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: - in advance!

Lisa
10-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Pretzel and Pepsi both were born with rear dewclaws and they were removed for their safety. I didn't even know you could remove front dew claws?!? Cool. It will make nail trims easier because those ones are so darn tough to access.

Yes, we have always spayed and neutered at 6 months. It also gives the vet a chance to look at the teeth and remove any stubborn baby ones that need a bit of help.

She'll be good. I would say she may be quiet for a couple of days, but I am sure your little girl will be booting around by noon LOL.

Rae
10-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Pretzel and Pepsi both were born with rear dewclaws and they were removed for their safety. I didn't even know you could remove front dew claws?!? Cool. It will make nail trims easier because those ones are so darn tough to access.

Yes, we have always spayed and neutered at 6 months. It also gives the vet a chance to look at the teeth and remove any stubborn baby ones that need a bit of help.

She'll be good. I would say she may be quiet for a couple of days, but I am sure your little girl will be booting around by noon LOL.

I bet you are right!! Bless her sweet heart she slept well last night and did NOT want to get up this morning - we were only up twice and I have developed the ability to drop RIGHT back off to sleep after a potty excursion.

It's common practice around here to remove the front dew claws. I had no idea that different areas had different practices on such :scratch:

oceangirls
10-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Definitely spay before a first heat if you can. I think one of our cockers went through one cycle, but otherwise we've spayed prior - SO much simpler.

We had dewclaws removed on at least one... I can't recall which :scratch:. I am sure it would be painful, but that's why they suggest doing it with the spay since they're anesthetized then.

Rayz!!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
10-29-2012, 01:49 PM
I bet you are right!! Bless her sweet heart she slept well last night and did NOT want to get up this morning - we were only up twice and I have developed the ability to drop RIGHT back off to sleep after a potty excursion.

It's common practice around here to remove the front dew claws. I had no idea that different areas had different practices on such :scratch:

:cheer3::cheer3: for sleeping!!! I know it's illegal to do tail docks and ear crops in NS, but am not sure about dew claws. I don't think it's as complicated (or deep) as declawing a cat, but am not sure about that! It's not common practice here. Interesting!!

Rae
10-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Duchie didn't have dewclaws when I found her - I know a lot of folks remove them as puppies, while they are still cartilage... I think Tonya mentioned removing some from a littler not long ago.

Savannah is such a wild child I DO worry about her ripping one off which would be very painful.

Kasianni
10-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Duchie didn't have dewclaws when I found her - I know a lot of folks remove them as puppies, while they are still cartilage... I think Tonya mentioned removing some from a littler not long ago.

Savannah is such a wild child I DO worry about her ripping one off which would be very painful.

If Savannah is that wild, I'd probably do it too just to be safe. Must be really painful to have one caught on something. It's not a common practice here either, never heard of anyone removing them. Sending tons and tons of spay :bigrayz: for tomorrow. Everything is going to be just fine. I understand the worry involved, when Mika and Theo had it done my vet did them first thing in the morning so I didn't have to wait all day and worry. :rolleyes: Is Savannah staying over night at the vets or going home?

lotsadox
10-29-2012, 06:12 PM
My dogs now all have their dewclaws, but that's probably because they were all abandoned/neglected as puppies. Bogart had has his done when I got him at 12 weeks. I know Bandit had hers, not sure about Pebbles. I'd have to look at some pics. I look at it as less nails to trim :rolleyes:

Rae
10-29-2012, 07:21 PM
She's going in at 7:30 and Robin will call me when she's awake. I'll go pick her up mid-afternoon.

Wednesday will be a quiet in-office day for me, and I plan to take her with me so I can keep an eye on her.

Thanks for all the concern, my friends... I'm trying to remember it's routine, but it's really only routine when it's not my dog!

Yolanda
10-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Sweetie, it is routine, yet we all know sh*t happens and that is why we are all doing the :bigrayz::bigrayz: for SJ and :hug99::hug99: for Momnmy.

SasatheRusty
10-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Prayers for SJ and her mommy! We collectively worry for each other

Rae
10-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Savannah Jane is spayed and doing well. :love98:

She's still groggy but Brian called me a few minutes ago to say she did fine and that barring any complications I can pick her up this afternoon...

We talked this morning and he looked at her dewclaws again. He noted that they are close to the paw and not sticking out a lot, and said as mischevous and active as she is, he thinks we should wait and remove them next year IF they bother her...

So we're leaving them on for now after all!

AND he offered head-slapping insight into why she won't sleep in the big bed!! It's so simple and so easy...I think I have mentioned before that we pretty well live in the bedroom. Old house, bedroom is big, split HVAC units, no sense in heating and cooling half the house just for the living room.

SO Brian said "the bedroom is fun-time playtime playspace. The living room is just for sleeping... so that's where she goes to sleep. She's backward in her head from what YOU want her to be because YOU and Sutton play in the sleeping place and you've been sleeping in the playing place." um. yeah!

areese
10-30-2012, 10:48 AM
:) :) :) :) :) :)

Alex's Mom
10-30-2012, 10:49 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: for a great update!!! I've been thinking about you all morning. Many many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for a quick and easy recovery (none of mine have ever had any issues even on the day!!). And just as many :hug99::hug99::hug99: for her mom.

and a big :appl::appl: for Dr. Brian...I'd just bet he's absolutely right. So how are you going to adjust it? :)

RustysMom
10-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Wonderful update!:cheer3:

I agree about where shes sleeping when you put it that way.

Rae
10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure what we're gong to DO about it... but I'd say understanding (Why the heck did I not get this?? makes perfect sense!) will be a big step toward fixing it.

SasatheRusty
10-30-2012, 12:11 PM
What a relief to hear from you about Savannah Jane. Personally I am relieved the Vet chose to leave her dew claws intact. She will have an easier recovery. Rest easy mommy Rae, you girl will be fine!<3

lotsadox
10-30-2012, 12:17 PM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: For the good update and also for figuring out why SJ doesn't want to sleep in the big bed. I've never had that problem. Probably because my dogs are such couch potatoes that they will sleep anywhere! :rotfl:

LexieLuvr
10-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Your vet has great insight - and "dog knowledge." Totally logical deduction and I suspect he's right.

So glad she did well with her spay!! Sending healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
10-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Glad the spay went well. :cheer3: As active as she is, I'd try to keep her in a area where she can not jump or hurt herself. Thanks for the update was thinking about Savannah and sending positive vibes this am for your little girl.

Rae
10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
We are home. She's wrapped up in her blankie in my lap in the recliner resting comfortably.

Thanks everyone.

lotsadox
10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
We are home. She's wrapped up in her blankie in my lap in the recliner resting comfortably.

Thanks everyone.

:sillylove::sillylove::sillylove:

Ivan
10-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Yippee! Good update. SJ is happy in mommy's arms and is recouperating. Hope the vet's epiphany is helpful. Sure makes eminent sense. I like Dr. Brian.

K2
10-30-2012, 06:59 PM
:cheer3:So glad she's home.:cheer3:
I know you were worried. But it's all okay.
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for fast healing!
:hug99::hug99::hug99:

Alex's Mom
10-30-2012, 07:00 PM
:cheer3::cheer3: :bigrayz::hug99::bigrayz::hug99: :bigrayz:

Rae
10-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Poor little stoned thing. Her daddy sure won't let her out of his sight :)

AnnMarieK
10-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Great update...:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Rae
10-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Poor baby is pitiful. Breaking my heart.

SasatheRusty
10-31-2012, 01:16 AM
The first night Is awful. Did he give you some tramadol for her? The poor doggie does not understand why she is hurting. Call the Vet in the morning. Their suffering just breaks your heart.

Rae
10-31-2012, 08:03 AM
He sent her home doped up. She's better this morning, thank goodness. They pulled a few remaining baby teeth so she had mouth pain in addition to belly pain with a side order of stoned and confused. She couldn't get comfortable last night and I was afraid one of us would squish her or bump her on accident so I didn't sleep well either until we moved to the couch.

alfina
10-31-2012, 08:11 AM
My vet always sent home additional pain meds to take before bed and in the morning after.

Kasianni
10-31-2012, 01:25 PM
My vet too always sent them home with extra pain meds for a few days. Its much more painful on the female then on the males as with the female they have to cut through the the abdominal muscles and it is quite painful. Its only been 24hrs, I'd get some meds for your little girl if possible. Sending lots of :bigrayz:for Savannah.

Rae
10-31-2012, 02:16 PM
She's wired for bear. Wagging her entire body :)

Yolanda
10-31-2012, 05:00 PM
She's wired for bear. Wagging her entire body :)

As she should be. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

SasatheRusty
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
The resilience of youth is wonderful. The spay/neuter thing is the worst part of dog ownership. It makes you feel so guilty causing them pain even though there are health benefits. So glad when this is all past and we all can get on with the business of life. Post op pictures please of her waggly tail attitude:)

Rae
10-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Omg you are so right about the guilt!!!

I might have accidentally bought her a stuffed chicken toy this morning. Totally a guilt purchase. Totally.

Mama S.
10-31-2012, 10:38 PM
damn I suck - where have I been?????? Sigh.......

So bewy glad that Miss SJ did well and that life is wonderful again!!!