PDA

View Full Version : Can a doxie's tail grow at 5 years old?

Auggie's Mom
03-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Ok, this is weird...

For the last three months, Auggie has been on an allergy diet due to some skin problems he had been having. The skin problems are gone, although he still has runny eyes all the time.

Better yet, he's lost some weight and looks very svelte and in good shape. Lately, I've noticed that his tail seems longer. Like at least three inches longer. I kind of assumed I was crazy, but my boyfriend came over yesterday and said "Did Auggie's tail get longer?"

Is that even possible?:scratch:

catstamm
03-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Maybe it looks longer because he's thinner....or his coat thickned up from the food and his tail looks longer :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: Thier tail is bone!

Lisa
03-31-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't think their tail can ever grow past the puppy stage. Pogo has a broken tail and has since before we got him, we call it his club! I believe their tail is part of their backbone.

I agree, the weight loss is probably making his tail look bigger (smaller butt). Keep up the fantastic work though, Auggie sounds like she is doing super! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Patt
03-31-2006, 10:10 PM
ITA, he's trimming down and looking better than ever. :appl: Thanks to your TLC. :)

K2
04-01-2006, 09:48 AM
I agree with what's already been said. It just goes to show you that your hard work is paying off and the extra weight is coming off! :appl:

oceangirls
04-01-2006, 10:05 AM
I just can't really imagine there is anything wrong with his tail... if a dog developed a tumor (malignant or benign) of bone or tissue there, you would probably not see a symmetrical lengthening - there would be a lump or swelling and (with bone) probably pain. You could always run it by the vet if you're concerned, but it is most likely just as everyone else suggested :)Wouldn't hurt to measure it now so you can monitor.

Maybe he is like Pinocchio and his tail gets longer when he lies about who chewed your shoe or got in the garbage? :D

Bella's Mom
04-01-2006, 10:47 AM
I too think it could be because he's lost weight. Glad to hear Auggie is improving! :cheer2:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Yup. It' s because he' s lost weight. My dogs tail is even thinner when they lost weight.
The tail is part of the backbone, just like our tailbone is part of ours. Did anyone know that we have a little tail on the end of our spine?