PDA

View Full Version : Bosco - Seizures at vet now

Frzframe
11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
My mom called to let me know they were at the vet's office with Bosco because he was having a seizure. I guess he had one earlier while outside but they weren't sure thats what happened so they took him inside. He then had another one that lasted for quite a while (the got to the vet's office before he came out of it). They are with the vet now so we'll see what she has to say. Poor Bosco has been "off" for a little while so I hope we can get this under control. :(

SasatheRusty
11-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Hope he is doing ok. How old us he and was he having a problem before this? Was he in on meds?

Alex's Mom
11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: coming your way, Shonda!! Anxiously waiting to hear an update. :hug99::hug99: for you and your parents.

Frzframe
11-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Hope he is doing ok. How old us he and was he having a problem before this? Was he in on meds?

He's about 13 and no not on any meds except billberry (natural) for his eyes. Still no word the vet got called away for another emergency so they are still at the vets office.

Rae
11-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Scary, and I'm so sorry! Glad he's at the vet and hoping the vet will soon be there too!!!

Frzframe
11-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Blood test show high liver enzymes (13,000 instead of under 1,000 if I remember correctly) and high white cell count. So he'll go in tomorrow for a bile acid test and we'll go from there.

lotsadox
11-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I haven't been online all day. I'm so sorry, Shonda. Bogart started having those kind of readings on his liver enzymes and it was caused from heartworm preventative. I hope Bosco's is as simple as that.

Kasianni
11-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Sending lots of love and :bigrayz:for Bosco. :crossfin:for a good update tomorrow.

BeauBuddy
11-01-2012, 09:49 PM
So sorry to hear this! Glad he's at the vet and under care.

SasatheRusty
11-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know why Doxies seem to be prone to seizures?

K2
11-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Oh no!!! Sending lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
11-02-2012, 10:40 AM
So sorry to hear that! My Lexie had a seizure about a week ago or so and hasn't had another so we're praying it was a one-time thing. I hope your vet can nail down the cause and it will be easy to resolve!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Lisa
11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Update please!!!

LexieLuvr
11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know why Doxies seem to be prone to seizures?
No, but I've read somewhere that they are one of the breeds that are prone to seizures. A genetic thing, I suspect.

Frzframe
11-02-2012, 10:56 AM
He's at the vet again this am having more blood work done. He'll actually have two today 1 before he eats and the 2nd one after he's eaten. We hope this can be managed with his diet and that its not cancer. He reminds me of Paula's James with the way he's been acting.

Mama S.
11-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Yikes - sending lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
He's at the vet again this am having more blood work done. He'll actually have two today 1 before he eats and the 2nd one after he's eaten. We hope this can be managed with his diet and that its not cancer. He reminds me of Paula's James with the way he's been acting.

It really does sound like James!! His is hepatoencphalopathy (HEP), and as soon as he got on the lactulose and on a really low protein diet, it started to behave itself really quickly. He'll be on it for the rest of his life, but it's cheap and just goes into his food. However, you have to make sure he gets NO extra protein, not even meat treats. James isn't too fussy about the taste of the lactulose, so I've been dribbling a very little bit of chicken broth on his food to "fool" him :rolleyes: (it's been working, mind you!), and if I give him too much, he has another episode. :crossfin::crossfin: that poor Bosco is as easy to treat!!

stampendoxie
11-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Poor Bosco, sending :bigrayz: that it is something easily treatable. Hugs for Mom.

SaxLady
11-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Sending mega :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for little Bosco. For Shonda :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Frzframe
11-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Well at that test told us that yes he has high liver numbers too. Still not sure what is causing it but since Friday's anitobic shot he's feeling more like himself so it maybe be just an infection so now he's on meds for that. BUT, we want to go ahead and start him on a low protein diet to help his liver out. SOOO, Paula if you're reading this can you tell me what you feed James? Do you make his food or is it store bought?

Tex
11-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Sending mega :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for little Bosco. For Shonda :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Huge ditto here. What's up with all our fur-kids lately?

SasatheRusty
11-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Glad he doing better. What a relief, I know.

Alex's Mom
11-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Well at that test told us that yes he has high liver numbers too. Still not sure what is causing it but since Friday's anitobic shot he's feeling more like himself so it maybe be just an infection so now he's on meds for that. BUT, we want to go ahead and start him on a low protein diet to help his liver out. SOOO, Paula if you're reading this can you tell me what you feed James? Do you make his food or is it store bought?

This is the one time when store-bought veterinary diets are preferable to home made because it's REALLY hard to regulate protein levels as closely as they need to be monitored with home made food. I feed James the Medical Low Protein kibble; I don't know if you can get Medical in the US. Most of the veterinary diets have some variant of low protein...either k/d or l/d (liver diet) from Hills work just as well. (Medical is slightly cheaper which is why I'm using it.) Also re: antibiotics...James is permanently on amoxycillin (sp?) for his liver...that's part of the treatment too. It does sound like what James has. (Ask the vet about putting him on lactulose...cheap, and VERY effective!!) Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: coming at you guys!! Keep us posted, Shonda, ok?

Frzframe
11-04-2012, 12:47 PM
This is the one time when store-bought veterinary diets are preferable to home made because it's REALLY hard to regulate protein levels as closely as they need to be monitored with home made food. I feed James the Medical Low Protein kibble; I don't know if you can get Medical in the US. Most of the veterinary diets have some variant of low protein...either k/d or l/d (liver diet) from Hills work just as well. (Medical is slightly cheaper which is why I'm using it.) Also re: antibiotics...James is permanently on amoxycillin (sp?) for his liver...that's part of the treatment too. It does sound like what James has. (Ask the vet about putting him on lactulose...cheap, and VERY effective!!) Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: coming at you guys!! Keep us posted, Shonda, ok?

Thanks. I'll let my parents know.

LexieLuvr
11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Many recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Bosco - hoping the new diet and meds will help with the recovery quickly!!