PDA

View Full Version : Oscar is a very big boy now

Kerie
04-01-2006, 11:45 AM
We went to the vet today for Oscar's annual shots. Oscar now weighs 19 lbs 10 oz!!! The vet said that he looks good and this is prob. his adult weight. He was 18.5 lbs last year and under 18 lbs after he was sick last summer. My dad recently commented that he has grown. He does look good. He just turned 2, or so we think. We were never sure if we had his age right.

Vet was that his stomach will probably always be an an issue and just to watch it.

So, I originally said he was a small standard. Now, I guess he is just about average for a standard. He still looks small to me b/c my departed Lengthy was overweight (from treats from my dad).

Helen
04-01-2006, 11:49 AM
What? No pictures of your strapping young man? :D I'm glad he had a good check-up. :woohoo:

lotsadox
04-01-2006, 11:50 AM
I LOVE standards! I had 2. Pebbles was 18-21 lbs depending on how much her hoodad was home to feed her treats and Bandit was about 20 lbs. I have always wanted another standard. So what do I get? A 40+ lbs lab/dachsie mix! :scratch: The Lord works in mysterious ways! :banana:

K2
04-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds like he's healthy. But I agree~we need pics to see!

Kerie
04-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Sounds like he's healthy. But I agree~we need pics to see!

Well, I did post some recent pics--of him on the beach last weekend, and some more on the "show your dog's shnoz" thread. He is all sleepy after his shots. Maybe this is a good time to get some more pics.

And he's also doing great on his training exercises (geared to help with his resource guarding issues). He trades his food bowl for a treat very easily now. He has learned to "earn" his meal by sitting calmly while I prepare it instead of trying to snatch it from me. We have not gotten to the stage of asking him to trade his favorite stuffed Kong yet b/c we are supposed to progress slowly. I'm proud of my boy.

ETA--Vet said his teeth look great. All I really do is brush them once every few weeks, when I remember. So, that plus the fact that he is young, is keeping him from a dental for a bit longer!

Bella's Mom
04-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Awww...your little boy is all grown up. Glad to hear his shots went okay and there is no such thing as too many pics! :banana:

Jen
04-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Wow, Oscar is a big boy! Glad the checkup went well and the training is helping with the aggression issues. :cheer2:

Mama S.
04-02-2006, 07:16 PM
:appl: :cheer2: :hula1: all around for great news for Oscar!!
Sandi

Kerie
04-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Well, he still wants to protect his space and he is very vigilant over his blanket. And Kongs have been removed temporarily. But the progress is nice. We had to learn what types of small things are considered progress with him.