PDA

View Full Version : Cosco...

ScarletBegonias
01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
took a couple steps today!:cheer3:
He has been standing up a lot better and more obviously using his back legs to do so. Still wagging his tail. Started hiking his leg very strongly to pee. Today when Robbie took him out to pee, he had to bend over to fix his shoe so he sat him down on his but for a minute and he stood up on his own and took a few steps! They were wobbly but they were there. When I got him to take him out he was so excited. It was like he could finally feel back there again. He kept wanting to take off without me and kept looking at me like "Mom, geeze, let go of my butt!" This ads a whole new level of complication though, as he cannot really walk yet, but doesn't want me to hold onto him. Not really sure how I'm going to get him to pee like this. A harness, leash and sling I guess? I have a feeling thats going to feel like trying to control one of those trick kites that has the two handles lol.
Anyway, I am so happy I could cry and I can't wait to see what his next progress is. He is so the best dog ever and I can't wait to walk him up the in the vets office and show him off to all the non-believers lol. Remember us? Huh?!
Thinking back I can't believe its only been about a month. I feel like we've been doing this forever but he has made good improvement and this is a huge step and a great start to a new year!

lotsadox
01-08-2013, 11:18 PM
OMG, this is the best news! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: For just 4 weeks, I think that's awesome improvement. I had to keep a firm grip on the leash with Bogart once he could walk. He was like "I can walk now, I want to RUN!" It takes a bit of practice but you can use one hand for the leash and one for the sling. I'm just so happy that he's up and walking. What a huge step!

I was the same way about the vet with Bogart. The e-vet told me that he would never walk again, I took him back to show them that he had no problem walking at all! :appl::appl:

SasatheRusty
01-08-2013, 11:28 PM
So happy. Those of us who have seen miracles send you heartfelt love & joy!

Lisa
01-09-2013, 08:27 AM
That is AWESOME!! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Please keep him on a leash and sling. It is so hard when they have energy and want to GO, but the disc has NOT calcified yet. You have to let that material fully harden to prevent re-injury. I know it hard (believe me, I know). Since he is starting to walk maybe see if you can get an appointment with a certified physio therapist. They can give you specific exercises to do which are very different from surgery to conservative care IVDD cases. But the focus needs to be on rest still.

Rae
01-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Thats great news!!! Keep up the rest and sling like Lisa said so that he can continue to heal. Thrilled at the good report!

Alex's Mom
01-09-2013, 09:14 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: for such a great report!!!! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:, and I hope you DO take him in to your vet. Think of it as educating them :) and maybe the next disc dog that comes in will get treated differently!!

LexieLuvr
01-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Thats great news!!! Keep up the rest and sling like Lisa said so that he can continue to heal. Thrilled at the good report!
My sentiments exactly. Jack wanted to run out of his sling, too, and did for a couple of feet before I realized what had happened! Keep up the rest and sling - it's a juggling act with the harness and leash in one hand and the sling in another but it can be done. More recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:! So glad he's doing well.:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Ivan
01-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Yipee! Your boy is healing! It's a great signal that he'll recover, esp. if given another month to properly heal. Yay!:cheer3: As Lisa says, he'll have plenty of time to run around afterwards. Great news!

Frankie'sMom
01-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Great news!!!!! :cheer3::cheer3:

oceangirls
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
I have a feeling thats going to feel like trying to control one of those trick kites that has the two handles lol.

Or a marionette :rotfl:

Vets that say doxies can't recover from IVDD paralysis don't know doxies. Or their owners!!!

LexieLuvr
01-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Or a marionette :rotfl:

Vets that say doxies can't recover from IVDD paralysis don't know doxies. Or their owners!!!
How right you are!!! Their recovery ability is amazing. More Cosco :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Ivan
01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
How is Cosco doing nowadays? Is he getting any more mobile yet? Still in lockdown, I trust?

ScarletBegonias
02-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Cosco is doing well. He is still taking a few steps on his own. I've been trying a sling and leash but when I do he for some reason decides to just flop down and roll in the grass lol. So we've been pretty much being human walkers for him. We just hook a finger right under his hips on both sides and crab walking behind him. Its been pretty chilly out lately so he doesn't have much interest in staying outside long so this works for now. He is still on lock down in the pen when we aren't around. When we are he spends time with us on the couch. He's really being pretty good about not overdoing it but he has never been super active unless you really get him going anyway. He would run and jump and go crazy if you went outside and ran with him but he's never been the type to go nutso in the house. This is a blessing right now for sure. Mostly he's good, sleeps a lot, squeeks some toys lightly, lays on the couch next to me while I'm reading or watching tv. Just still waiting for more progress. It seems to come in spurts, like nothing new for a week or so and then a new thing, then a plateau again. He's gotten almost all of his bladder control back though which makes this all so much easier. (and cheaper, man all that laundry we did is still showing up on the power bill) He does still seem to have some bowel issues though which is odd to me that they aren't on the same track but its not really an issue. We still want to take him back to the vet so they can see his progress and maybe suggest some therapy but we've got to pay down a few of the bills from the first time around. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

lotsadox
02-01-2013, 10:09 AM
It sounds like he's really making good progress. :cheer3::cheer3: It can be very slow and like you say it can come in "fits and starts" as my grandma would have said. Sending continued :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Ivan
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Nice! That's great progress. It's only been about 1.5 months, so I suspect he's still got more healing to do. I'm glad he's becoming more of his normal self. Sending more rayz :bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
02-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Awesome news! More recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:!

ScarletBegonias
02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=588660218581&notif_t=video_processed

A little video of Cosco man walking with some help from Daddy, he's doing so good. I tried to get him to walk across the yard so you could see him working his legs better but of course since I had the camera he wanted to run straight to me lol

oceangirls
02-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I can't see the video, but glad he's doing well! :)

AnnMarieK
02-03-2013, 05:13 PM
I can't see the video, but glad he's doing well! :)

I can't see it either :sosad: I am happy he's improving !!!!

lotsadox
02-03-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=588660218581&notif_t=video_processed

A little video of Cosco man walking with some help from Daddy, he's doing so good. I tried to get him to walk across the yard so you could see him working his legs better but of course since I had the camera he wanted to run straight to me lol

It said the video was "currently unavailable". But it's good to know he's doing well and a camera hog. :rotfl::rotfl:

ScarletBegonias
02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
http://s662.beta.photobucket.com/user/mccluresm/media/coscowalking_zps2631cfe9.mp4.html there we go!

Ivan
02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Nope. It says this:

<quote>
Video Unavailable
This video has either been removed from Facebook or is not visible due to privacy settings.
</quote>

ScarletBegonias
02-04-2013, 11:05 PM
the new link is photobucket though? rrrrrawwwr. I will make this work

ScarletBegonias
02-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Photobucket again, maybe this time

http://s662.beta.photobucket.com/user/mccluresm/media/coscowalking_zps2631cfe9.mp4.html

Ivan
02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Yay, the video worked. It shows Cosco trying to run, and happy as all get out. Yay. Lucky boy, he's mending! I can't see whether those hind legs are moving, but the front legs & his wagging tail sure are working it. Yipee!

Um, that's a lot of running for one who is still on crate rest. Fwiw, our vet PT instructed us to hold back our excited furboy, to prevent him from running or bunny-hopping, and keep to very slow steady walks until he could go long distances. Underwater treadmill (buoyancy) was good.

I'd also caution against picking him up like that, cuz it strains his unsupported back, which is now weak. Try 1 hand under each end (both chest & rear) which keeps his back straight. It's an easy habit to learn. This is how dodgerslist.com suggests:

http://dodgerslist.com/literature/watertherapy/WaterTherp2.jpg

lotsadox
02-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Great instructions on how to pick up a doxie. It's a bit different than other dogs because they are so long. :rotfl:

It does look like Cosco is doing well, but being the conservative person I am I'd watch letting him run like that. He still needs to rest and heal (whether he thinks so or not). Personallly, I didn't let Bogart do anything without having a harness and leash on him. The little boogers can get away so easily!

Sending continued healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Cosco.

ScarletBegonias
02-05-2013, 10:21 PM
He utterly refuses to walk when I use a sling, like he just rolls over and flops down. :rolleyes: Normally holding his hips keeps him in check, I think he was hamming it up for the camera a bit.

bittyup
02-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Lots of healing rayz for Cosco.:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

lotsadox
02-06-2013, 09:50 AM
He utterly refuses to walk when I use a sling, like he just rolls over and flops down. :rolleyes: Normally holding his hips keeps him in check, I think he was hamming it up for the camera a bit.

I didn't use a sling on Bogart either, but I always had a harness on him for his own safety. In fact, he wore his harness 24/7 during that time. It was easier for me to keep him under control.

LexieLuvr
02-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Jack was in his harness 24/7, too - much easier to control his movements!