PDA

View Full Version : Lili (again)

Opaleyz
01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Wow, I've done this so long, the site remembered my thread title. (Funny, since I've been very neglectful of being on here at all. Sorry to be the little sheep that runs back only when something's wrong, but it's pretty bad this time :sosad:)

I was looking through the IVDD threads & realized I didn't even post about her last incident. She had one in October -- but it was so very mild we just put her on crate rest right away, kept her on for 9 weeks, and still limited her activity afterwards.

On Friday morning Lili was a just a little bit slower than her usual self. When she continued in the same vein that evening, I gave her a dose of tramadol. We dosed her with tramadol twice on Saturday, but she just seemed a little less active (this was when we actually took her out of her crate. We were keeping her in there most of the day in case it did turn out to be something else). No trembling, no hunching, normal appetite & potty activity, etc.

This morning, though, she seemed reluctant to eat when Jesse put her food in her crate. I hand fed her and she ate about half her food amount, but was whining and refused to eat more. We thought it was just because she knew I was leaving today. She's very sensitive to any packing activity around the house. But when I took her out to potty, she dragged her back & legs. She was able to take a few steps to get into position and pee, but then dragged back to me.

I don't know the last time I've cried so much. It's the worst timing in the world, because I have to get on a plane for Phoenix at 4 today. I haven't been back to see my family for over two years and my 92-year-old grandmother seems to be done with life and only hanging on because I keep telling her I'll be seeing her soon.

So, the DH has found me another ride to the airport and will be driving Lili to the vet hospital in Champaign IL (about 2 1/2 hours away, where she went in April). Last April when she went down, she was actually up & walking the next morning simply b/c they gave her some pain meds. But the fact that I've given her tramadol and she's still like this tells me that it is very much time indeed to get the surgery that she clearly needs. I am feeling completely heartbroken that I will not get to be there for her today. Especially b/c DH will probably be getting there and being seen right around the time I will have to turn my phone off for the flight. He couldn't leave this morning, b/c he leads the worship team at church. I'm so proud of him. He has such a hard time dealing with the whines and I know the car ride will stress him out to no end, but he's still willing to do it. I stayed home from church to stay with Lili and pack an overnight bag for him. Our landlord is being super fantastic and will take care of Jasper here. So grateful for her.

Ugh. Sorry for how rambly this post is.

I'll try to keep you guys updated, but I don't know when I'll know anything. Please send the most mega rayz you can for Lili.

lotsadox
01-20-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm so sorry. Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Lili and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you. Please keep us posted.

AnnMarieK
01-20-2013, 12:16 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: So sorry please keep us posted. I hope by the time you return she is on the road to a full recovery....

Alex's Mom
01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm so so sorry to hear all of this!!! DH is awesome! At least you have a plan in place, although the reason for having it (entirely too much past experience) really sucks. Tons and tons and TONS of mega:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: coming at Lili, and just as many :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you. It's awful being pulled in two directions like that...been there. Keep us posted, and hang on to the thought that Lili is where she needs to be, even if you're not able to be there right now.

LexieLuvr
01-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Adding my Ton of HUGE Rayz, too! Bad timing but it can't be helped. Your DH is a keeper!

Rae
01-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Thinking of you, and Lili and DH and Jasper. Sounds like you gave an awesome support system and sometime timing does just suck. Lili is in great hands with her daddy and I'm sure the vet staff will help her too.

Rae
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
*have.

Frankie'sMom
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Sending lots of rayz your way. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Lisa
01-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Lots and lots of rayz. Please keep us posted!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Tex
01-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Lots of rays for Miss Lili!!!!

Ivan
01-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Aww. poor sweetheart Lili. I hope the doctors can heal her pain, and let her run again. Hurry back, Mom. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Opaleyz
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Thank you everyone for all of the rayz. I'm sorry I didn't give an update last night but between the long plane ride and the stress of the day, I was pretty zonked out last night.

First off, the doctor says Lili is doing great.

DH got there around 2:30 ish yesterday and when he called me he said they did recommend surgery, but they were going to do a CTScan first. By the time I was on the plane, they were evaluating Lili for anesthesia.

It was not an easy plane ride. Not the flight itself, but I basically prayed until I fell asleep. I was able to read a book when I woke but my thoughts were half-elsewhere.

I don't think DH had heard anything yet when I got off the plane. But about an hour later he got a call saying that she was out of surgery & in the process of waking up.

The surgeon said it went well. A disc had ruptured -- a different one than the one that had a problem last April. Apparently that disc had healed well (nice to know that the crate rest worked well that time). He ended up removing three masses (I couldn't tell whether there were three different discs or not -- getting all of this second hand).

They had to move the spinal column to get everything, and so they were actually expecting her to be doing worse today than she was yesterday. But DH just called and said that the vet said that she's doing great, better than expected. She's not standing on her own yet, but she's doing well enough that they're taking her off some of her treatments (I don't know what that means -- probably that they're reducing her pain meds.) He was off to see her and see the surgeon before the surgeon left, so hopefully I will hear more soon.

That's all the news for now. Thank you for all the rayz, and please feel free to keep them coming.

I'm a little less worried now, but of course I don't think it will all go away until I get to hold her again.

Alex's Mom
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
*phew* This is a great update, all things considered!!!! Many many more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: coming at you all. When do you get home? (And how's your grandmother doing?)

Lisa
01-21-2013, 12:11 PM
That is a really good update!! Focus on your visit with your Grandmother. Lili will understand and you can make it up to her when you get home :)

Lots and lots of rayz for your beautiful girl. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Opaleyz
01-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks again, everyone. We'll be going to see my grandmother this morning, so I'm looking forward to that. She had a bad fall just over a week ago that put her in the hospital. She's in rehabilitation right now and doing physical therapy. I'll be in Phoenix for two weeks. This trip has been planned for about a year now. It's been more than two years since I've been home.

I got a chance to talk to the vet surgeon this morning. He said they were amazed at the progress Lili had made in just 12 hours. They're taking her off the intravenous pain meds and just giving her oral meds now (tramadol & rimadyl). She's already doing a joint bunny hop with her back legs -- can't move them independently yet. They're going to keep her in the ICU ward today b/c it's a holiday. They're keeping a close eye on her in case she'll need them to express her. They plan on doing water therapy with her when she's ready.

The vet actually said that if she continues recovering at this speed, she'd actually be ready to go home by Wed. or Thurs. But they'll actually keep her until Sat., when DH will be able to go back to get her. This way, she'll have more time with physical therapy with them.

DH got to visit with her this morning and said she was pretty perky and wanted to go home. She was happy to see him but kept looking toward the door, waiting for me. But she's better off where she is right now.

LexieLuvr
01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
GREAT news! Sounds like a successful surgery and amazing recovery and your DH has it under control - which is more amazing, since my companion would be at a total loss. Enjoy your visit and it will be fine! Lots of recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Lili!!

Ivan
01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Wow, fast recovery! Lili is a super-doggie. Ours couldn't even wag his tail for 5 days, barely standing after 10 days. Lili is already prancing about. She rocks!

SaxLady
01-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Sending prayers and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: forLili. :ditto:for you as well.

Opaleyz
01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
The vet called with another update today. Lili is peeing on her own, and walking as well (albeit w/ some wobbliness) :cheer3: I am so very grateful that she is doing as well as she is.

I didn't really get to ask any intelligent questions, as they called a lot earlier than I was expecting (and I was in the shower at the time). I don't know if they've started water therapy yet or not. They might call with further news later this afternoon. I'll let you know more when I know more.

lotsadox
01-22-2013, 01:58 PM
I've missed some of your updates. I'm so glad that Lili is doing so well :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for continued healing and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you and the DH

Lisa
01-22-2013, 02:41 PM
That is a phenomenal update!! Continued rayz for your beauty. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Awesome update!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: I love that they called you...now that's a great vet! :hug99::hug99: and more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: coming your way (and a few for your grandmother too :)).

LexieLuvr
01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
As mentioned, AWESOME UPDATE!!! Sounds like she's recovering amazingly well - wooooooohoooooooo!:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: (And your vet is amazing, too!!!) Adding more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:, just in case.

SasatheRusty
01-22-2013, 09:06 PM
What uplifting news of her progress. You not only have a wonderful husband but a great doctor too. Enjoy your family. Cherish the moments. Your grandmother must be overjoyed to see you. Best wishes for a good New Year!

Mama S.
01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
great great news! Technology/medical svc has come so very very far for these guys!!! Will keep sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Opaleyz
01-23-2013, 12:42 PM
I got another call from the vet student this morning. Lili threw up her food today. She'd shown some reluctance with eating, and at first we thought maybe it was b/c they were giving her wet food (DH forgot to leave the food I had bagged up for her). But she still seemed averse to the dry food, and then this morning happened.

Of course, when she said she threw up, I immediately thought to ask whether they were giving her pepcid. Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier (bad mommy), but at least I thought of it today. They weren't, and I explained that we always gave her a dose 1/2 an hour before the other meds. (I thought that would have been standard in a vet's office, and is probably why I didn't think to ask about it earlier. But now I know better.) So they're going to try that, and I think her food aversion will magically go away :crossfin: Hopefully that will do the trick.

She's continuing to respond to therapy well, but they aren't going to start water therapy until the incision is healed, so she may or may not get it this visit (we'll be going back for a follow-up in Feb.).

Thanks for all the rayz, everyone. Please keep them coming.

Alex's Mom
01-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Still moving in the right direction!!! I wonder if her tummy problems are because of the pain drugs? I know Alex had that issue after her cancer surgery. A little bit was ok, but longer use eventually did her tummy in. Maxe had the same issue with steroids (prednisone) years ago. :crossfin: that she's ok! Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:!!

lotsadox
01-23-2013, 01:40 PM
I"m betting the pepcid clears up the tummy problems. :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin: But it sounds like other than that, she's making good progress

LexieLuvr
01-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Can't believe the vets didn't think about Pepcid! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Ivan
01-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Our vet told us Pepcid doesn't help much, yet won't harm. Hmm. So maybe they see it as an unnecessary expense when only a few dogs need it. But which ones? Aye, there's the rub.

Opaleyz
01-25-2013, 01:07 PM
hello all,

Sorry I didn't give an update yesterday. My mom took my sis and I up to Sedona for the day and I didn't get a chance to come online.

The vet student said that the Pepcid has been helping. Lili is eating and not vomiting :cheer3: She also said that they've stopped the rimadyl for now, though. I wish they hadn't stopped it, but she said that the surgeon will determine when we should put her back on.

Yesterday when she called she said that Lili's walking had continued to improve -- the one leg was doing less hopping (or something like that), which was good. She also said that from here on out her improvement won't be so drastic (partly because it's been so good so far).

But she's all set to go home with Jesse tomorrow! :cheer3::cheer3: They said they'll do a full write up of instructions. She's expected to be on crate rest for at least two weeks, but they want us to continue the therapy that she's getting.

I'm so glad she'll be going home, though I know she'll be disappointed not to see me. And I'm sad I'll be missing her coming home too. But I'll get to see her in a week, and that will have to do.

LexieLuvr
01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
What a wonderful update! As for crate rest, I'd do at least 6 weeks just to be safe. They don't lose muscle mass that badly and are able to recover it quickly, so that's not an issue, IMO. Of course, therapy will help with the muscle mass issue . . . but 2 weeks of crate rest? NO WAY! Vets never seem to do the safer, conservative thing - most folks I know who had back surgery on their furkids did at least 6 weeks! Better to take it nice and slow and allow the back to heal properly - don't need any setbacks. Sending recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:! Keep us posted as you can.

areese
01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Laika's surgeon said 2 weeks in the crate too. I did 4, then crated her when I wasn't home for quite awhile. When she went in to have her staples out at 2 weeks post op he said she could be out of the crate and I said I was going to do 2 more weeks, he was suprised but said it was fine. I guess most people don't want to do it or something. But of course took her outside on a leash and all that too. She was walking well at 2 weeks post op. Too well...I didn't trust her to not get up on something when I wasn't watching and she was good in the crate. Because of the other dogs, I think she felt vulnerable for awhile until she was 100% and being in the crate made her feel safer.

SasatheRusty
01-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Great news. Let us know what meds they are sending her home on. I was just curious what they do with post op dogs. Have a good visit with your family!

Opaleyz
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
She's on her way home! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

DH texted to say he'd picked her up and they're on their way home. But I have to wait for the phone call update until he's home. His phone needs a new battery and keeps dying on him, so he'll have to wait until he can plug it in.

(Funny but not funny story: he ordered a new battery a couple weeks ago. When it hadn't arrived after awhile & he checked the routing, the company said they sent to CA! An address we had six years ago! Have no idea how that happened, since he confirmed the address with Sprint (who has our current address on file anyway). DH thinks UPS saw the old address in their system and sent it there instead. We've never had good luck w/ UPS, and this is just another point against them. :rolleyes:)

lotsadox
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm so glad she's on her way home! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

I've shipped with UPS a lot and they don't address the packages. They are addressed by the sender. Make sure that Sprint has your current address for billing and shipping.