PDA

View Full Version : Poor James

Alex's Mom
01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
James woke me up at 1:15 this morning scrambling and screaming in pain. I'm pretty sure it was another muscle spasm, but man! my heart stopped for a bit there. He just lay where he wound up, shaking, and eventually he went back to sleep. He's fine this morning. It's that LH leg of his...it's quite ataxic and weak. Laura popped by for a cup of tea yesterday afternoon, and I mentioned it, but we didn't really do more than note it in passing. I've got a call in to her, cuz I'm starting to worry that there's more going on here. He hasn't been getting very much exercise at all for the last couple of weeks between me working on the elder abuse awareness project and the weather, so I'm wondering if that may be part of it. Poor old thing!!!!! Has anyone dealt with muscle spasms before? Is there anything other than massaging the area I can do? Any rayz greatly appreciated.

Tex
01-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Poor James! And poor worried mama! I know potassium helps muscle spasms in people....wonder if it does in dogs. Maybe a small snack of banana? Hope he feels better soon!

LexieLuvr
01-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Oh no! I wish I had some good suggestions. Poor guy. :bigrayz::bigrayz:

lotsadox
01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Poor James. Poor mom. That is so scary!

Bandit used to have muscle spasms in her back. The vet had me put her in a tub of warm water to relax the muscles. It seemed to work with her.

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Talked to Laura. She says that it's probably related to his arthritic left hip (we have the same gimp :rolleyes: ), and to NOT massage it when it happens, but to just hold it and apply very light pressure, and maybe some moist warm heat, like a damp towel. She also suggests that we add calcium to his diet in the form of tums (because he can't have any more protein, and any natural source of calcium i.e., dairy, has protein in it; plain tums are pretty much pure calcium manganese (I think that's what she said...maybe magnesium? Kim??). We're going to do another adjustment and maybe acupuncture this week, and see how it goes. She also thinks that his little frozen episode last week might have made it worse, as has the lack of exercise. I've been throwing the ball for him inside as much as possible, but he gets bored with chasing it after about 2 minutes and takes it off to his "house" (crate) to chew on. :rolleyes:

Have I mentioned just how much I hate winter???????

Lisa
01-21-2013, 12:15 PM
I had the same thought as Tex. Can he have a bit of banana? It is supposed to totally help. I would also recommend adequan if Laura thinks he would tolerate it.

p.s if you need more calcium, save your eggshells - dry them and grind them up fine with a coffee grinder.

Alex's Mom
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM
He loves banana, so I'll try that! :hug99: As for the eggshells, the problem is dosage (and I don't eat eggs that often). I'll ask Laura about that though, cuz I'm not crazy about the sugar in Tums for him.

Lisa
01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
I totally agree with you about the tums / sugar. You can also try bone meal. This (http://www.healthyplanetcanada.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4095) is where we buy ours from.

I would just send you some ground up eggshells, but Canada Post might not be to thrilled with a white powder being sent via the mail :)

I forgot to add :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for little James.

Kasianni
01-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Lots of :bigrayz:for James coming your way.

Rae
01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Dere Unca James - it is bery warm in KinTuckEe. You an Auntie Paula c'mon.
Lub
Grasshopper

P- I am so sorry that James is having troubles! Love that doggie.... Hope all is well soon.

Yolanda
01-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Der James,

You can comes he ti VaGinny cause we does not ah any snow yets. Also we habs a small ramps that is easy for doggies.

Mutter said to beg for bannans (dem are yummy). I eats dem casue I also hab a "quirky backs legs) and walks funbky.

Phoenie McIntyre

Alex's Mom
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Dere Phoenix an' Grasshopper (an' eberybuddy)

My mom is packing our bags as we speaks. We tinks getting outta da brrrrry stuff is a Bery. Good. Idea. I is too old for dis stuff! Mom jus' gave me sum bananana outta da blue, which I also tink is a Bery. Good. Idea. :yumyum: I don't know why my legses hurted so bad last night, but it was not fun. At all. :scratch:

Tanks for all da rayzes.

lubs you all
James Jeffrey

oceangirls
01-21-2013, 04:57 PM
She also suggests that we add calcium to his diet in the form of tums (because he can't have any more protein, and any natural source of calcium i.e., dairy, has protein in it; plain tums are pretty much pure calcium manganese (I think that's what she said...maybe magnesium? Kim??).

Regular Tums are just calcium carbonate (and sugar). But there's other formulations that contain magnesium and even famotidine (Pepcid) and/or artificial sweeteners :rolleyes:, so check labels carefully.

Rayz for your little dude!!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

SaxLady
01-22-2013, 01:36 AM
If you don't want to get him wet, try putting a heating pad on him with a warm setting. Many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for James.

LexieLuvr
01-22-2013, 10:41 AM
If you don't want to get him wet, try putting a heating pad on him with a warm setting. Many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for James.
Or stuff a sock with rice and heat it in the microwave - that makes a good "heating pad" too.

Lisa
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Did he wake up last night Paula? I am wondering if the banana helped him or not?

Alex's Mom
01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Nope, he slept like a baby :cheer3::cheer3: Of course, he had the bit of banana, and I did the release thing Laura taught me with his muscles while we were watching TV, and I dragged out my magic bag and heated it up for him too, so he was very pampered. It's jeezly cold though, and he's definitely not moving too sprightly this morning (neither am I, for that matter. I want a mom too!! :rolleyes: ). But at least not spasming. He would be the first to say that old age sucks! thanks for all the tips everyone...they're working!!

LexieLuvr
01-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Glad he had a good night!

Some nights my Lexie sleeps very well and I only get up with her maybe once; other nights (like last night) I have to get up 4-5 times with her and that doesn't make for a very restful night for me. It's so hard not to get frustrated and upset with her - I just have to remember she's older and I have to stay patient - she can't help it. Those good nights of sleep are priceless, especially when I have to go to work in the morning! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for James!

RustysMom
01-22-2013, 12:16 PM
sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for James!!! :hug99:

lotsadox
01-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Or stuff a sock with rice and heat it in the microwave - that makes a good "heating pad" too.

The rice pads are excellent! I've made a couple in different sizes for them and for me. I heat them in the microwave and use them. You don't have to worry about them gettting too hot either. They will slowly lose heat but not for a long time.

I'm glad James had a better night. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for James and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for his worried (and tired) mom.

Alex's Mom
01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Glad he had a good night!

Some nights my Lexie sleeps very well and I only get up with her maybe once; other nights (like last night) I have to get up 4-5 times with her and that doesn't make for a very restful night for me. It's so hard not to get frustrated and upset with her - I just have to remember she's older and I have to stay patient - she can't help it. Those good nights of sleep are priceless, especially when I have to go to work in the morning! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for James!

I feel your pain!!! As much as I miss my :angel:s I have to admit that the last year of actually NOT being woken up each and every night by one or more dogs has been great. I still don't sleep all that well, but it's due to arthritic owies and menopause, not dogs. And I'm getting substantially more sleep than I used to. That's why on those rare nights that James does wake me up, I notice it more :rolleyes:. He's such a good boy!!! :love98::love98:

SasatheRusty
01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Glad you and he had a good nights rest. There always seems to be issues as they age. It is sad but the love they give us through the years is worth what we give them in return.

Mama S.
01-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Gawja is bewy bewy warm! Mama is in short sleeves and no socks after noon!! Come bizit!!!