PDA

View Full Version : Raw Feeding And An Almost Vegetarian Human

K2
04-02-2006, 05:34 PM
I would love to be able to feed Pippit raw. The problem is~I can't even look at some things(like raw chicken and organs~well, basically anything raw)without getting totally grossed out. The medalions might be the way to go~but are the benefits the same? Should I try and hope I don't throw up when I'm feeding him? Or should I just stick with what we're doing?

Lisa
04-02-2006, 05:55 PM
I love the raw medallions for their convenience and balance but I see the other side that they are not getting the jaw workout and satisfying their inner wolf.

I do feed chicken thighs / big drumsticks a couple times a week (and now that the weather is getting nicer I will increase and as it gets colder less and less). I can't feed them in the house, hats off to everyone who can, but I am such a germaphobe that when they are done eating outside they get their paws scrubbed - it does really gross me out. I am always worried about them choking and bone fragments in their tummy and breaking a tooth.

It's so hard because you want to do what is right (we all love our babies equally), but given that the "experts" can't agree, you're just going to have to try and find what works for you and Pippit.

The medallions have help me get used to the concept of Raw. If you are queasy, maybe start their and then try to work your way up.

Patt
04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Or should I just stick with what we're doing?I vote for that! :)

Michelle
04-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I really think the medallions would be the easiest way for you to go, however, they will not get the workout from eating the bones like they would if they got a few chicken thighs now and then, maybe once a week you could try to give Pippit a chicken thigh, just put them in little ziplock sandwich bags when they are still frozen and then each thigh can defrost in its own bag and all you have to do is just take one bag out of the freezer at a time let it defrost inside the bag then when it is thawed out you can just let Pippit outside in the yard and dump the chicken out of the bag and then go back in and watch him from a distance while he is eating.

Walmart sells 3lb bags of frozen chicken thighs and they are not all stuck together, so it is very easy to just re-bag them individually when they are frozen, maybe this will not gross you out so much if the chicken is frozen???

K2
04-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Walmart sells 3lb bags of frozen chicken thighs and they are not all stuck together, so it is very easy to just re-bag them individually when they are frozen, maybe this will not gross you out so much if the chicken is frozen???

That's a great idea! Frozen in baggies~I'd never have to touch it! I guess I could also invest in lots of rubber gloves!

Courtney
04-02-2006, 07:12 PM
To me, the raw premix was grosser than the meaty bones. I wasn't using the medallions though. YES liver is digusting. But you get used to it. I see how much my dogs enjoy raw food and their body condition and health are great, so any gross-outs are worth it. After I cut up/bag meat though, I usually go for a nice salad or something. :) I am not a big meat eater myself.

lotsadox
04-02-2006, 08:04 PM
I think that the medallions combined with a raw thigh in a bag thing would be the easiest for you. If you're not used to it handling a lot of raw meat is really gross! I even had trouble at first with some things and I'm definitely not a vegetarian.

K2
04-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm thinking of trying it after Pippit's dental. So, I'm sure I'll be full of questions. Any advice you have will be great!

jennie_c_d
04-02-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm a vegetarian, and I just.... lived through the grossout and got over it. I can handle the meat now, and I'm fine with it. Starting with the medallions and slowly adding stuff in might be a good way to go. The medallions are definitely going to be better for his teeth than kibble. Even canned dog food is better than kibble. Kibble is generally far more carb heavy than canned, and those carbs stick to the teeth (think about eating crackers) and can CAUSE buildup. Even an RMB a couple of times a week can help keep the toofers in good shape.

Mama S.
04-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I grew up with the don't get my hnads dirty attitude! Didn't even play in the dirt as a kid. The thought of handling raw meat was disgusting. I started out with the medallions and then made the switch. I still hate my hands/underneath my nails to be dirty but can bury myself up to the elbows in chicken!! DO what feels best for you !
Sandi

Jen
04-03-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm quite squeamish but have had no trouble with the medallions--well, a little grossed out when I have to chop it apart with a fork before giving it to her if its sinewey.....and if I don't break it up she gulps it...but really, its not too bad.

Good luck! I do think if I were you I'd start with medallions and perhaps work up to meat on the bone.