PDA

View Full Version : Thin hair? Or none?

Rae
03-30-2013, 06:37 PM
I've noticed Savannah's hindquarters and the backs of her ears having thinning hair and asked Dr Brian to take a look. He said he can do a blood test to make sure it's not her thyroid and a skin patch test to make sure it's nothing but he's leaning toward some dogs just genetically have thin hair in spots.
Anybody?

Rae
03-30-2013, 06:40 PM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h405/RaeWagoner/7735DACC-9BA7-45EA-BE51-5AE22A4A0B25-3647-000004AA2F2D8FF4.jpg
Back of her ear

Rae
03-30-2013, 06:43 PM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h405/RaeWagoner/F433725C-1987-43AC-AE90-F77045987357-3647-000004AB1411B6C6.jpg

Butt.
She has thick shiny healthy lush hair everywhere else and is the picture of health. She doesn't scratch or gnaw more than usual and I've recently given her a bath with antibacterial shampoo just in case.

Rae
03-30-2013, 06:44 PM
The pics don't really show up how thin the hair behind her ears is.

Patt
03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
he's leaning toward some dogs just genetically have thin hair in spots. Anybody?
True! Has it always been this way? Sometimes the thinning is seasonal. I would have your doc check her thyroid just to be sure. Grace has this problem and she takes thyroid meds, Melatonin and Benedryl. If it's not thyroid, Melatonin might just do the trick.

lotsadox
03-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Miller has always had very thin hair. He has an almost bald spot on the top of this head. His back on his shoulders and ears have VERY thin hair. He's almost totally bald on his underside. He's always been this way and it doesn't get any worse, just is. The vet said it was just the way some dogs are so we don't worry about it. I think it is good that you are ruling out any health issues, but it's probably just the way she is.

Just curiousity, does she have a very short, soft coat? Miller does and I'm just wondering if there is a link there. The dogs I've had with slightly longer coats that weren't quite as soft seemed to have more hair without bald spots.

Rae
03-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Yes! Her hair is very soft and short. She is really sleek and I've never felt a dog with such soft hair, when the hair is so short.
Hair that short has always, in my experience, been more coarse.

Rae
03-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Patt her ears have always been this way, and I'm sorry to say I'm not sure about the hindquarters.
Thanks for the med tips.

Kasianni
03-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Mika and Theo both have very short hair and its soft like silk. Theo doesn't have much hair on his hind quarters, its like baby hair, so soft and the hair on the back of Mika's ears look exactly like that. Has always looked like that.

SasatheRusty
03-30-2013, 10:01 PM
I would get her tested now for thyroid. No need up speculate and be worried. I would also do a skin scraping and have it microscopically tested. Once an organism gets hold and hair damage is done it is hard to regrow the hair. For my peace of mind that is what I would do. I don't believe in watching things. I like to have immediate conformation.

lotsadox
03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Yes! Her hair is very soft and short. She is really sleek and I've never felt a dog with such soft hair, when the hair is so short.
Hair that short has always, in my experience, been more coarse.

Yes, Bogart's coat was much coarser than Miller and Pebbles. I was always amazed at both of them. How soft they were. I wonder if there is a connection. . .

RustysMom
03-30-2013, 11:17 PM
My rusty has a bare bottom, thin hair behind the ears, tummy and arm pits. He's always been like this. Our vet has never been worried. The only time it was questioned was once at the e vet because they didn't know him. I don't know for SJ if its anything to worry about but wouldn't hurt to have her checked for piece of mind.

Yolanda
03-31-2013, 09:23 AM
I suspect it is jut the way her hair is. My Phoenix and Wetley both have the same type of hair.

However, it would not hut to run the test as a base line.

Alex's Mom
03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
I suspect it is jut the way her hair is. My Phoenix and Wetley both have the same type of hair.

However, it would not hut to run the test as a base line.

:ditto::ditto: Alex was the same way. It was just her coat. However, it wouldn't hurt to check out her thyroid. Or it could be the beginnings of Dachshund Alopecia. :hug99::hug99: Keep us posted, Rae, ok? BTW, Jules' hair was incredibly soft...she felt like velvet. :love98:

mom2reds
03-31-2013, 02:42 PM
I agree, have the vet check her for thyroid, etc. just to make sure. I took Roxy in years ago right after I adopted her and the vet did the tests. The only thing he could be determine was that she had Dachshund Pattern Baldness. He researched it and it happens in dachshunds and also Boston Terriers. The theory is that it comes from breeding short haired dachshunds to other short haired dachshunds for many generations. Throwing in a long hair every so often is supposed to keep the hair thicker. I don't know if this is just speculation or proven fact, but it kind of makes sense. Lilly is "bald" too, she has thin hair, very little on the back of her ears,etc. Then there's Bailey who has the thickest, softest hair of any dachshund I have ever owned. Although I suspect he's not "purebreed" his ears are different and his nose is shorter than Roxy's was or Lilly's. Purebreed or not, he's adorable and a big ol' sweetie so I don't really care.

Lisa
04-01-2013, 08:03 AM
You can have her tested, but it is nothing. It is doxie pattern baldness (vet diagnosed :) ) We had P'nut tested and she is 100% fine. She has bald patches on her ears and on her head.

Of course, she is always moving, so it is hard to get a picture, but you can see them a bit here.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6792400215_2c984a737b_z.jpg

Rae
04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Do the doggies with thin hair and or bald spots also have really thin skin?

Took her for a pedi today when I went to get dog food and Brian didn't want to draw blood on Saturday because it would sit around all weekend and he wants the sample to be fresh.

Yolanda
04-06-2013, 01:07 PM
he's leaning toward some dogs just genetically have thin hair in spots. Anybody?

Yep, My Phoenix has always had thin spots on the back of his ears and head. My new foster. MiMi (all of 6 pounds of holy terror) has very thin hair just like Phoenix.

I would do the test just tom be on the safe side however.

Yo

SasatheRusty
04-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a good and smart Vet, Rae. Hope to hear what the test shows. I wonder if her sister dog also has issues. Do you keep in touch with the owner?
Hope to see some cute Savannah Jane photos for Spring.

Rae
04-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm getting ready to book her 1 year photo shoot :)

Alex's Mom
04-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Do the doggies with thin hair and or bald spots also have really thin skin?

Alex had skin like a rhino :rolleyes:. I think we just think it's thin because it doesn't have hair on it...if you know what I mean.

SasatheRusty
04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
She will photograph amazingly. Do u have her wardrobe selected? :)

Rae
04-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Not sure what she'll be wearing... I wish we had a field of flowers... May have to find some. I'll phone Kathy and see what she thinks.