View Full Version : Omega O.D???

catstamm
04-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Can you give your dog too much Omega 6 and 3? After I ate my Carl's Jr $6.00 Chili Cheese Burger :banana: I went to the Doggie health food store....Jen is on Canidae Platinum and Carlee on Nature's Variety Prairie New Zealand Venison both of which contain omega 3 and 6 ...I also purchased !100% wild alaskan salmon oil , as well as NaturVet Glucosamine and Chondroitin suppliment....is that over doing it??? :scratch:

jennie_c_d
04-02-2006, 11:28 PM
From what I understand, all commercial diets (and most diets of any kind, due to the way food is grown, these days) are deficient in Omega 3's, and most are deficient in 6's, as well.

Given the fact that 16 pound Emma, the JRT, gets a tablespoon of fish oil a day (3x the reccomended amount, she's chronically ill and has serious skin issues), I'm guessing that the reccomended amount won't hurt any dog.

Courtney
04-02-2006, 11:44 PM
No, it's not overdoing it. Jennie is right, commercial foods and even commercially raised fresh meats lack Omega 3s. Those are better than Omega 6s, but if you are giving fish oil that's good.

catstamm
04-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I also bought some buffalo marrow bones but, Jen and Carlee :yuck: yacked... thanks for the info on the omega's

jennie_c_d
04-03-2006, 12:01 AM
You might try thawing the marrow bones out, then take a butter knife, and scrape out the majority of the marrow. It's very fatty, and these little dogs seem to get sick from it, a lot of the time. Bigger dogs are usually ok with it. Little dogs barf or have runny poops. Mine get horribly runny poops when the marrow's in. When it's out, they're fine:)

Lisa
04-03-2006, 06:03 AM
I also give 100% wild alaskan salmon oil , as well as well as Glucosamine and Chondroitin suppliment and use the NV frozen medallions for their food. But I buy their suppliments from a human suppliment store, I think it's the exact same stuff - just a little cheaper.

Jen
04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I also remove part of the marrow from raw bones before I give them to Tasha--or she gets soft serve poops later. :vomit: