PDA

View Full Version : Miley got spayed, now she is sick and so is Pretzel....

10 Gauge
06-09-2013, 10:01 AM
I am a bit worried about Miley and Pretzel. 2 weeks ago Miley went and finally got spayed at the clinic. 2 days after being home we had to put a cone on her because she was licking her wound a lot and we didn't want it to get infected. Shortly after putting the cone on her we noticed her start to cough a bit, and it sounded a bit like kennel cough. It seemed like the coughing would get better when we would take the cone off (I read that it makes the throat very sensitive to touch and they will cough more if it's irritated so I figure the cone was irritating it). Anyhow, a few days after that Pretzel starts sneezing really bad and has a runny nose, but no coughing. Miley is out of her cone now and pretty much all healed up, but she is also sneezing and has a runny nose. They are sneezing and snorting constantly, but neither of them are coughing at all.

Basically my question is this. Do you think Miley brought home kennel cough with her and then gave it to Pretzel? Or do you think they have something else? I feel bad for them. :( We are getting ready to head to the store and I am going to buy some extra strength robitussin and give them a little bit to help them out.

Do you think this will go away on its own or is it going to render a vet visit (which we prefer not to do because the vet is sooooo expensive)?

Thanks y'all for any help!!!

Oh yeah, Miley has been eating her poop too, all of it pretty much every time she poops. If we don't catch her in the act of pooping to pick it up immediately we then just find the remnants of where the poop was, disgusting! Is she doing this because she is sick???

10 Gauge
06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I forgot to add obligatory Doxie-cone photo. :D

http://i.imgbox.com/adbKgK2s.jpg

Alex's Mom
06-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Do NOT give her Robitussin!!!!!!!!!!!! Human meds are only good for dogs sometimes, and you need to be VERY careful with the dosages. You can kill them if it's not right, or if it's a med that is bad for non-humans.

You should at least give the vet a call and see what they say, and if need be bring them in. I know vets are expensive, but that's just part of the cost of owning a dog. You can get pet insurance which will help if something major goes wrong, or else there are various credit arrangements that can sometimes be made. It could very well be kennel cough, or maybe seasonal allergies. But the only one who'll be able to tell you for sure is the vet, so tomorrow (assuming they're not open today on a Sunday) call!!!!!

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for the two of them...and she's a cutie in her cone!

10 Gauge
06-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I read that it was safe to give them Robitussin as long as it was the kind without acetimenophin in it. The dosage supplied was 1/4tsp per 20lbs so I was going to give them each 1/8 of a teaspoon since they are both about 10lbs.

This was my source for info: http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogmedicine.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

lotsadox
06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I would also recommend against just giving them Robitussin when you aren't sure what's wrong with them. It sounds like they have picked up something and that can only be diagnosed by a vet.

Kasianni
06-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I agree with what has been said. First of all, you don't even really know if its kennel cough so you should not give meds unless you know 100% what you are treating. Theo had kennel cough and it is very contagious so it could be if that is what Miley has that she gave it to Pretzel. I would just touch Theo's throat and he would cough so yes it is a symptom but I would try to get them into the vets if you can, it is expensive but you don't want your dogs to suffer. Theo was given antibiotics for his kennel cough.
About the poop, some dogs like it. :rolleyes: However, feed her a bit of pineapple and it might stop. NOT a lot of pineapple about a tablespoon in her food. So many reasons why dogs eat poop but if this is a new thing then it could be a underlying medical problem. I'd be more concerned about the cough. If its been a few days and not getting better than they really really need to see the vet. I know vets are expensive but its part of taking good care of our friends. :)

areese
06-09-2013, 12:07 PM
My vet recommended robitussin for kennel cough when mine all got it.
Antibiotics do NOT help kennel cough as it is a virus, not bacterial although it can prevent a secondary infection if it's really bad.
mainly, it will go away by itself. You can use a vaporizer...sometimes that helps. It seems like more and more lately, the strains of bordatella (kennel cough) are producing symptims with more mucous, sneezing etc than coughing. My pig got it from a dog in the class I teach (pig always went to class with me :) We DID give her an antibiotic because, due to their nasal structure, they are prone to getting infections in there when irritated.
If the dogs seem ok otherwise, I'd wait a bit and see if it clears up and yes, it's totally possible it came from the vets office and then passed on.

Kasianni
06-09-2013, 01:02 PM
My vet recommended robitussin for kennel cough when mine all got it.
Antibiotics do NOT help kennel cough as it is a virus, not bacterial although it can prevent a secondary infection if it's really bad.
mainly, it will go away by itself. You can use a vaporizer...sometimes that helps. It seems like more and more lately, the strains of bordatella (kennel cough) are producing symptims with more mucous, sneezing etc than coughing. My pig got it from a dog in the class I teach (pig always went to class with me :) We DID give her an antibiotic because, due to their nasal structure, they are prone to getting infections in there when irritated.
If the dogs seem ok otherwise, I'd wait a bit and see if it clears up and yes, it's totally possible it came from the vets office and then passed on.

True. However Theo had parvo virus at the same time as his kennel cough and they were worried about him developing a secondary infection so he did have antibiotics for as part as his treatment. It can go away on its on yes but if its been almost two weeks as she said, might be a good thing to call the vet?

10 Gauge
06-09-2013, 03:08 PM
I am pretty sure it's kennel cough. They aren't showing any other signs of sickness. They are full of energy, their poop looks good, etc. Miley was also on a week long regimen of antibiotics twice a day after her surgery which leads us to believe its nothing more serious than a bout of kennel cough.

I think we will let it run its course. Of after another week or so they haven't shown any signs of improvement we will take them both in to get looked at.

As far as the Robitussin goes, we just want to give them some temporary relief from the symptoms. We are going to try an eighth of a teaspoon and see if it helps their little runny noses.

SasatheRusty
06-09-2013, 08:39 PM
If something is out if sorts with two dogs than you might suspect a problem. You might really want to consider going to the Vet. An upper respiratory infection is contagious. Keep them away from other dogs.

Ivan
06-10-2013, 10:27 AM
This belongs here: http://www.aplacetolovedogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/seeing-the-positive.jpg

Yikes! Isn't kennel cough highly contagious? Rayz for NO MORE virus :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
This belongs here: http://www.aplacetolovedogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/seeing-the-positive.jpg

Yikes! Isn't kennel cough highly contagious? Rayz for NO MORE virus :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Indeed it is!

Alex's Mom
06-10-2013, 12:16 PM
That was hilarious, Ivan!! :rotfl::rotfl:

Lisa
06-10-2013, 03:35 PM
She is so stinkin' cute. Are the girls any better today?

10 Gauge
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
She is so stinkin' cute. Are the girls any better today?

Doing much better today! I think Miley is pretty much over it and Pretzel is better as well but maybe a few more days until she's back to 100%

I think it's a crisis averted. :)

Thanks for checking up on the girls!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/12/egahaqer.jpg

Ivan
06-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Look at that happy tail WAGGING!!!! Whap, whap, whap. :)

10 Gauge
06-11-2013, 06:44 PM
I can't resist anything when she gives me that face. I would give that little girl the world. :)

lotsadox
06-11-2013, 10:29 PM
That's a happy tail! :sillylove::sillylove:

SaxLady
06-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Just for good measure---:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: