PDA

View Full Version : Raw Medallions question - how much per meal?

Jen
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Ok, the Stella and Chewys site says one 2 oz medallion per 10 lb of dog. So Tasha, at about 15 lbs, should get 1 1/2 per meal. I've been feeding her one, as most dog food sites overestimate what you need. But my logic was that we feed her 2 oz of kibble at breakfast--so 2 oz of raw is good for dinner.

I totally forgot that kibble has no real moisture content, and raw is about 70% moisture. :rolleyes: So I'm worried I've been underfeeding her. I will weigh her tonight to check.

But I thought I'd ask how much the medallion feeders feed per meal, assuming two meals per day, and let me know the weight of your pups.

Thanks!!

Jill
04-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Bailey - 11lbs - active - gets 3 medallions per meal

Reese - 12lbs - somewhat active - gets 2 medallions per meal - he was getting 2 1/2 per meal but we cut him back, hoping to lose a pound.

Lisa
04-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Pogo and Pixel both get 2-1/2 oz per day (1 oz for breakfast and 1-1/2 for dinner)...but they are both fat. Tasha is a lot more active, so 1 - 2oz for breakfast and 1 - 2oz for dinner should be perfect, just monitor her weight for a couple of weeks.

Jen
04-03-2006, 03:07 PM
She is active, and is still on Evo for breakfast, raw at dinner. (DH is NOT thrilled with the raw thing).

Bailey and Reese are getting more than Tasha, but they're younger too. I think I'll check her weight, and go from there. Thanks Lisa and Jill!

Lisa
04-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Rafi was hard to convince too...even I was hard to convince (I did it as a last attempt to control Pogo's barfies and anal glands). Once you see her eat the food and the difference in her, you really will be amazed - it is cool to see the transformation.

Michelle
04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Heidi and Princess eat 1/2 cup kibble in the AM then in the PM meal

Princess 10lbs gets 2 medallions

Heidi 13lbs now also gets 2 because she needs to loose a pound or two

they seem to be OK with that,,

Jen
04-03-2006, 03:47 PM
1/2 cup kibble? Really? :wow: Tasha gets 1/4 cup kibble in the morning--but I think Evo is richer than some other kibbles. Sounds like she may need more raw, but we'll watch her weight and see. She hasn't acted any hungrier than usual--but how can you tell that with a doxie? :scratch:

Michelle
04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
1/2 cup kibble? Really? :wow: Tasha gets 1/4 cup kibble in the morning--but I think Evo is richer than some other kibbles. Sounds like she may need more raw, but we'll watch her weight and see. She hasn't acted any hungrier than usual--but how can you tell that with a doxie? :scratch:

Well, that is how much I end up putting down in the AM, but they really don't eat all of it, so I suspect that they are each actually eating about 1/4 of a cup, what i do is leave it down for about 20 mins or 30, then I pick up the bowl and stick it ontop of their kennel, and they finish it up in the next AM feeding, Heidi seems to be not eating as much kibble as she used to, she likes the raw better, and Princess will still eat a good amount of it.

Jill
04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Bailey and Reese are getting more than Tasha, but they're younger too. I think I'll check her weight, and go from there. Thanks Lisa and Jill!

I want to start weighing and tracking the weight regularly with the boys. Maybe once a week or two weeks. We cut Reese down, but have not seen significant change in his waist. He looks much heavier then Bailey but he still has a bit of a waist. Bailey is a farking rail. I wanted him to gain some weight, but that hasn't happened.

Jill
04-03-2006, 03:54 PM
When we were on kibble - they each got a 1/4 of a cup in the morning and at night. When we went to EVO - I reduced them to 1/8 of a cup.

lotsadox
04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
1/2 cup kibble? Really? :wow: Tasha gets 1/4 cup kibble in the morning--but I think Evo is richer than some other kibbles.

Evo is richer than other foods. At 40+ lbs and very active Scooter only gets 1/2 c Evo morning and night with 1/4 c of raw.

Cash and Bogart get 1/2 a medallion each per meal (that's right 1/2!), but that's because I can't get the DH to quit giving them treats so I just cut back on the food at meals to allow for treats. Also they are not active at all and older. Cash is 6-7 and Bogart is 14. :shocked:

HotDogMama
04-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Molly now gets 1 for breakfast, and 2 for dinner. She is still considered a puppy I guess (?) or not, but when we started she was getting 2 for b, and 3 for dinner that is 5, but the website actually said 6! She is pretty active, but gained weight really fast, so I cut her down little by little, she is still a porker by my standards 14.8, but doesn't look that bad, just has a small pooch, if the 3/day doesn't show any improvements soon, I'm either gonna go down to 2, or cut her treats in 1/2 I guess :shocked:

JanUet
04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Casey and Sophie get 1 medallion each at Breakfast with some pumpkin.

For dinner Casey gets 2 medallions and Sophie gets 1 with a tablespoon of veggies and their supplements.

We have been on a total Raw diet (chicken leg quarters) lately but switched them back to the medallions when they both got diarrhea.

Do you give your pups the medallions on their own or with something?

HotDogMama
04-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Molly gets pumpkin most of the time, and either green beans or carrots. One or the other, not both. I see that you are supposed to puree them as raw, but do you do that? Sometimes I use the canned ones and just smoosh them up real smooth. Same thing I guess? :confused: