PDA

View Full Version : Buddy is limping

Ivan
07-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Now Buddy is favoring his right-front leg, since last night. He won't apply full weight to it. We've inspected him, but found nothing. He's silent. Dunno whassup? This morning he's still limping, and he yelped just once. I really hope it's not cervical IVDD. Yet he moves his neck around perfectly normally, and still scratches at his own ears. The only anomaly is the limp.

Yesterday evening, when I let him outside, he sniffed around the backyard, as usual. 60 seconds later, I called him over, he came instantly bounding quickly across the lawn, and started limping. Huh? What happened? Absolutely no chance of thorns, rocks, etc. We gave him Holly's last Tramadol pill. Awk!

SasatheRusty
07-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Do you have any pred in the house? Can you call the Vet and have him/her call in a few into the pharmacy. Sometimes catching it right away relieves the inflammation and that's all it takes. That is what I do. A few doses cannot harm. Waiting can exacerbate the problem. Let us know what the Vet says. Good luck.

Lisa
07-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Given Buddy's history, I would still think a trip to the vet is in order, but I really would not stress over it :) It sounds like muscle to me rather than disc. Neck injuries are incredibly painful, and if it was cervical IVDD you would know it. I personally wouldn't give him any drugs until he is seen by a vet, but I would put him on crate rest / restricted movement to give him time to heal. And NO GOPHER chasing (sorry Buddy!). Lots of rayz for your handsome boy. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Given Buddy's history, I would still think a trip to the vet is in order, but I really would not stress over it :) It sounds like muscle to me rather than disc. Neck injuries are incredibly painful, and if it was cervical IVDD you would know it. I personally wouldn't give him any drugs until he is seen by a vet, but I would put him on crate rest / restricted movement to give him time to heal. And NO GOPHER chasing (sorry Buddy!). Lots of rayz for your handsome boy. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

I totally agree. It sounds like a pulled muscle (I had one dog that used to get those in her front legs every once in a while) but I agree with Lisa on that, too. Given his history, I'd take him to the vet before I gave him any strong drugs. If you have access to any boswellia, you could give him that. It's a herb that is good for inflamation and isn't anything harsh like prednisone.

LexieLuvr
07-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Good suggestions given and yes, a vet visit would be suggested. Lots of get-well :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

SasatheRusty
07-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Even herbs have side effects, especially those used for inflammation. You would have to know what dosage is appropriate for his weight. I'm sure you know all this anyway. ;)

Ivan
07-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Yes, we want to nip this in the bud. (no puns intended). Sigh, time to see a vet and to be imprisoned in his crate for a while. He's in it now. Herbs? Which herbs? And dosage? He weighs 24 lbs, of (um, yeah, mostly) muscles. ;-) Maybe time to resurrect Amy's plaid collar!

Sadly, I think we also need to shop for a closer vet that knows about IVDD.

lotsadox
07-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Yes, herbs and supplements do have some side effects, but they are not nearly as severe if taken correctly as prescribed medicines and usually not the kidney and liver harm done with steroids to animals. Steroids are hard on all, but especially hard on animals probably due to their small body weight.

I use Standard Process Boswellia and for my 15 lbs dogs I give 1/2 tablet twice a day. Standard Process also makes a product called Ligaplex II which I've had good luck with one mine. It's best if you can find a holistic or homeopathic vet in your area to advise you on what to use.

Ivan
07-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Found it, and it ain't cheap. It also has good reviews:
https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/MediHerb/Boswellia-Complex

Ivan
07-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Good news! Bo more limping. It's gone. Whew! He's back to frolicing around the backyard, in his normal gait. No longer favoring that leg. I really wonder what it was. Oh well, confinement for a coupla days did the trick.

SaxLady
07-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Happy dance! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

oceangirls
07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Wonderful! :cheer3:

lotsadox
07-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Yay! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: It was most likely a pulled muscle and just needed a bit of time to heal. I'd keep him quiet for a few more days to be sure it's really healed, but that's just me.

LexieLuvr
07-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Great news!

SaxLady
07-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes, very good news. These Doxies can drive us crazy worrying about them!