PDA

View Full Version : Can I give Human Salmon Oil supplements,,

Michelle
04-03-2006, 03:41 PM
to the girls??,
I bought some Norwegian Salmon Oil gel tabs from a health food store for myself to help with my dry skin, but I don't like the after taste, they make me belch later on and all that yucky fish taste comes up and it is really gross cause I am not a fish eater and hate that taste..

Is it OK to give these gel tabs to the dogs???, I heard that some of you do give the dogs the human supplements, what about the dosage??

The Gel tabs I have are 1,000mg of Salmon Oil, is that too much for Heidi and Princess???

Jen
04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
I know some people puncture gel tabs and then squirt the oil on the food. Not sure about the dosage though as I use a pump bottle so its one pump....

Ewww to fishy burps. I loathe the smell and taste of fish....

Michelle
04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Ewww to fishy burps. I loathe the smell and taste of fish....

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Yeah Me too!!, That is why I don't like eating fish and I figured well if I am just swallowing the gel tabs then I am not going to taste it, WRONG!!!!

mydachsies
04-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I believe it's 1000mg per 10lbs.I give my adult furkids 1 gel tab each and the pups I divide 1 it into 3bowls with their food.

areese
04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
I sue the human salmon oil for mine cuz I take it too. I honestly don't burp any fish taste later in the day, but I do take them with food.
My dogs get two gel caps (1,000 mg each) (punctured and squirted on their food) per day. That's one per dog :-)

Michelle
04-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks, for the info, I think I am going to give these to the dogs, cause I am still burping from these things even when I eat a meal with it,,

I think the girls will love them!!!

Courtney
04-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Those are great for the dogs. The general dosage is 1000mg per 30 lbs per day for healthy dogs, so one per day is good for dachshunds. Sick dogs can get up to 1000mg per 10lbs per day. Mine gobble them up like treats!

Lisa
04-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, I to give one per day, I used to puncture them until I ruined about 5 tops with squirted salmon oil on them, then one day I realized the little buggers just eat the things as is!!

I like giving them the human grade salmon oil, it's usually cheaper.

Michelle
04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Heidi and Princess just loved it!!, I gave them one when I got off line and they really liked it, I just gave it to them like a treat and they both ran off and munched on them till they squirted and then they finished it and were looking for more!,,

Now I don't feel so bad about spending the money on them, the bottle of 60 gel tabs was only $7.89 at a local Health food store, I think that is cheaper than the kind you can find in the pet supply catalogs.

I am so glad they like them!!!

Lisa
04-03-2006, 05:56 PM
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Glad they loved them!

oceangirls
04-03-2006, 07:12 PM
you can put your salmon oil in the refrigerator (I have been told you can even put them in the freezer) and that will reduce the belching and fishy taste ** if you really DID want to try them yourself instead of giving them to the pups :D **

Chrystyna
04-03-2006, 08:05 PM
If you put the fish oil in the freezer it should help with the fish after taste.

As for the dogs... if you're a member to Costco or Sam's Club you can get 300 fish oil capsules for usually $8. You can give them to the dogs every single day. If you notice that their coats are getting oily then back down to every other day.

jennie_c_d
04-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I almost always use human supplements for my dogs, and I dose them with oils like Courtney said. 1000 mg per 30 pounds of healthy dog, 1000 mg per 20 pounds of itchy dog, 1000 mg per 10 pounds of sickly dog.

Rae
04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
note to self... beware the fish farts.

I gave HRH the pressed salmon treats, and the after effects... well, let's just say that AT THAT MOMENT I did not care if her skin was flake free and her coat was lustrous.

ewwww....

laura
04-04-2006, 01:40 PM
This is the absolute best I have found. Costs a bit more as it comes from Wild salmon vs farmed salmon. (big difference) Great human stuff here too!

http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop.cfm

Michelle
04-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Hmm,, I'll have to try sticking them in the fridge and see if that helps, I would like to continue taking them, and I do have a sam's club by me, I will have to go over there and see what else they have, like maybe some Glucosamine etc.. and other good stuff!!,,

Chris
04-04-2006, 01:49 PM
My mom used fish oil supplements for her dogs all the time. She has two dogs now (she retired from being a foster home).

We gave some to Ollie also because he lost some fur on his belly. It made his coat come in more a bit, but then we found out the reason for the hairlosss - it wasn't nutrition or thyroid...but slithering on his belly on the rough berber carpet and laying on the back of the sofa that has course material!

LUVMYGUNNER
04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Gunner and Petunia get it all the time.

Frzframe
04-06-2006, 01:55 PM
I tried some oil from my vet and it made my dogs stink. They didnt' quite have a fishy smell but they did stink so I had to stop using it because I couldn't stand to be around them without gaging. :(

LUVMYGUNNER
04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Flax seed oil is also good but does cause allergy in some pups.

LexiRay
04-07-2006, 12:51 PM
So you can actually get the same benefits with regular capsules for humans? I thought you had to make sure the salmon was wild & not farmed. I will have to check out my Sam's Club.

Lisa
04-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Yes, same benefits. I alternate, some months they get the Costco stuff, some months the higher priced Wild Salmon. I have never noticed a difference.

jennie_c_d
04-08-2006, 03:26 PM
The difference in the wild salmon oil and the farmed salmon oil is that they're fed different things. Everybody here knows, you are what you eat. Farmed salmon has higher levels of murcury and toxins.

Mama S.
04-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I found the Wild SAlmon capsules on sale at Walgreens buy 1 get one free so I got them for the guys. First try some liked others hated and spit out so I was on the watch to make sure that no one was eating someone elses. AArrgg - sometimes having 8 mouths going at one time is such a pain!
Sandi