PDA

View Full Version : Back question

Frzframe
04-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Ruby is about the same since she went on her meds. She is still in pain and wobbly but after her meds she seems better. Then she walks to go potty and it's like we're back to square one.

So my question: How long should we try the crate rest and meds before we should consider surgery?

I'm so worried about her. :sosad:

Patt
04-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Shonda, have you posed this question to the group on the Yahoo Dodgerslist? The members have first hand ongoing experience with back problems. I believe there is a 'window' 24-72 hours but not sure if this applies to Ruby at this time. I think you should rely on your nuerosurgeon's advice.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dodgerslist/

http://www.dodgerslist.com/

lotsadox
04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
ITA with Patt. I'd go with the neurosurgeon's advice. There is a window of 24 - 72 hours, but I think that only applies with blown discs or cases where the dog is suddenly down. I'm not sure. :scratch: Dodger's List would be the best resource that I know of.

Frzframe
04-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks I will try there.

She hasn't been to anyone other then my vet plus I have to get board approval for any major expenses since she is a foster in CCDR.

Lisa
04-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Maybe also PM Yolanda, I know she is has a lot going on and might not see this thread. She might have some advice too since she cares for wobbly dogs - and would know about the foster aspect. But Dodger's is a fabulous resource.

Rayz for Ruby!:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Yolanda
04-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm here.

Yes there is a window of opportunity and I think she needs to be at least evaluated by a neurosurgeon at this time. In most cases, the meds should have kicked in by now.

Are you supporting her rear end when she goes out? This is important, do not let her go wandering around too much. I use waht I call the panty hose bounce. A pair of old fashion support hoes or an ace bandage, looped under the back hips to support the pupper and not let them wander.

There are two different "trains of though" regarding surgery. Some say it has to be within the window (24-72 hours) of the injury to be the most effective. This is normally when the dog is completely down.

A lot of the neurosurgeons will NOT operate unless a dog is completely down.

It really depends on the surigal center and ther policies.

However, keep in mind the human body when you break or severely sprain you foot. It takes 6-8 weeks to heal. It takes seveal weeks for the swelling to do down. As long as Ruby is not getting any worse and might be improving some then the way you are going is probably right. Any deterioration is a major concern.

Confused yet?

Frzframe
04-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks Yalonda. She isn't getting worse which is good. I haven't taken her any where except my vet. I've got an email into CCDR to see what they want me to do next.

I'm not supporting her when she needs to potty but I am super careful when I pick her up to make sure I support her.