PDA

View Full Version : Rayz for Peaches Please (Update posted and advice needed)

Lisa
10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Tanya just posted on facebook that she is at the vet with Peaches. She is there for a back issue :( If we can have some DLC rayz, I know T will appreciate them!

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
10-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Oh, no! Not a back issue - lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

AnnMarieK
10-04-2013, 06:05 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and prayers too !!!!!

lotsadox
10-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Oh, cr*p! Sending tons of Texas sized :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Peaches and Tanya

Alex's Mom
10-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Tons and tons and tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and a bunch of :hug99::hug99::hug99: for her worried mom.

LUVMYGUNNER
10-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Prayers and Rays for the pretty girl.:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Ivan
10-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Uh oh! Sending lotsa rayz for Peaches! Hope it's not as serious as IVDD? :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Tex
10-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Tons of Texas-sized rays for the Flying Wiener!!!

Red Haired Girl
10-04-2013, 07:19 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigr ayz::bigrayz: For Miss Peaches. Get well, little one.

oceangirls
10-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Lots of rayz for Peaches and Mom :bigrayz::hug99::bigrayz::hug99::bigrayz:

Tanya
10-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Thank you so much for your well wishes for Peachy. I know a lot of DLC members have been down this road before, so your support means a lot. The last 24 hours have been tough with a lot of crying. I'm not really holding it together very well. She is my heart and soul. When I look in her eyes, I can feel her pain.

She has a compressed disc in her spine. She is not completely down, but she is in a lot of pain and her walking has gotten wobblier throughout the day. She is on tramadol, prednisone, and robaxin. She is also on crate rest. At this point, there is no need for surgery...meds and rest should heal this with time. My heart is breaking for her. I can't stand to see her in this pain. I know she'll be chasing balls again, so I just need to be patient and help her as much as I can.

lotsadox
10-05-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm so sorry you and Peaches are having to go thru this, Tanya. I know how hard it is to see them in pain. Tramadol and Prednisone and strict crate rest fixed Bogart right up. He was in about the same condition. Very wobbly, but not down. And I was about like you. Trying to hang in there, but lots of crying going on. :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Tanya
10-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Peaches' walking is a little wobbly this morning, but better than last night. She was feeling spunky so the meds must be helping. She is accepting her crate rest for now. I heard whining and I thought it was Peaches wanting out of the crate. It was Piper wanting IN the crate with her. :sillylove:

Rae
10-05-2013, 11:53 AM
They're super-bonded and I wondered how that would go. Do you have a crate big enough for both of them plus Andrew? Ever since he came along and joined their pack it's been a trio!

Tanya
10-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Thankfully Andrew is way more into Piper than Peaches, so he is leaving her alone for the most part! He wanted to let her out, but I told him he couldn't. I told him that she is not feeling well and needs rest. So now he looks in at her and says "Get well, Peaches."

Our crate is big enough for both Peaches and Piper (I have always crated them together), but I think it's better to give her some space these first few days of recovery. Piper can take up a lot of room!

LUVMYGUNNER
10-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Check into Cosequin for her and Vetri Disc...I bought both for Gunner.

BeauBuddy
10-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Georgia had the wobbles in Feb and it took at least 5 weeks of rest before I *thought maybe* there was a bit of strength coming back.

Are you using a spare leash to support the back end when she goes to potty?

Have you cut back the kibble a bit so she's not putting an extra weight while on rest?

Sending hugs to both of you. So very sorry to hear this. :hug99:

oceangirls
10-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I bought a small metal crate for Angel when she had her back problem and brought our medium sized one over from my stepmom's for Cass (usually they sleep together in a LARGE one). I put the crates right next to each other and covered the whole thing with a blanket. They seemed to do well with that.

lotsadox
10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Peaches' walking is a little wobbly this morning, but better than last night. She was feeling spunky so the meds must be helping. She is accepting her crate rest for now. I heard whining and I thought it was Peaches wanting out of the crate. It was Piper wanting IN the crate with her. :sillylove:

Showing improvement this soon sounds good to me. It's so sweet that Piper wants in Peaches. Sweet boy :sillylove:

lotsadox
10-05-2013, 08:45 PM
I bought a small metal crate for Angel when she had her back problem and brought our medium sized one over from my stepmom's for Cass (usually they sleep together in a LARGE one). I put the crates right next to each other and covered the whole thing with a blanket. They seemed to do well with that.

That sounds like a good idea, Kim

Tanya
10-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Her improvement from yesterday to today is tremendous. Honestly, if you didn't know something was wrong, you wouldn't know it by looking at her today. I am very happy about that. However, I had her out of the crate a few times today and things happened. This afternoon I let her out and we were sitting on the floor in the sun together. John & Andrew came in the house and she jumped up and RAN across the house before I could stop her. This evening I was sitting on the couch and I had her on my lap petting her with both hands. With no warning, she sprung off of my lap onto the floor. OMG, I about had a heart attack. I thought these were safe ways of letting her have some time out of the crate. :scratch:

I bought a pet stroller tonight so I can take Piper on walks and Peaches can still get some fresh air. I hope that helps. She is ready to goooo and we are only on day two of rest. I'm also going to have to get an extra crate as Kim suggested. I did put Piper in the crate with her when we went out today, but I know the longer this crate rest goes on, the bitchier she's going to get and I don't want her to take it out on him.

I spent most of yesterday crying and most of today figuring out how to get through these weeks of crate rest! If anyone has good suggestions for entertaining her, I would really appreciate it.

Also, seriously, would the medicine have her feeling this good already??? Maybe she isn't as injured as we thought. Trust me, I'm going to stick to the crate rest, but I'd be interested in hearing what those of you who have been through this before think about her huge improvement overnight.

Lisa
10-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Pred works fast. The underlying injury is still there, just the swelling is coming off the spinal cord. It is not the cord that is damaged, but the disc. The swelling of the disc puts pressure on the cord which impedes motor function. Peaches is very lucky that her injury did not do a lot of damage to her spinal cord and she got her communication back really quickly. However, the disc can not be allowed to swell again and cause further injury to the spinal cord (and more pain for Peaches), so she is as injured as you thought and the only thing that will help is time.

Yolanda
10-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Keep in mind she needs the 6 weeks of full crate rest. In a human it takes 6 weeks for a 'BAD sprain" to heal and we understand when the pain is gone we are still hurt.

Sadly, most Doxies do not care and just want to go basaltic (or ball crazy).

a

lotsadox
10-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I agree with Lisa that the Pred works really fast and for the reasons she said. I also remember Bogart suddenly thinking he was super doggie! He wanted to run! I only let him out of the crate to go potty on a leash, tightly held by me. Or to go from the crate to the stroller. Even after his crate rest was up and we put him on restricted movement, I always had a harness and leash on him with me holding the leash just in case.

It's going to be a long six weeks, but you can do it. The stroller will help a lot. I used mine so that I could take Bogart with me when I was doing stuff in the house. If I left him in his crate in the bedroom he would bark at me very loudly until I came back in the bedroom where he could see me. The stroller was awesome!

BeauBuddy
10-06-2013, 10:33 AM
The dogs that do not have surgery must have ** 8 ** weeks crate rest, recommended by dodgerslist. The reason they site is that dogs who have healed in 6 weeks often reinjury themselves worse than the first injury. Please consider giving her the full 8 weeks. Although that seems difficult to fathom at the moment, when the 6 weeks is done, try to think, 'only a few days more...'.

My very best regards to Peaches. Love my ball playing friend.

Tex
10-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Low fat peanut butter filled frozen kong! Life saver I tell ya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LexieLuvr
10-06-2013, 11:44 AM
ITA with all the suggestions - and keeping Peaches next to you on the couch or elsewhere when she even has the possibility of jumping down or running is not a good idea, as you found out. If you can, acupuncture will help with recovery - Jack was in the same boat and acupuncture helped a lot, along with meds and strict crate rest. More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Tex
10-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Low fat peanut butter filled frozen kong! Life saver I tell ya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ivan
10-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Also, seriously, would the medicine have her feeling this good already??? Maybe she isn't as injured as we thought

Oh, yes! Prednisone just masks the pain. The injury is still there, but the patient simply cannot feel the pain since pred blocks it.

I know this from personal experience when I was given pred for human IVDD, and I felt 100% great the next day, so I went out to change the oil on truck, and my neighbor (a nurse) came over to yell at me & scold me back indoors! Prednisone is magic. It's gonna maker her feel like super-doggie (tho' she's not).

LUVMYGUNNER
10-06-2013, 05:45 PM
She is feeling better cause of the prednisone...while most neuro's think 4-6 weeks of crate rest is fine...we did 8 weeks with Gunner and then only let him out with a harness, leash and his sling for 2 more weeks...we took it very slow with Gunner...Gunner right now, is on crate rest and medication also extra supplements, is getting adequan shots and will be most likely, going to do acupuncture....for right now he has lost the use of his right leg...we are messaging it and excercising it though....also looking at finding a muscle stimulator for dogs...

BeauBuddy
10-06-2013, 06:00 PM
She is feeling better cause of the prednisone...while most neuro's think 4-6 weeks of crate rest is fine...we did 8 weeks with Gunner and then only let him out with a harness, leash and his sling for 2 more weeks...we took it very slow with Gunner...

I think that Gunner had surgery though. On dodgerslist they say for the dogs that *did not* have surgery, be sure to make it 8 weeks.

I love the idea of keeping them on a harness and leash in the back yard to ease them into it, because they just don't understand 'take it easy'.

lotsadox
10-06-2013, 06:55 PM
The dogs that do not have surgery must have ** 8 ** weeks crate rest, recommended by dodgerslist. The reason they site is that dogs who have healed in 6 weeks often reinjury themselves worse than the first injury. Please consider giving her the full 8 weeks. Although that seems difficult to fathom at the moment, when the 6 weeks is done, try to think, 'only a few days more...'.

My very best regards to Peaches. Love my ball playing friend.

I did 10 weeks with Bogart just to be sure. Even then I started him off on restricted movement (always in harness and leash or confined in a small room on carpet). At that point, I was so nervous that I couldn't just let him go. But it worked for him.

Rae
10-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Sadly the crew is right, T. She's jacked up on Pred and could probably jump over the house.

It's going to be tough but you're going to have to suck it up and be a hard ass.

LUVMYGUNNER
10-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Yes, Gunner had surgery, but when the neuro said 4 weeks, I said 8 weeks and we still took it easy for a few weeks after that,...Gunner got pneumonia a week after surgery, so he had to go back to the hospital for a few days...I wasn't gonna take a chance...We did the leash/harness/sling dingy, after he was walking in the sling and heard a dog, in the alley and ran, out of his sling....we chased after him and couldn't catch him...
*Patrice I agree with you...my dog, I don't take chances...crate rest doesn't hurt, any dog...

SaxLady
10-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Tanya, soothing music will help. Find a nice radio station and turn it on low, just so she can hear it. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LUVMYGUNNER
10-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Lavender oil messages also help...we do it with Gunners leg...