PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Alex's Mom
10-25-2013, 07:57 AM
James had a good night, and ate and drank fine this morning (he's loving that meat!) So I left him to go feed the horses, and when I got home, he's back in the shape he was in yesterday. :shocked: I think he really needs to poop but can't. So off we go to Laura's again. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a blockage...I looked up gastric cascade, and from what I read, it's basically bloat without the torsion. This is not good. Will update when I can.

RustysMom
10-25-2013, 08:36 AM
James had a good night, and ate and drank fine this morning (he's loving that meat!) So I left him to go feed the horses, and when I got home, he's back in the shape he was in yesterday. :shocked: I think he really needs to poop but can't. So off we go to Laura's again. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a blockage...I looked up gastric cascade, and from what I read, it's basically bloat without the torsion. This is not good. Will update when I can.

ahhh!!!! James!!!! I really hope you find a solution and something to help him. If he cant poo is there a laxative or something he can be given to help?

Yes updated ASAP!!! :hug99: :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Rae
10-25-2013, 09:08 AM
(sigh) anxiously awaiting good news. Love you both.

LexieLuvr
10-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Oh, no! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. Awaiting a good update!!!

lotsadox
10-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Oh, crap. I was hoping he'd be doing well. Let us know how he is when you can. :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin:

areese
10-25-2013, 10:04 AM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:
:hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99:

Lisa
10-25-2013, 10:44 AM
If anyone on the planet can figure out what is going on and how to fix it - Dr. Laura can! I truly hope it is an easy fix. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

areese
10-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Seems like his intestines might still be irritated..I'm wondering if a bland bulky diet for a few days might help. I bet once they (intestines) get irritated they spasm again and cause him discomfort. since it happened after he ate..that starts the peristaltic movements in his intestines even though the food hasn't hit there yet...

Ivan
10-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Rawfeeding circles say that switching to a (never before eaten) new meat variety can give some dogs gas & loose stools (cannon butt) for a couple of days. It stops as their bodies adjust to what's new. I hope maybe that's all it is? From the pheasant.

Two Red Smooth's
10-25-2013, 01:05 PM
:bigrayz: Poor kiddo.

Alex's Mom
10-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Am at school...Laura examined him, and there are 2 REALLY sore spots (as in yelping with pain) in his abdomen. One in the lower gut and one near the liver. He's not as full of gas as he was yesterday, but that's because VERY BAD MOM that I am, I didn't listen to my gut and take him in on Wed evening when he first started going downhill, and then it was midmorning when he became shocky that I got him in yesterday morning. I suck big time. At least today, I brought him in as soon as it started up! At any rate, I've left him there for an x-ray and will go back for the results when I'm done teaching. *sigh* I'm really worried though, cuz Laura's not open on the weekend, and is going away Sunday and Monday, and then is away for the first 10 days of Nov. She really is my security blanket. :rolleyes:

Amy, the problem is with constipation...he's not pooping. I'm guessing that his innards are still sore, but he's already on a bland diet. This is JUST like colic in horses, although the two digestive systems are built differently, of course. He's also had 2 doses of metaclop which is a motility drug, so it should be moving food through. That's why we're suspicious of a blockage (not to mention the tumour already in there!!).

Ivan, he didn't really get enough of the pheasant innards to count. I scooped him up before he could do much more than lick. Laura was worried about any bacteria that might have been in there though. We don't know if that's what it was, but it's a possibility.

Will report back when I know more. Feeling kinda helpless here........:sosad:.

Lisa
10-25-2013, 02:14 PM
I know he needs to poop, but would gas-x help control some of the air? I am so sorry your little man is not 100%. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Rae
10-25-2013, 02:54 PM
I have a suggestion! Do you have a really big bottle of Pepto- Bismol? Is it good and full? GREAT! Whack yourself in the head with it for calling yourself a bad mom. Your dogs are incredibly blessed and lucky to have you and you do an outstanding job with them!!!

You're in tune, and if you took a dog to Laura's every time it got a butt hair crossways, you'd be eating cat food out of the can yourself. (you're not, yet, are you?)

You are highly attentive and super loving and I just won't hear any more self-bashing. So there.

Tanya
10-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for James. I hope his tummy is feeling better soon. You can't beat yourself up over this. The incident seemed so minor at first that you had no way of knowing this would happen. :hug99:

Alex's Mom
10-25-2013, 04:48 PM
*sigh* What did I ever do to the Universe to deserve not 1 but 2 mystery doggies???????

X-rays showed nothing blocking anything. And, he pooped all over the tech and the table while they were rolling him around during the x-rays (just after Laura did her palpations). The only thing it showed was that there are arthritic discs near his hips, and of course the arthritis in his hips is getting worse. Laura thought there might be some nerve damage, which, combined with the fact it hurts him to "assume the position" may be the source of all this. But nothing conclusive.

So......more drugs. He's now on upper GI motility drugs and lower GI motility drugs. So we'll see if that helps at all.

I just want this to go away, esp. since Laura's going away!!!!!!! Can't even imagine beginning to try to explain all this to the ER vets (whom I loathe anyway). Where is that headbanging smiley??? :rolleyes:

And Rae? The cat food, no, but James is being pretty kind about me sharing his new food.......:)

Yolanda
10-25-2013, 05:13 PM
I have a suggestion! Do you have a really big bottle of Pepto- Bismol? Is it good and full? GREAT! Whack yourself in the head with it for calling yourself a bad mom. Your dogs are incredibly blessed and lucky to have you and you do an outstanding job with them!!!

WoW, what a great way to say it. Now stop it and listen to Rae.

Alex's Mom
10-26-2013, 08:38 AM
WE HAVE POOP!!!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: Gelatinous VERY stinky goo but poop nonetheless. :)

He had a good night (me, not so much...I was so worried, I woke up at 1:40 and never went back to sleep :rolleyes: ), with lots of stinky bum (never thought I'd be grateful for dog farts :rolleyes: ), happily ate his b'fast (he's loving the meat!) and we went back to bed. I went to the barn, and when I came home, there it was. He even used the pee pad, sweet boy.

Honest to god, you'd think I was a hooparent doing toilet training :rotfl:. :crossfin: that that's this crisis sorted!!

alfina
10-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Yey!!!

oceangirls
10-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Great news! Can you sneak in a Saturday nap for yourself? :)

lotsadox
10-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I hope this will be a bit more regular now (pun intended)! :cheer3::cheer3:

I never thought I'd spend time even thinking about dog poop and farts, much less obsessing about them. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

areese
10-27-2013, 08:13 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
:thumbup:

LexieLuvr
10-27-2013, 12:28 PM
BEST news ever!!! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:, just in case.

RustysMom
11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Im not sure how I missed the last update! so........

:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

How is he still doing?

Alex's Mom
11-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Well, he's pooping at least, although it's still gelatinous goop...Laura doesn't seem concerned, so I'm not going to be (although it's pretty gross :rolleyes: ). We're taking him off the metaclop slowly but he'll be on the cisapride for good now. Sadly, he has to have it 1/2 hour before he eats, so he's now got one eye open at 3 am looking for his "treat". :conf4: SO no impressed with this......... But we live to eat another day :rotfl:. He was actually playing with his ball a bit this week, so that's good!