PDA

View Full Version : Laika's 2 week check

areese
10-25-2013, 10:13 AM
actually 16 days :) but everything looks good, got her "zipper" removed. still had not great prioperception going on in the rear hence the drunken walk but over all really good progress esp for the amount of damage in there. 4 more weeks in the crate then another recheck. Neuro wants to be super cautious with returning her to normal every day life because so much bone was removed (two surgeries on same disc).
She's pain free on no meds.
She is such a goob. she LOVES going there. who would have thought that??? She acts like she owns the place and wants to kiss everyone and wanted them to rub her belly not take her staples out. Tried to get them to play with her instead. Must say something about the care there... and I will say they all smile when Laika comes in as she is soooo freaking sweet and not all of the dogs there are.
I think at this point they should name a wing of the facility after her. 2 surgeries, 3 MRI's...we should at least have an exam room named after her!

Alex's Mom
10-25-2013, 10:19 AM
What a great update!!! :cheer3::cheer3: It does say a lot about the care that she's so happy to be there :). Much like all of my guys have been when going to Laura's. Better than having to drag them in, I suppose :rotfl:. And Laura has actually renamed the room where she keeps the food the Alex Romanow Memorial room :). Since we paid for it pretty much!!!

Lisa
10-25-2013, 10:36 AM
I am so glad she is doing so great! Continued healing rayz for your beauty.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

How is the rest of the crew?

RustysMom
10-25-2013, 10:49 AM
:cheer3: :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Ivan
10-25-2013, 11:08 AM
That's a great Laika report. Glad she's healing. Drunken walk is WAY better than not! :) So happy she's getting better, and better. Didn't like the "football look" eh? Me neither. She'll soon be running, to see the nice doctors. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Twice in 1 spot? So did they do any fenestration of surrounding discs? Ours didn't. Vet told me it was more common before, less now, with the hope it won't go any further. I'm just curious. Anyway, I suspect Laika isn't likely to curtail her future activities, on account of a little ouchie? Please offer Laika a belly rub, from me?

I can only imagine how sweet disposition is your entire circus pack, led by Laika and your marvelous training. Seems natural she would carry this joy into the doc's office. :sillylove:

lotsadox
10-25-2013, 11:10 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: Great news! Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

areese
10-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Yes they did fenestrate the adjoining discs five years ago. I'm pretty sure they did...I recall asking about it. I never thought the same disc could rupture again but they said they can't remove all the disc material.. and the scar tissue from the other surgery made the rupture more..intense. less room for the disc material to spread out, causing more compression. I don't think it is very common for this to happen..

That's a great Laika report. Glad she's healing. Drunken walk is WAY better than not! :) So happy she's getting better, and better. Didn't like the "football look" eh? Me neither. She'll soon be running, to see the nice doctors. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Twice in 1 spot? So did they do any fenestration of surrounding discs? Ours didn't. Vet told me it was more common before, less now, with the hope it won't go any further. I'm just curious. Anyway, I suspect Laika isn't likely to curtail her future activities, on account of a little ouchie? Please offer Laika a belly rub, from me?

I can only imagine how sweet disposition is your entire circus pack, led by Laika and your marvelous training. Seems natural she would carry this joy into the doc's office. :sillylove:

Yolanda
10-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Good teacup and I ha ope she continues to improve. How is the wobbly walk doing - getting better?

areese
10-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Oh yes, Yolanda, her walking gets better and better. I think a little bit every day even. Just being really careful..I used a sling even though she prob. didn't need it after than first week. Just want to be careful. Dr said we could do weight shifting exercises now-pushing her hips from side to side while she is standing. But strangely...I'm not in a hurry to do exercises. I know she'll come back once she is able to walk around more. and I don't want to damage anything. cuz if this happens again, I will have to let her go. I don't have any more money and she's not a dog who will be happy in a crate for the rest of her life... she already wants to run. She really wants to run up the ramp to the door. I carry her up and her fat front feet are running the whole time. :sillylove:
and I've been doing what you suggested last time-having her eat standing up. been doing that since she came home and now she stands very sturdily and easily. I stand right there to make sure she doesn't go anywhere.

Tanya
10-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Great news, Amy!!! Continued healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Laika, but her progress sounds amazing! Yay!

oceangirls
10-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Laika is awesome! Very happy for you and your girl :)

few more of these things: :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
10-25-2013, 07:33 PM
The very best news! Jack wanted to run and walk way sooner than he should, too, and it was hard to keep him contained after a couple of weeks. More recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Rafi
10-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the update on :love98: Laika :love98: and good news, it is appreciated.