PDA

View Full Version : To bring or not to bring?

Courtney
04-04-2006, 12:54 PM
I am going to Atlanta on Thursday to my parents' house, and my sister and her family (kids ages 6, 3, and 6 months) are going to be there too. Napoleon met the older kids around Christmas 2004 and was mostly OK though he definitely was wary of the oldest. He is HORRID with children now, barks and barks and it drives me crazy. But we never encounter kids, so I can't work on the issue. Should I take him with me to Atlanta? I know he will be fine on the plane, he loves his Sherpa and it's a short trip. I think it'd be a good chance to socialize him with the kids, and he is old enough where he can stay at home for a while when all of us go out and do activities. Thoughts??

Chrystyna
04-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I would take him. It's not going to get any better if you don't put him in contact with kids. You know plenty about his personality, so you know what to watch for to make sure there isn't a problem. Pack one of your spray bottles, so you can use it if needed. And...make sure there's a place there for him where you can give him a "time out" if the barking starts to drive you (and the others) bonkers!

quavec
04-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Chrystyna stole the words right outta my mouth. Have a safe flight!

Yolanda
04-04-2006, 01:44 PM
I realize this is probably "off base", but what would your parents say about Napoleon coming?

In my fathers side of the family you just never took any pets to the family house. It was highly frowned on.

I basically stopped going after I was gone. If my pupper isn't welcome then neither am I.

Otto'sMom
04-04-2006, 02:07 PM
If my pupper isn't welcome then neither am I.

:ditto: No Otto=No Andrea I would never want to go somewhere where pets weren't welcome.
That being said, what better way to desensitize Po to the annoyance that is children? At least its kids you know.

Courtney
04-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Oh they would love for Napoleon to come!! They love him. Call him their granddog. The kids would be happy too, but they are my only concern. Sweet kids and good kids, but kids. I think only the oldest would really want to play with Napoleon, and that is the child Napoleon is wary of. He will probably be really wound up, with the excitement of going to visit the grandparents and Aunt Coo. I will have to see what my sister thinks about it.

Chris
04-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I would take him. Are the kids going to be with you constantly or will they just be visiting with you for a few hours at a time? BTW...does he bark at ANY kid even if they aren't doing anything - or does he not like the fact that they run around.

I would also set ground rules for the kids. (i know its usually touchy when someone tries to discipline someone else's kids, but i think its totally apropriate to tell them what the rules are - the typical let the dog come to you, etc.). Also.. that if they run around and are loud, Napoleon gets upset because he thinks they are hurt. But if they stay settled down, Napoleon calms down and they might be even able to pet him later on. And wouldn't they want to help Napoleon out?

Jen
04-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Great advice given, I'd take him and get ground rules so no one, kids or Po, gets hurt. Will Thor be staying with Adam?

Courtney
04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
The kids will be there constantly. He barks at ANY kid!! We set ground rules last time, like sit and be calm and let Napoleon come to you, and it worked. I remember that Ed (the oldest) and I even took Napoleon on a walk! :)

quavec
04-04-2006, 02:41 PM
One thing to try. Talk to the oldest and ask for his 'help'. Explain that Po gets nervous. You need him to help you keep Po calm. My daughter always responded better when I requested her assistance in doing things: making the beds, cleaning the rooms ('your brother sure makes a mess when he plays, can you help me out with picking up his toys? Maybe show him how to clean up?'). It really worked. What I'm trying to get as is perhaps enlist Ed's help in aclimating Po with the younger kids. Sounds like it worked fairly well during your walk last visit.

Good luck.

Michelle
04-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I would definately take him with, the more exposure the better, someday you and Adam may have children and it would be best to start getting him used to the little ones now, maybe have a talk with the older child about being more calm around Po and see if that would help. I think it is a good idea to take him along. :banana:

HotDogMama
04-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying, but if you just want to visit, and not have to deal with the stress on both of you, I would leave him at home, but that is just my opinion. :)

Courtney
04-04-2006, 03:29 PM
someday you and Adam may have children

That's a NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Michelle
04-04-2006, 03:36 PM
That's a NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: OK, just a thought :rotfl: :rotfl:
Still think you should bring PO,, I hate leaving the girls behind for anything now,, I have to travel in June to do interviews in another part of our state and Heidi and Princess are coming with me in the hotel room if the breeders cannot watch them. I can't stand to be away from them...

JanUet
04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I would take Po with you!! Perhaps have your sister speak to the children and let them no ahead of time, that Po has never really been around children before so he may bark or get upset with them.
It would be really nice for your family to see him.
Po might just be his sweet Ol' Self...ya never know :hearts:

Keep us posted

LUVMYGUNNER
04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Gunner and Petunia go everywhere we go. You had Po at granny's house before and he did well so you have nothing to worry about. Gunner barks at kids, bicyles, people in wheel chairs etc, etc.

Mama S.
04-04-2006, 08:09 PM
OOhh Courtney - I'm only an hour and a half from Atlanta! AND am supposed to be there this weekend to transport Cinnamon. How long will you be there? Any chance of a short meet up??
Sandi

Courtney
04-04-2006, 11:40 PM
I'll be north of Atlanta in Cumming and I come back Tuesday. I have no idea of our schedule though - we are taking the kids places a lot! :) When will you be there?

Patt
04-05-2006, 12:38 AM
I think I would leave Po home, so you can enjoy the visit without having to be constantly watching and correcting the kids with him. It really depends on whether you are going to be on the 'go' a lot, then he would be left behind wherever you are staying anyway. Just my 2 cents, you know your dog and the kids best.

Courtney
04-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, I decided not to take him. For one, the plane fare is expensive for him, and two, I want to be able to focus on spending time with my niece and nephews. I did chat with a friend who is a vet student at Texas A&M and who runs the behavior club at the school - she is really into training. She gave me some good ideas on how to make Napoleon understand that all good things in life come through ME and how to slowly get him to be calmer around kids! :)