PDA

View Full Version : Incisor Teeth

Joyelle
01-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Both of my dogs have recently undergone dentals (I have just funded my vets vacation).

Both of my dogs have lost there upper incisors. The tech said they were loose. She described it has piano keys.

What could be causing this?

Both dogs are 6 with just none to mild tarter.

I'm stumped.

Alex's Mom
01-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Are they big chewers, especially of hard things like Nylabones? That might be part of it. But it's odd that they should both lose their incisors...they're usually the last to go!

RustysMom
01-24-2014, 01:41 PM
thats what I was thinking, if they chewed a lot. Did you ask your vet why they were loose?

Lisa
01-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Do give them bottled water or tap water (with fluoride)? I know they are seeing a lot of dental issues in kids that are given non-fluoridated water, I would imagine the same would be true for dogs.

lotsadox
01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Interesting. I've had a dog lose incisors but it was usually when they were quite old. Never when they were young. I think more of the problems from chewing come with the back molars although my dogs have all been big chewers and only one even cracked a tooth. It never bothered her so we left it in place and just checked it.

That's interesting about the water, Lisa. I've always given my tap water because ours is pretty good (at least that's what they tell us :rolleyes:)

Joyelle
01-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Fluoride was banned from water in Thunder Bay. So no fluoride in tap water. They do drink tap water. The water here is really clean. I drink tap water.

Penny had her dental last month and I thought she might have lost her incisors from always having a ball in her mouth, but then Ruby had to have hers pulled and she doesn't play ball.

My dogs do not chew nylabones but they do like sweet potato treats. They are hard & chewy.

Lisa
01-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Do you feed kibble or soft food? Sweet potatoes should not damage teeth.

Joyelle
01-24-2014, 05:21 PM
I feed Acana kibble.

I forgot to mention that Ruby has an overbite. About 1/4"

Alex's Mom
01-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I'd ask my vet (not the tech) if s/he has any ideas why they might have been loose, and exactly how loose they were. Not thinking malpractice or anything, but it is definitely VERY odd that they should both loose them. :scratch:

BeauBuddy
01-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Are they big chewers, especially of hard things like Nylabones? That might be part of it. But it's odd that they should both lose their incisors...they're usually the last to go!

Are you guys thinking of the canines?
The incisors are the small front ones. Actually Engli lost hers and she has all her other teeth. I think the roots are quite short, and she does on occasion like to dig in the lawn, then grab the grass roots and pull.

Flouride does not create loose teeth, gum disease does. It strengthens enamel, which is why it's in your toothpaste.
I am surprised that Thunderbay does not have flouridated water!!

lotsadox
01-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Are you guys thinking of the canines?
The incisors are the small front ones. Actually Engli lost hers and she has all her other teeth. I think the roots are quite short, and she does on occasion like to dig in the lawn, then grab the grass roots and pull.

Flouride does not create loose teeth, gum disease does. It strengthens enamel, which is why it's in your toothpaste.
I am surprised that Thunderbay does not have flouridated water!!

Yes, the small front ones are incisors and I don't really think that they get loosened from chewing. Usually more like pulling like you are describing Penny.

Alex's Mom
01-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Incisors = the "Chiclet" teeth, no?? :rotfl:

lotsadox
01-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Incisors = the "Chiclet" teeth, no?? :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Exactly!

Joyelle
01-26-2014, 02:32 PM
The loose teeth that were pulled were the top front teeth. The little chiclets teeth. They both look like a six year old after their front baby teeth fell out.

I have a recall appt next week. I will ask the vet why they would be loose.

BeauBuddy
01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm betting the roots are pretty short too.
Makes a frightful smile doesn't it? lol Just glad it's not me.

lotsadox
01-26-2014, 08:02 PM
The roots are very short on those teeth.