PDA

View Full Version : Mom says play with me?

lucerogina
02-26-2014, 03:15 AM
Alrighty. So Elliott is not a player. Any tips? He got a bobo a few weeks ago and chases the other dogs who play at the dog park but that's it. Any ideas how to make him play and enjoy his sweet self?

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

Alex's Mom
02-26-2014, 05:54 AM
In my experience some dogs are players, and others are lovers :). My first dachsie Maxe had absolutely no interest in toys whatsoever. In fact, I got Alex when Maxe was 9, and Alex's very first toy was Maxe's puppy nylabone (Yes, I'm a hoarder!) :rotfl:. Alex would occasionally chase a ball, and loved to shred a stuffie, but she wasn't much into to toys either with the exception of a nylabone, which she loved to chew. Wen had no idea what playing or toys were because he spent most of his life in a crate in a garage before he came to me. He tried to copy James playing once or twice, but just didn't get it. James was really the only one who liked toys, and his preference was his ball (so much so that I've set one next to his urn :rolleyes: ). Try him with a ball and see if he'll chase it. But as I say, he may just not be into toys.

Lisa
02-26-2014, 09:54 AM
I have four and none are players. They are all chewers, love kongs etc, but they destuff toys and are over it.

lotsadox
02-26-2014, 10:23 AM
I have four and none are players. They are all chewers, love kongs etc, but they destuff toys and are over it.

That's my 3 exactly! Scooter used to chase a ball once in a while when he was younger, but now he just looks at me like "You threw it out there, lady. You go get it" :rotfl:

I agree with Paula. Some just don't play. They have other things that they enjoy. I don't try to make them do anything. They are happy just the way they are so I just go with it and make sure they get lots of bones to enjoy.

LexieLuvr
02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
All very true. My Jack will only play with a Kong ball now, if there is a treat in it. When he was younger, he played with toys more, but no longer. I gave most of his toys away.

Ivan
02-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Strange eh? Buddy & Holly don't play, either. Not even tug-of-war. They just ignore all toys, even Kong filled with peanut butter. We've tried. Roughhousing at dog parks just scares B&H. They do enjoy a gentle romp with some other doxies, hence monthly meetups. They ignore all squirrels & birds, but will engage larger game (cat/skunk/g-hog/deer). Mostly, Buddy loves to hunt (by nose). Does Elliott hunt? I wonder if maybe earthdog trials would suit him?

BeauBuddy
02-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Can you try to engage his nose?
Let him smell a kibble in your hand, then put it under a margarine container. He has to figure out how to get it. Try different sized containers.

Have someone hold him while you let him smell a kibble in your hand, then walk around and put it behind a curtain. Make it very easy, and when he gets the hang of it, little bit harder. Nose, food, hunting. Let me know if it works. lol

oceangirls
02-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Those are good ideas, Penny :thumbup:. I've thought about that, and would probably do it if I only had one dog (rather than two trying to shove each other out of the way to get the treat) :rolleyes:.

My two play in specific ways. Angel likes to play by herself; she will attack a toy and fling it about, and romp around the room with it. Or she will jump around and bark at invisible demons in our house (I don't know if that's playing, or if Angel can actually see demons. Anything is possible with Angel). She has absolutely no concept of "fetch."

Cassie will grab toys and run around the room squeaking them. But if you try to throw them, she only brings them back once or twice. I think she is mainly trying to get Angel's attention to play.

They do play-fight with each other quite a bit, which is really cute.

Cassie will play with me - if I cover my face and say "Get Mama!" she will weasel her way in to lick me. She's very skilled :).

My previous doxie Tristan was great at fetch :dunno:

lucerogina
02-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Great ideas everyone! Thanks for the advice!! Elliott is definitely a lover. I bet he would love earth trials. He is very excited when we see squirrels. He starts to shake all over. If I lived in the country I would let him loose to get those dang squirrels!!!

Loving my Elliott,
Gina