PDA

View Full Version : Theo rays

Kasianni
02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Would appreciate any spare rayz for my little guy! Theo was fine yesterday during the day. He was sitting on my lap when I was on the computer just before dinner, picked him up and put him down on the floor and he yelped, didn't think much of it, went to feed him dinner. He looked at his food and came and sat beside me. As you all know a Doxie that doesn't want to eat is a signal of some sort! Called my Sister she came over to see if she noticed anything and he didn't great her like he usually does. I noticed that his back right legs slipped on the floor, he's never done that, found it very odd. I won't say what I thought, I know you all know! Was 6pm by now, called my vets, they could see him at 6:30. Brought him in, she checked everything. He has a sensitive spot on his back, same spot as when he had a little spill last August and I believe the same spot his calcification is. Great! Vet did the toe test, passed with flying colors, his neck is fine all seems really well except that one spot. Of course when we got to the vets he suddenly was acting fine, I had him on the floor and he was walking around wagging, being the cutie he is for everyone. So she gave him a shot for inflammation/pain and sent me home with Metacam. No walks for a month, and no jumping (nothing for him to jump on here anyways)wants him to rest. Please send whatever positive thoughts, vibes, rayz his way. I believe she gave him a shot of Metacam don't know the effects of it but he's still in bed as I type this. He ate this morning no problems and seems to be fine.

lotsadox
02-26-2014, 10:40 AM
BTDT. If he was my dog, I'd keep him on restricted movement (or crate rest) for 6 weeks or so and see how he does. Cash has a tender spot on his back. We've been doing chiro every 5 weeks and a natural anti-inflammatory to keep him in good shape. He was also on restricted movement for several weeks last fall. It's working so far and has been for several months now. I'm hoping it continues :crossfin::crossfin:

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for your little man

Alex's Mom
02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Aw, poor Theo (and his mom). Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. I agree with Patrice...a few weeks of restricted movement might be a really good idea.

I love how quick you are to react to things like this, Kasia! You're such a great mom. :hug99:

LexieLuvr
02-26-2014, 11:29 AM
ITA with those above. You might want to try cold laser or acupuncture, too. Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Lisa
02-26-2014, 11:32 AM
BTDT too :sosad:

Treat it as IVDD (I truly believe it is). If he can do crate rest DO IT. For at least 4 weeks. Then I would restrict him for another 4. Meaning, crate while you are not home and only short periods out of the crate, just to keep his muscles working. Still no jumping, playing, walking for 8 weeks.

The good news, it sounds like a minor leak :crossfin: He could still get worse before he gets better, so be prepared. The Metacam will reduce the swelling, but the like is still there, that is why he needs the crate rest. It has to heal and calcify again.

Since you have been there already, you know at the time, it drags like there is no tomorrow, but in the big picture, you get through it and he is stronger because you were firm.

I also totally agree with the laser treatments too.

Keep us posted!! :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Theo.

Ivan
02-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Yikes! Sending rayz for you furboy. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: Yes, sure sounds like IVDD symptoms. Crate rest for 2 months seems wise. Hope he won't need surgery. You already know about http://dodgerslist.com right?

lotsadox
02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
I love how quick you are to react to things like this, Kasia! You're such a great mom. :hug99:

I second that! You can tell people who really live with their dogs and notice when something is off right away. So wonderful for the dogs since they can't speak to tell us what is wrong.

Lisa
03-06-2014, 11:54 AM
How is Theo doing?

LexieLuvr
03-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Yes, how is he? :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
03-06-2014, 02:08 PM
How is Theo doing?

Theo is doing very well, thank you for asking! No playing, no walking, no jumping, keeping him calm. Its hard with a doxie though hehe. Theo is never alone because of his seizures, (Its actually 4 months today since his last one.) if I am not here, I have my sister come and watch him and I am working from home right now, so its all working out well. He was obviously in pain the first day when I brought him to the vet but since using the Metacam he shows no sign of pain or that anything is wrong. He's happy and resting and acting like himself. We've had a few days of sun here so Theo and Mika are taking advantage of it and baking in the sun all morning.

Kasianni
03-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Yes, how is he? :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Theo is doing very well, thank you for asking! :)

bittyup
03-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Poor lil guy. Lots of healing rays for Theo:bigrayz::bigrayz::love98:It was good you got him right to the Vet.