PDA

View Full Version : Bananas :)

Lisa
03-06-2014, 11:47 AM
The question was raised in another thread, "how do you get your furkids to take pills?"

I use ripe bananas. They stick together really well. Peanut butter gets licked off and the pill left. Processed cheese totally falls apart when in contact with water. Pill pockets are expensive and I have to go searching for them, plus Pogo has such a sensitive tummy, I never know with him.

Of course, all mine love bananas and I randomly give them some with their breakfast or dinner during the week sans pills, so that when the time comes they just gulp it down, none the wiser :)

What do you use?

LexieLuvr
03-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Cheez Whiiz has worked well for me. Also, someone suggested putting a pill inside a sweet pea or snow pea and sealing it in with peanut butter. Good idea!

Alex's Mom
03-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Pill Pockets all the way!! My guys have blown hot and cold with bananas, but I used to give Maxe her pills wrapped in cheese...that always worked! I buy the large PPs and then only use part. Makes them last longer. I've recipes for homemade ones too, but have never tried to make them.

RustysMom
03-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Odie has to take a pill twice a day for his seizures. we use pill pockets. Yes, they are expensive but the best way to go for us. I recently got a good deal. In store here they are $7:50-$8.00 a bag for 30 pockets. One day I went looking on the website for Dr. Fosters & Smith.com and they had them on sale for $3.50 a bag. I bought a bunch! :)

lotsadox
03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
I usually use peanut butter if I have to give pills without a meal. Since I do holistic medicine, I can open the capsules or crush the pills. I often do that if they don't want to take the pills on their food. I have used pill pockets and had good luck with them.

LexieLuvr
03-06-2014, 01:17 PM
I've had good luck with Pill Pockets, too. Jack loves them.

Ivan
03-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Good idea! Jebbie LOVED bananas, and Buddy scarfs 'em up. So I'd guess hiding pills inside them would work out well. Holly declines them, but she'll take pills with a dollop of butter.

Red Haired Girl
03-06-2014, 07:38 PM
I use Liverwurst, I've never had a dog refuse it, even sick ones. It is so stinky they can't resist.

lucerogina
03-08-2014, 09:32 PM
I use a little bit of lunch meat. My babies are so happy to get it that they practically swallow it whole. Never had a pill come back out. :)

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

oceangirls
03-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Oooh, what a good topic idea :thumbup:.

I usually smoosh up some cheese - cheddar or Kraft singles or whatever - around the pill and put that piece on my fingers and a second piece farther back on my hand. They will gulp down the first piece to get the second. It works great with mine because they are so competitive... no time to think about what might be inside that cheese because MY SISTER MIGHT GET MY SECOND BITE! OH HORRORS!!

Also works with a lump of their canned food. I have even done it with Flagyl liquid (which tastes bitter)... just squirted it into a canned food-meatball :).

Cassie doesn't like banana, for some reason :sosad:.