PDA

View Full Version : Peaches' Back (Advice Needed)

Tanya
03-11-2014, 03:59 PM
So we are definitely not in the clearing with Peaches' back problems. :( Since injuring her back in Oct, we have played ball twice. The first time (January 20)everything went great...not a single problem. The second time (January 26), she seemed sore/in pain the next day. I gave her a muscle relaxer and had her rest in the crate. This seemed to do the trick and she was back to normal until this week. The weather was terrible in February so we didn't do much, but the past few days it has been great. We went for short walks on Friday and Sunday, and then we did a little bit longer walk last night. Today she is sore/in pain again. :( We didn't even play any ball. Maybe too many walks in a short period after not doing much for over a month?! This makes me so sad. :sosad:

Advice please. I can't just let her sit in the house and do nothing the rest of her life.

LexieLuvr
03-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Maybe start out slower with exercise? I really don't know.:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
03-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Maybe start out slower with exercise? I really don't know.:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: That is what I would do.

lotsadox
03-11-2014, 04:15 PM
It may have to be slower. I don't really know. After Bogart was down, my vet had me go really, really slowly with letting him be active again to avoid re-injury.

BeauBuddy
03-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Could it be something like arthritis? Maybe not even a back issue. Would arthritis have a different treatment?

This just makes my heart ache. Peaches the ball nut. Hoping for some wonderful days ahead for her.

Alex's Mom
03-12-2014, 04:17 AM
I think it was too much too soon. It takes a while to build muscles up, but no time at all for them to turn back to gel (speaking from experience here :rolleyes: ). And even if she is slowing down, and can't keep up the same level of activity, it doesn't mean doing nothing, it just means doing it slower, maybe differently, and in shorter periods of activity. Using more "mind" training than high energy activity. Not worse, just different!

lotsadox
03-12-2014, 08:35 AM
I think it was too much too soon. It takes a while to build muscles up, but no time at all for them to turn back to gel (speaking from experience here :rolleyes: ). And even if she is slowing down, and can't keep up the same level of activity, it doesn't mean doing nothing, it just means doing it slower, maybe differently, and in shorter periods of activity. Using more "mind" training than high energy activity. Not worse, just different!

That's a good point, Paula. Sometimes they (like us) just have to slow down a bit. Taking things a bit slower is not stopping completely.

Rae
03-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Oh T I am so sorry that the Ball Nut can't do her most favorite thing without repercussions. Savannah is a toy, ball, jumping nut too, and I fear for her back every time she launches herself!

Big :bigrayz: for The Flying Sausage... I'm sorry I don't have any great advice, but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you all and wishing you the very best!

Yolanda
03-12-2014, 09:23 AM
I think Paula is probably right on the mark. Too much too soon and maybe some arthritis has developed.

For my Phoenix (he had surgery around one), he always had a issues with aches and pains until he passed away at 17. I kept a pain reliever and and anti inflammatory on had for him if needed. Remember a human knows when they have a spin to take it easy sadly Peaches does not.

Tanya
03-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks so much for the replies. She is no where near as bad as she was in October, but something is definitely bothering her. She's looking better today, but super sad to be in the crate. I thought I was taking it easy on her by doing walks instead of ball. My plan was to build up her muscles with walks before we even thought about ball again. So, I was devastated when a walk has caused pain. :( I'll go easier on her. Looks like this new lifestyle is a big adjustment for me too. It just kills me to see her not be able to do what she loves. In October, the vet told me that she has like no signs of arthritis. Could it have come on this quickly? I don't know anything about it and didn't even think about that.

Alex's Mom
03-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Arthritis is a funny thing (and don't I just know it!!!!! :sosad: ) It can be present long before it shows up on any x-rays. bone on bone grating just plain hurts, as does inflammation. And yes, it can creep up like that (it's been 6 months after all). She's been such an athlete and maybe the extra wear and tear on her joints (cuz she's such a ball nutbar :love98: ) could develop too. Listen to her...if it hurts, she'll let you know. I don't know if I'd necessarily keep her crated (if it's not her back for sure)...the more she moves around, the more those muscles are going to be building, even if slowly. You're doing great...just be patient. She may never be the wild child she was (except in her heart), but then, who of us is as we age?? :hug99::hug99:

Ivan
03-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Poor little Peaches is in pain. Sending mega rayz for a solution. :bigrayz::bigrayz: Can a vet offer her any advice? I'm witcha on the aging thing. Preventing pain leads to more good days than bad, tho' we all have our moments.

Lisa
03-12-2014, 01:35 PM
If you do suspect it is an IVDD flare up, I would bring her into the vets for a proper diagnosis and meds.

Did you try the toe test? If she is flying through that, I would let her rest, but not hard core confinement. I agree with Paula, I would let her muscles build up, slowly. 1/4 walks for a week, then 1/2, then 3/4 and finally full walks in a month from now. See how she does going a bit slower.

Glad she is doing better today!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
03-12-2014, 01:35 PM
I don't know if I'd necessarily keep her crated (if it's not her back for sure)...the more she moves around, the more those muscles are going to be building, even if slowly. You're doing great...just be patient. She may never be the wild child she was (except in her heart), but then, who of us is as we age?? :hug99::hug99:

I agree. Restricted movement might be a good idea. No running, jumping or playing. I had to do that with Miller when he strained his leg playing with Scooter. It was bit of a pain keeping him on a leash all the time except when we were in a small room, but it worked. If there is any arthritis, moving will help with that.

Tanya
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Yes, toe test was fine. She is not wobbly or anything. Just in pain which seems to be in the back area. This morning I called the rehabilitation vet that she saw in Oct, and I'm waiting impatiently for the call back.

Lisa
03-26-2014, 10:54 AM
How is Miss Thing doing? Any improvement?

Tanya
03-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Yes, she is doing fine now. I ended up taking her to the vet a few weeks ago, and she checked out fine. Showed no signs of pain whatsoever. :wtf2: We treated her with a meds and rest since she did show signs of pain at home.

Thanks for asking, Lisa! :hug99:

LexieLuvr
03-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Glad she's okay! Back issues are so scary!