PDA

View Full Version : Theo went down tonight. (Update - Post #122)

Kasianni
04-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Tonight at dinner time when Theo went to do his little pee, I noticed that his couldn't really stand to pee so I brought him to his regular vets and then to the Animal hospital because he was partially paralyzed in his back right leg. Went the vet did the toe test, his little foot just stayed bent back in the position she had placed it in. He passed with the left one but its not strong either. He was examined at the hospital, and he is staying the night and the neurologist is going to see him in the morning. They are monitored 24hrs there, so if he has a seizure he won't be alone. I am freaking out. The vet at the hospital said he will definitely need surgery, its not an emergency like when a dog is 100% down so they would do it at the beginning of next week. Going to cost me 4,000 dollars of which I have 1,200. Not sure how I am going to raise the 2,800 either which is a major stress on me right now. I just want whats best for him and they surgery is the best for him. I have a thousand thoughts running through my head right now and I feel really sick. I couldn't believe the care he received when we arrived there. They were waiting for us at the front desk and took Theo right away to be examined and then came and spoke to Kayla (my niece) and I to explain everything. I know he will be safe tonight, but this is the first time in 6 years I am without my little guy and I miss him terribly. He really needs all the ray-z he can get now.

Alex's Mom
04-11-2014, 04:35 AM
Oh Kasia!!! This is so scary, isn't it! And hard. But he's exactly where he needs to be right now. There's so much collected IVDD knowledge around here ready and waiting. You did exactly the right thing in getting him in stat. Are they going to do an MRI? Is there any option to go the conservative route? Whatever happens, know that we're all there with you in spirit! Many many :hug99::hug99::hug99: and even more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. We'll be waiting for an update. You might also want to check into Care Credit or whatever it's called. Also ask at the vet's to see if they have any kind of fund you can access. I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Yolanda
04-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Prayers for Theo and hugs for you.

Did you and the vet discussion the option of meds, crate rest and laser therapy as an option? It might help if he is not totally down.

Rae
04-11-2014, 08:48 AM
thinking of you and sweet Theo! As Kim has said so many times, doxies are poorly engineered and I think what you are going through is every long dog momma's nightmare.

:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: to you and Theo!

Lisa
04-11-2014, 09:35 AM
I am so sorry Kasia. Lots and lots of rayz for your little dude. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

He CAN recover from conventional care if surgery is not an option (just the odds are better with surgery). It doesn't make you a horrible dog Mom. It just means more drugs and 100% crate rest for 8 weeks. Part of me wishes I took video of Pixel when he was down and video of him now.

I know how scary and horrible this is. We are here if you need a shoulder to cry on.

lotsadox
04-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Oh, Kasia, I"m so sorry. It's so scary when one of our dogs is down. I"ve been thru this 3 times and it doesn't get easier.

I would ask about using a conservative method just to see what the vet thinks. Neuro are usually focussed on surgery so it might take a vet with a more holistic approach. I have had 2 recover from being completely down with meds and crate rest. They were both older dogs (one 13 and one 15 as I remember) and did very well. It takes lots of patience, but for me it was worth it.

If you do decide to go the surgery route, if Care Credit is available in Canada they might help you.

Whatever you decide, we're with you. Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Lisa
04-11-2014, 10:22 AM
I agree with Patrice. Neuro's make MONEY by doing surgery. I am not saying they don't know what they are doing, or that surgery can't help downed doxies, all I am saying is if you go another option, they don't get paid.

If I could 100% tell you Theo will get better with conventional care, I would (but I can't)! Pixel did. Patrice's dogs did. Pixel was fully down. He failed the toe test - badly. We had to support him when he went out to pee. After 8 weeks of 100% crate rest, Rafi crawled on the grass, while I supported him with a sling to try and get him to walk correctly and use his muscles.

Neither is an easy choice. Neither has guarantees. And even if it works now, it does not mean that he won't go down again in a year, or two or five.

You just need to weigh ALL your options. And I like the idea of talking to a holistic vet.

Kasianni
04-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks you all for your comments and suggestions, you don't know how much it means to me. I don't feel so alone after reading them all. Thank you so so much for being here for us. I just spoke to the neurologist. She did say Theo would need surgery but I explained my situation to her so she is going to make a plan that we can do with meds and strict crate rest. I asked if waiting a week would make him worse and she said no if I did strict crate rest with the meds. She doesn't want to wait months but a week won't hurt and that way I can try to raise the rest of the funds somehow. Theo is wagging his tail and able to stand this morning but he is favoring the right hind leg. Left one isn't as bad he passes the toe test. I am going to meet her at 1 and talk about all this. Theo is coming home today. I've just been preparing his crate, and taking off some clamps and fixing it so it opens from the top, I think its easier to lift him out this way as the door is in the front and it will be harder to get him out that way. For the past 2 weeks, he has been crated, but not in a real crate, in the plastic one I bought that can be made larger or smaller, I posted pics of what it looks like some time ago. Its not good enough because he can walk around in that one where as the metal one he can stand but doesn't have too much room to walk. I'll update in a bit once I have gone to get him and make a plan for him. Thank you all so very much, I don't know what I would do without all of you! Oh I forgot to mention, since Theo was seeing the neurologist, she wants to discuss his seizures with me as well so getting that done too, which is good. On Sunday, it was 5 months without a seizure, she said that is really good! :hug99:

wawailc
04-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Mega :bigrayz::bigrayz: for little Theo! I don't know about IVDD but I do know about sick little doxies, since Jack is still being medicated before surgery. You'll both be in my prayers. :hug99::hug99:

Lisa
04-11-2014, 11:17 AM
We did NSAID (if he is already on a steroid, that is not an option for you), tramadol and Methocarbamol. It worked really well. We did not see any improvement until week 5 or 6, then he got much better much, faster. I also really recommend laser therapy. It will help him heal quicker.

Lots more rayz. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
04-11-2014, 12:05 PM
I agree with Patrice. Neuro's make MONEY by doing surgery. I am not saying they don't know what they are doing, or that surgery can't help downed doxies, all I am saying is if you go another option, they don't get paid.

If I could 100% tell you Theo will get better with conventional care, I would (but I can't)! Pixel did. Patrice's dogs did. Pixel was fully down. He failed the toe test - badly. We had to support him when he went out to pee. After 8 weeks of 100% crate rest, Rafi crawled on the grass, while I supported him with a sling to try and get him to walk correctly and use his muscles.

Neither is an easy choice. Neither has guarantees. And even if it works now, it does not mean that he won't go down again in a year, or two or five.

You just need to weigh ALL your options. And I like the idea of talking to a holistic vet.

My experience has also been that neurosurgeons only know surgery. I worked with my holistic vet on both of mine that didn't have surgery. Bandit was completely down. Bogart was almost. He could barely stand. I'm part of a list called "AbleDogs" that is about dogs with back problems. I've noticed that a lot of the people there have had good results with holistic vets. I think that they aren't as quick to go to surgery as many conventional vets are. But you have to remember that that is what conventional vet schools teach so that's what they know. Holistic vets have usually done advanced studies under another holistic vet as sort of a mentor so they do tend to have a broader base of knowledge.

I"m not saying that surgery is wrong or bad, I'm just throwing out some other options so you know what is out there. :hug99::hug99:

Kasianni
04-11-2014, 12:25 PM
We did NSAID (if he is already on a steroid, that is not an option for you), tramadol and Methocarbamol. It worked really well. We did not see any improvement until week 5 or 6, then he got much better much, faster. I also really recommend laser therapy. It will help him heal quicker.

Lots more rayz. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

He was in such pain when we left I gave him a does of metacam and that is for 24hrs so don't know if they gave him anything during the night, I will check. Thanks for the info. Leaving now to go see the Neurologist.

Rae
04-11-2014, 12:31 PM
by all means keep us posted and we will be sending as many :bigrayz: as we can muster!

oceangirls
04-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Mama S. has at least one or two doxies that have recovered from being completely down.

Angel was about at the same point Theo is and recovered completely (I did meds and ~5 weeks crate rest).

Agree that the surgeon is very unlikely to offer other treatments. Not that that's bad - that's just what they do. So if you opt out, they may not have much encouragement for you :dunno:. But crate rest, meds, and a second opinion from a non-surgeon seems reasonable.

Lots of rayz :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

RustysMom
04-11-2014, 01:17 PM
sending a million healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: & prayers for Theo:hug99:

Lisa
04-11-2014, 01:59 PM
If he is on Metacam, he will need to stay on Metacam. I personally liked it better than steroid (he did Metacam one time and steroid the other). He did not need to pee as much on the Metacam which meant he stayed in his crate.

I think Pixel did Metacam for 4 - 5 weeks, Tramadol for 3 weeks, and Methocarbamol for a week (that is for the pain / muscle spasms). And of course, he had pepcid 1/2 hour before the Metacam.

Rae
04-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Kasi - on the crate thing, I found that it was really handy to have Duchie's stroller handy. I know we have a lot of folks who have been through crate rest with their babies and I think most agree that a stroller (which functions like a crate on wheels) is super-handy...

you can roll him from room to room with you so that he doesn't feel abandoned when he's unable to follow you on his own, and the stroller that I have zips open and closed so that getting a dog in and out is not hard on the dog nor the person.

I had the PetGear one, but there seem to be several choices in a variety of price ranges available online and at PetSmart and PetCo...

Alex's Mom
04-11-2014, 03:20 PM
More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: Kasia. ITA with everyone...I know it's hard to tell without an MRI, but if it's one side only, then he may well be a good candidate for the more conservative treatment. Since Montreal is such a big city, I'd check Kijiji or Craig's List or the BuySell and see if you can pick up a stroller second hand. Suspect it will save both of your sanities! (If that's a word? :rolleyes: ). I'd definitely get a second opinion, esp. if you've gone to Ste. Hyacinthe (sp?)...they're definitely going to want to go the surgery route there cuz that's what they're there for. A lot of vets (not there, mind you) aren't all that familiar, even yet, with IVDD, so a second opinion is a good idea. You're such a great mom, and catch things so quickly! :hug99:

Kasianni
04-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Kasi - on the crate thing, I found that it was really handy to have Duchie's stroller handy. I know we have a lot of folks who have been through crate rest with their babies and I think most agree that a stroller (which functions like a crate on wheels) is super-handy...

you can roll him from room to room with you so that he doesn't feel abandoned when he's unable to follow you on his own, and the stroller that I have zips open and closed so that getting a dog in and out is not hard on the dog nor the person.

I had the PetGear one, but there seem to be several choices in a variety of price ranges available online and at PetSmart and PetCo...

I so agree! I bought one for them a few years ago, its a really nice one and I shall be using it shortly. The one I bought zips up and can close him in completely too or I can leave it open and the back has a zipper to for easy access. Thanks Rae :)

Kasianni
04-11-2014, 05:02 PM
More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: Kasia. ITA with everyone...I know it's hard to tell without an MRI, but if it's one side only, then he may well be a good candidate for the more conservative treatment. Since Montreal is such a big city, I'd check Kijiji or Craig's List or the BuySell and see if you can pick up a stroller second hand. Suspect it will save both of your sanities! (If that's a word? :rolleyes: ). I'd definitely get a second opinion, esp. if you've gone to Ste. Hyacinthe (sp?)...they're definitely going to want to go the surgery route there cuz that's what they're there for. A lot of vets (not there, mind you) aren't all that familiar, even yet, with IVDD, so a second opinion is a good idea. You're such a great mom, and catch things so quickly! :hug99:

I do have a stroller already for me and now I am so glad I purchased it a few years ago. I just got home from the hospital with my baby and he is crashed out in his crate. The neurologist there was so kind and I was surprised that she didn't push the surgery on me. She said that crate rest and meds could help him as well and we will try that for now but I will try and raise the money in case the surgery is a must further down the road. The service I received last night and today was phenomenal, they are so so kind there. Not sure if I got a good deal cost wise. It was $416 for the total bill. That included seeing the vet on emergency last night, Theo being monitored 24hrs, seeing the neurologist today and her exams and tests, and all his meds. I found it quite reasonable but would like to hear feedback from you all. Thanks so much Paula for all your help and tips. :hug99:

Lisa
04-11-2014, 05:08 PM
That's not only reasonable,but a DEAL. And amazing care like that is priceless.......but in this case, still a great deal. I was with my vet for 1/2 hour on Tuesday and the bill was $317.00.

lotsadox
04-11-2014, 05:10 PM
That sounds very reasonable to me. I just looked up Bogart's bill from when we took him to the emergency vet with his back. It was over $600 without them keeping him overnight. That did include the first set of meds.

I'm glad that the neuro was open to a more conservative approach to IVDD. Don't panic if he doesn't seem to be getting better right away. Like Lisa said, it takes a while for them to heal.

Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Rae
04-11-2014, 05:11 PM
My two cents is that it's good that she didn't push to go straight for surgery without trying the less invasive route first. Lots of dogs have recovered successfully with crate rest and anti inflammatories, and I sure hope that Theo does just that.

Kasianni
04-11-2014, 05:21 PM
We are home!! So happy to have my baby home. I put him right into the crate and as I write this, he is sound asleep and looks very comfy! They said he did well overnight, it was our first night apart in 6 years! They said he was well behaved but did bark like a maniac at everyone that walked by his cage, hehe what a surprise!!! I am going to post pics below of the crates I have prepared for him because the neurologist said the black crate that I have for him is perhaps too small, so I made another one for him and am wondering if he has too much room to move around? Let me know what you all think please.
Lisa - I mentioned to her the meds that you mentioned and he was given Pepcid once a day, Tramadol 2 times a day, Gabapentin 3 times a day and I am to start Dexamethasone (sorry I think that is the French spelling for them all don't know what it is in English) only on the 14th as its a steroid and he had metacam yesterday so have to wait till Monday to start that med. She did say that the methocarbamol (sp?) wouldn't help him. So we shall see how it all goes. Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions and kindness, don't know what I would do without it. That goes for everyone as well. :)
I am feeling much better, the ride home with him was so nice, we are finally having nice warm weather and he sat in his car seat on the way home, enjoying the fresh air. I put him right in the smaller crate when I arrived home and not a peep from him, he is sleeping soundly as I write this..I love this little guy so so much, he is so good. I will post pictures below of the crate I prepared and would like to know if you guys think he has too much room to move around? Let me know please...
The black one is seems is too small, (it is longer going the other way, took the pic from the wrong angel) the other one is it too big?
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/kasianni/crates005a_zpsfdbc22bf.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/kasianni/crates007a_zps3acfdd28.jpg

lotsadox
04-11-2014, 06:22 PM
I"m not an expert and mostly used what I had at home, but I think that the black crate looks fine. He can get up and turn around to get comfy but he can't really walk anywhere. The idea is to keep him as quiet as possible while he heals.

Lisa
04-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Total DITTO!

Yolanda
04-11-2014, 08:51 PM
I"m not an expert and mostly used what I had at home, but I think that the black crate looks fine. He can get up and turn around to get comfy but he can't really walk anywhere. The idea is to keep him as quiet as possible while he heals.

In totally agreement the black crate is best. All you want is for him to be able to stand and turn around. Not a lot more room to move around in.

Many hugs and prayer.

LUVMYGUNNER
04-12-2014, 01:04 AM
Prayers for Theo...the adequan series seems to really help Gunner when he has problems...

Kasianni
04-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Theo did really well over night. Had his crate right beside my bed and he slept through the night. I woke up many times to check on him. He was in good spirits this morning and woke up wagging his tail and happy. Gave him his meds, fed him and now his crate is on my work desk, in front of the window and he is enjoying the sun and looking out the window. Not a peep out of him for being crated. He was really wobbly when he went for a pee this morning, pulls at the heart strings doesn't it. So we are on day two of 60, have to take one day at a time because thinking so far ahead makes me dizzy. Please send any available ray-z for my little guy. :)
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/kasianni/crates015a_zps87e460fe.jpg

oceangirls
04-12-2014, 10:19 AM
I used the black one for Angel, and it was perfect. They can see everything through the sides but there's only a limited amount of space to move around in.

I'm glad he is home with mom :cheer3: :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Edit: read wrong the first time and thought they told you to wait 14 days to switch to the steroid :rolleyes:. Angel switched after 3 doses of Metacam due to vomiting and didn't have problems, so if he doesn't seem to be having relief, you might ask about doing it sooner.

lotsadox
04-12-2014, 10:43 AM
I put Bogart (who was not crate trained) next to my bed and moved him around with me in the stroller and it worked great. He was happy and not barking which made me very happy.

Sending continued :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
04-12-2014, 10:45 AM
I used the black one for Angel, and it was perfect. They can see everything through the sides but there's only a limited amount of space to move around in.

I'm glad he is home with mom :cheer3: :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Edit: read wrong the first time and thought they told you to wait 14 days to switch to the steroid :rolleyes:. Angel switched after 3 doses of Metacam due to vomiting and didn't have problems, so if he doesn't seem to be having relief, you might ask about doing it sooner.

I think I will keep him in the black crate as well, he seems to be doing ok. Maybe in 6 weeks I will gradually change him to the bigger one so he has a tad more room to move around. Theo's last dose of Metacam was on Thursday night when he went into the hospital so they are making us wait 3 days to begin the steroids. To be honest, he was wobbly this morning but he seems to be in no pain what so ever. When I lifted him up to take him to pee he didn't cry out. He is very comfortable right now. I did have a question, Theo is taking Pepcid once a day, half a tablet (5mg) He takes Tramadol twice a day, morning and evening but takes Gabapentin 3 times a day. Theo eats 3 small meals a day, every 8 hours so it works out perfectly that at each dose of meds he has food in his tummy. Anyone know how long the effects of the pepcid work should I be giving it in the morning with his first dose of meds, will it still protect his tummy when he takes the Tramadol and Gabapentin at 1am? Not sure how long the effects of the Pepcid work.

lotsadox
04-12-2014, 11:17 AM
I was giving prednisone to Bogart. I gave a 1/2 a pepcid 15 or 20 minutes before each dose as I remember.

oceangirls
04-12-2014, 11:35 AM
The highest risk for GI bleed is from the NSAIDs like Metacam which you're not using, and maybe the steroid which you haven't started yet. Otherwise, you're just trying to prevent stomach upset that could occur with the other meds (also animals/people in a lot of pain and anxiety can form a stress ulcer). If you're going to give it twice a day, just give it every twelve hours so he can build up a concentration in his blood. It does not matter what times you give it if you're giving it around the clock.

Edit: man I canNOT read today :rolleyes:. It still doesn't really matter what time if you're giving it every day.

lotsadox
04-12-2014, 11:37 AM
That's good to know, Kim.

Kasianni
04-12-2014, 12:03 PM
The highest risk for GI bleed is from the NSAIDs like Metacam which you're not using, and maybe the steroid which you haven't started yet. Otherwise, you're just trying to prevent stomach upset that could occur with the other meds (also animals/people in a lot of pain and anxiety can form a stress ulcer). If you're going to give it twice a day, just give it every twelve hours so he can build up a concentration in his blood. It does not matter what times you give it if you're giving it around the clock.

Edit: man I canNOT read today :rolleyes:. It still doesn't really matter what time if you're giving it every day.

When Theo used the Metcam a few weeks ago, when all this stared, after a few days he had diarrhea so the vet said stop using it. Didn't know that Metacam could cause a GI bleed. Thank you for the info about the Pepcid. The neurologist told me to give him 1/2 a Pecid daily. Is it safe to cut that dose in half and give it to him every 12 hours? Is that a better way?

oceangirls
04-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Pepcid lasts long enough to be given once daily.

Kasianni
04-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Pepcid lasts long enough to be given once daily.

Fantastic! Thank-you Kim. :thumbup:

Rae
04-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Mighty handy having a pharmacist in the family!

LexieLuvr
04-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Just seeing this about Theo, I am so sorry! My Jack went down twice, the first time he was not down 100% and recovered with meds and about 8-10 weeks of crate rest, laser treatment and VOM. The second time, a year later, he had to have surgery and again treatment by my holistic vet, because he had surgery in Austin, many miles away from me. It took a good 3 months for him to recover well from surgery, as I took it very slow with his recovery. I think you are doing great. You might want to check Dodgerslist for other ideas. Sending TONS of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for his recovery. And yes, your vet bill is very, very reasonable! Please keep us posted.

bittyup
04-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Healing rayz and hugs for Theo. I am glad he is home with you now. I would definitely go with everyone on this board in trying to less invasive methods first. My Vet does conventional and holistic methods and knowing me he always gives me the holistic options and they may take more time but work very well. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bighug:

Frankie'sMom
04-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Sending healing rayz for Theo. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: Kasianni, you are in the best place for info and encouragement. The wonderful folks here at DLC kept me sane when Frankie had back issues.

I used the same crate for him that you have (the black one) and it was perfect. A very smart person here suggested tying it down on a movers dolly which was great since I could move him around from room to room with me. I used a pet stroller in the beginning to move him around with me but as he started feeling better he wanted it jump out of it which scared me. So, the crate on the dolly was my constant companion which made Frankie happy and a lot calmer.

Hope your sweet boy is better in no time! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
04-12-2014, 11:17 PM
When Jack went down, I couldn't afford a stroller so I tied his crate to a dolly and rolled him around wherever I went. It worked really well. Good luck!

Kasianni
04-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Theo did well overnight. However he hadn't had a bowel movement since Thursday as far as I know, I forgot to ask if he had one Friday when he was there. This morning he started being very vocal to get out of the crate so I gently lifted him out, placed him on the pee pad and he had a big bowel movement. Then he tried again and it was very very soft, almost diarrhea. The first one was dark in color but I don't think darker then normal and the soft one was light in color. I called the hospital and they asked if there was blood in the stool. As far as I can tell there is none. They said he might have diarrhea from all the stress he has gone through since Thursday and from staying the night there and away from me, and they told me to monitor him but keep giving him the meds. I am worried. I can't seem to relax inside, I feel like I am on guard and just waiting for something else to happen. It is not a good feeling at all. Please send Theo some more ray-z.

Lisa
04-13-2014, 11:43 AM
The poop thing is totally normal. Don't stress over that, unless you see blood, it will leave a clear mark on the potty pad.

LexieLuvr
04-13-2014, 12:20 PM
ITA with Lisa! Try not to stress or he will pick it up and stress, too, and that isn't good for him. Always think positive, for his sake, and yours.:hug99::hug99::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
04-13-2014, 12:28 PM
The poop thing is totally normal. Don't stress over that, unless you see blood, it will leave a clear mark on the potty pad.

Ok thanks so much Lisa! I will always call the vet to ask but getting all the info from the one's who have gone through this before and know what to expect just makes me feel so much better.

lotsadox
04-13-2014, 12:42 PM
I agree with, Lisa. My dogs went thru that. Meds and stress can really mess up their digestive system.

Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

bittyup
04-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Lots more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:for Theo.:hug99: Lisa is right. Don't worry about the poop thing. I think is the bodies natural reponse when your back is healing.:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
04-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Today when Theo had his bowel movement, he moved around on the pee pad somewhat to do it and of course he arched his back while going, then moved to another spot to finish. Then he kicked his back feet as if to bury it, but I couldn't stop him he did it the second he finished. He just had his dinner and ate well, however the minute he was done, he turned his back on me and faced the corner of the cage. He did this last week twice when he was in pain (He would turn and face the wall and not look at me and shake) so I think he is in pain again. He is not shaking but I am and I am freaked out again. Not sure what to do. Did him moving around on the pee pad for his bowel movement mess things up again for him? He was doing well, yesterday and today up till I picked him up and put him on the pad for his #2. Not sure what to do. He is taking Tramadol twice a day but I just checked the paper and he can have 1/4 of a tablet up to 3 times a day if needed so I gave him another dose just now with his dinner. Should I call the hospital or just monitor him. I feel sick in my stomach again and I don't know quite what to do. Ugh..this is terrible.

bittyup
04-13-2014, 05:52 PM
I am thinking he was feeling confident enough to try for the bowel movement and he succeeded. It may make him a little sore. Time to rest. I know there are people on the board with more personal experience with this than I am. I know with people, when they hurt their backs can become constipated for days. BIg hugs and prayers and rayz for Mr Theo and hugs for mom too.:hug99::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
04-13-2014, 06:31 PM
I am thinking he was feeling confident enough to try for the bowel movement and he succeeded. It may make him a little sore. Time to rest. I know there are people on the board with more personal experience with this than I am. I know with people, when they hurt their backs can become constipated for days. BIg hugs and prayers and rayz for Mr Theo and hugs for mom too.:hug99::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

I think it did make him a little sore. He is not shaking though and just drank some water, and is relaxing in his crate. I did call the hospital again because I felt that i had ruined all the progress but not catching him in time and stopping him from doing what he did with his back legs. They said if he was in pain that he would be panting and shaking. The vet said to continue what I am doing. Tomorrow we are starting the steroids, which he said would help. I know I need to be calm and around Theo I am very very calm around him and talk to him calmly, but inside, I feel like I am going to go insane with all this...ugh..the minute he turned before to face the corner of his crate, I thought my heart was going to stop. So grateful for all the support here.

Ivan
04-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Gosh, poor Theo. Glad you're in great hands at vet & DLC. Sounds like he's gonna be confined to quarters for a while. Good. Best wishes for a full recovery. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

bittyup
04-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Daily dose of healing rayz:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:

Alex's Mom
04-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Deep breaths, Kasia! :hug99: You got right on this, and I KNOW how scary it is, but he'll be fine. He might also have been shaking due to muscle / nerve weakness. Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for both of you!

Lisa
04-14-2014, 08:16 AM
There will be ups and downs. You can't put a doxie in a cast, so you have to do the next best thing. Crate so the area can heal. That being said, he is going to have to pee and poop and move to get comfortable. You are just trying to minimize the movement as much as possible.

He is peeing and pooping on his own, that in itself is HUGE. And the tail wag is a bonus. Pixel couldn't wag his tail.

Hang in there. It has been years for Pixel and I am still waiting for it to happen again :( That feeling doesn't go away, it minimizes but never leaves you.

lotsadox
04-14-2014, 08:29 AM
There will be ups and downs. You can't put a doxie in a cast, so you have to do the next best thing. Crate so the area can heal. That being said, he is going to have to pee and poop and move to get comfortable. You are just trying to minimize the movement as much as possible.

He is peeing and pooping on his own, that in itself is HUGE. And the tail wag is a bonus. Pixel couldn't wag his tail.

Hang in there. It has been years for Pixel and I am still waiting for it to happen again :( That feeling doesn't go away, it minimizes but never leaves you.

A huge :ditto::ditto:

Kasianni
04-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Theo had a good night but when he got up this morning he was in such pain he wouldn't lay down in his crate. He finally did after an hour and he howled in pain. I had to call my sister because I thought I would have to bring him in again. I guess this is what you mean by ups and downs? After his meds kicked in he finally got comfortable for a few hours. I also started the steroids this morning and when I called the hospital they said that the steroids would help Theo. Up until now he has only been on Tramadol, and Gabapentin. He drank lots of water when in his crate and I just lifted him out onto the pee pad. He stood fine, wagged his tail like crazy and did the biggest pee I have ever seen him do. He filled the whole pee pad! Thanks you all for the comments and ray-z.
Lisa~ I hear you about the "just waiting for it to happen again". Its the same thing for his seizures, its been 5 months and 1 week since his last one and I relax more and more in between them, but I too am just waiting for the next one, it is true, that feeling never leaves...

bittyup
04-14-2014, 04:08 PM
More:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:

LexieLuvr
04-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Try not to stress so much. It gets better with time, really it does! More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

oceangirls
04-14-2014, 09:25 PM
I worked 3 years in pain management. Disclaimer - humans, not dogs. Nonetheless. Tramadol is like a weak narcotic crossed with Prozac. It's a good option for "mild to moderate pain." Gabapentin is for nerve pain. Usually has to be titrated up to really high doses before it does anything. IF it does anything. It has a sedative (sleep) effect. Of note, it was originally an anti-seizure med which might be a nice perk for you and Theo. IMO, steroids are the big guns here. Maybe NSAIDs, but I'd put my money on steroids. Hopefully they will get those started ASAP!!!

Angel was never in terrible pain, but unfortunately, I think a lot of dogs (and owners) do have to go through that. I believe the only correlation between the amount of pain for the dog and the success of healing is in the amount of gray hairs acquired by the owner. Go back to the old IVDD threads and read Lisa's notes on Pixel if you want to see "ups and downs." :shocked::holysheep: But he is doing awesome now.

Lots of rayz for you guys. I'm sorry he had a bad day :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
04-14-2014, 11:33 PM
I worked 3 years in pain management. Disclaimer - humans, not dogs. Nonetheless. Tramadol is like a weak narcotic crossed with Prozac. It's a good option for "mild to moderate pain." Gabapentin is for nerve pain. Usually has to be titrated up to really high doses before it does anything. IF it does anything. It has a sedative (sleep) effect. Of note, it was originally an anti-seizure med which might be a nice perk for you and Theo. IMO, steroids are the big guns here. Maybe NSAIDs, but I'd put my money on steroids. Hopefully they will get those started ASAP!!!

Angel was never in terrible pain, but unfortunately, I think a lot of dogs (and owners) do have to go through that. I believe the only correlation between the amount of pain for the dog and the success of healing is in the amount of gray hairs acquired by the owner. Go back to the old IVDD threads and read Lisa's notes on Pixel if you want to see "ups and downs." :shocked::holysheep: But he is doing awesome now.

Lots of rayz for you guys. I'm sorry he had a bad day :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

I did read that Gabapentin use to be used as a anti seizure med. :) Lets see if it helps. I didn't know that about Tramadol, he surely needed something stronger this morning. The neurologist also said that NSAID's would not help him but that the steroids would. He had the steroid this morning shortly after the episode he had. I am not sure how quickly it works but this evening when my sister came to see how he was doing, she said "this is not the same dog I saw this morning" I too can not believe the difference in him this evening. He is on them for 10 days starting today. Thank you for all the info Kim, appreciate it so much.

Alex's Mom
04-15-2014, 05:06 AM
God the pain thing. I went through that with Maxe, and I will NEVER, as long as I live, forget the sound of a dog literally screaming in pain. Never. And that was in the dark ages. She was on prednisone for a lot of her life after her first episode at age 6. I know what you mean, Kasia, about the waiting for it to happen again. Been there with all my dogs at some point. But all we can do is focus in on the present moment, and take some comfort that if it DOES (and it may well not) happen again, you know what to do. Sending tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:! (And we love Kim :))

bittyup
04-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Tuesday morning rayz for Theo:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:

lotsadox
04-15-2014, 09:33 AM
God the pain thing. I went through that with Maxe, and I will NEVER, as long as I live, forget the sound of a dog literally screaming in pain. Never. And that was in the dark ages. She was on prednisone for a lot of her life after her first episode at age 6. I know what you mean, Kasia, about the waiting for it to happen again. Been there with all my dogs at some point. But all we can do is focus in on the present moment, and take some comfort that if it DOES (and it may well not) happen again, you know what to do. Sending tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:! (And we love Kim :))

Focussing on the present is the best we can do. Bogart was on prednisone for 10 weeks, but at the end of that time, it had worked and he could walk and even run.

Hang in there, Kasia, it will get better. :hug99::hug99:

Kasianni
04-15-2014, 11:10 AM

I know it's a terrible sound, isn't it. :( Sorry you had to go through that with Maxe as well. I do believe Theo is doing well today. When Theo lays down to get comfy he makes these little noises it's so darn cute, I haven't heard them for a while since he has been in pain, but this morning he made his little noises while getting comfy!! Geez did that put a smile on my face. Also, when I took him out of the crate for a pee, and then put him back in, he barked like crazy to protest...I think he is indeed feeling better today.

Kasianni
04-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Focussing on the present is the best we can do. Bogart was on prednisone for 10 weeks, but at the end of that time, it had worked and he could walk and even run.

Hang in there, Kasia, it will get better. :hug99::hug99:

Wow 10 weeks is a long time? So glad to hear that he was up and running afterwards. When Theo walks the little bit I let him when he goes to pee, his walk is much better than on Friday but he is parlayed in his right back leg and sometimes it just hangs back which is hard to see. He's only been on crate rest since Friday so I really hope this works and he gets that leg working again. Theo is on steroids for 10 days, one pill for 3 days then half a pill for 7 days. Hope that is enough time, if not I will ask the neurologist when he is re-evaluated.

lotsadox
04-15-2014, 12:19 PM
It was a long time, but Bogart was 14 at the time so I guess it took longer for him to heal. Considering that the evet said that he would never walk again, I considered it to be well worth the effort.

You'll know if he needs more of the steroids when you wean him off of the ones you have now. Just watch him and see how he does. If he seems okay, then I'd just keep him on crate rest and let him finish healing on his own.

Both of mine had some weakness or loss of feeling or whatever it was and in one back foot for a while. With Bogart it would show up when he sat down sometimes. Or when getting comfortable. His foot would be lagging a bit. With Bandit it was when she walked. I guess it different for all of them. With both of mine, it gradually went away until they were fine. It's a long process, but so worth it.

Keep us updated. :)

Kasianni
04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Theo did well today! No crying due to pain, and was wanting his nyla bone to chew on!! However, he hasn't had a bowel movement since Sunday night. I think he is afraid to go. He did a big bowel movement Sunday and then Sunday night another one but none since...which bothers me, he is eating well and drinking, it has to come out...Please send some :bigrayz: for a poop. :rolleyes:

lotsadox
04-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Sending tons of poop :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

(I could only say that here :rotfl: )

Kasianni
04-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Sending tons of poop :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

(I could only say that here :rotfl: )

Right, as I could only ask here. :rotfl:

LexieLuvr
04-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Adding my poop :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. Don't worry too much about that, tho. Meds can foul up their routine. You could try some pure pumpkin! Its good for intestinal issues in doggies, both kinds.

oceangirls
04-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Lol, Kasia! I posted a thread about that exact same problem for Angel. IVDD forum, circa January 2012. People sent poop rayz. Our vet's office recommended canned food and belly rubs to get things moving :). Everything "came out" very well.

Kasianni
04-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Nothing yet! Other than that, he is doing very well tonight. I am feeding him a bit of canned food, that is what I am hiding his pills in. Forgot all about canned pumpkin, they haven't had that for a while now. Thanks for the all poop ray-z :rotfl:

bittyup
04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
How is Theo today:crossfin::hug99::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Theo seems to be doing ok today. He slept well through the night. We had a little poop this morning, finally. :rotfl: However I think it hurts him because he seems to be uncomfortable afterwards. He's in his crate near the window, laying in the sun right now. Going to get him some canned pumpkin and see if that helps. Thank you for asking, and thanks for all the ray-z everyone. I truly believe they work!

LexieLuvr
04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Good news! More rayz. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Obviously I am doing what Theo needs right now, but I wonder if he thinks he is being punished being crated all day like this. He had so much freedom before, slept with me, went for nice long walks twice a day, had his sister to play with, and now he is in a crate, most of the day. In the evenings, I put a comforter right in front of his crate and then I use my other gates to surround the crate and blanket. I lay down on the rug and let him out on the blanket and we cuddle there for a few hours. He doesn't even try to explore and get up, (just to pee on his pad) he is happy to cuddle with me. I just wonder if he thinks he is being punished. He doesn't know he is taking pills and meds and such, but I know he is aware that his freedom is gone. I hope he doesn't think I am being cruel to him.

Alex's Mom
04-16-2014, 12:46 PM
If he's content, he's good. :hug99:

lotsadox
04-16-2014, 12:52 PM
If he's content, he's good. :hug99:

I agree. Dogs don't over think things like we do. They don't look for motives or reasons (I need to be more like a dog). They tend to take what's there for what it is. Bogart wasn't happy being crated as he was 14 years old and had never been crated before, but it was for the best. He did accept it eventually and did fine with it. He didn't seem to hold it against me. He was still mama's boy. :love98:

LexieLuvr
04-16-2014, 12:57 PM
As stated, if he's content, he's good. More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. Try not to let him move any more than necessary so his spine can heal.

lotsadox
04-16-2014, 01:01 PM
As stated, if he's content, he's good. More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. Try not to let him move any more than necessary so his spine can heal.

Good point, Suzanne. I used to let Bogart out of the crate to sit with me on the floor but only near the end of his crate time and only for a few minutes. It takes time to heal and the less they move around the better chance there is for it to heal without additional injury.

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Good point, Suzanne. I used to let Bogart out of the crate to sit with me on the floor but only near the end of his crate time and only for a few minutes. It takes time to heal and the less they move around the better chance there is for it to heal without additional injury.

I don't let him walk around at all. He comes out and lays down beside me. Doesn't move around, just cuddles and back in his crate. Do you think that would harm him? The neurologist said he could go out 3 times a day and walk to go pee and I am not even doing that. He is going on pee pads right beside his crate.

Ivan
04-16-2014, 01:31 PM
I wonder if he thinks he is being punished being crated all day like this.... I hope he doesn't think I am being cruel to him.

Nah. Theo knows remaining in his den means less pain.

I was surprised how perfectly content Buddy was to remain confined 24/7, if we were nearby & he wasn't missing any action (esp. food). Wheeling him around the house, to be near us, was all he wanted. A good patient.

LexieLuvr
04-16-2014, 03:19 PM
I disagree with your neurologist, and you are doing the right thing by keeping him as quiet as possible, just as you would have to stay immobile if you had back surgery! Most vets are too liberal with movement during recovery, from what I've seen! Sure they may lose a little muscle mass, but that's easy to recover and a minor issue when it comes to possible paralysis, and/or surgery!

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
I disagree with your neurologist, and you are doing the right thing by keeping him as quiet as possible, just as you would have to stay immobile if you had back surgery! Most vets are too liberal with movement during recovery, from what I've seen! Sure they may lose a little muscle mass, but that's easy to recover and a minor issue when it comes to possible paralysis, and/or surgery!

Yes I agree. He's been out of his crate twice today. When he first woke up to go pee and then around 1:30 for the same reason. Other then that, I am crating him. No walks, nothing. I think it harder on me then on Theo. Friday well be one week, how the heck are we going to do 7 more...Ugh.

lotsadox
04-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Yes I agree. He's been out of his crate twice today. When he first woke up to go pee and then around 1:30 for the same reason. Other then that, I am crating him. No walks, nothing. I think it harder on me then on Theo. Friday well be one week, how the heck are we going to do 7 more...Ugh.

I think it is harder on us than it is on them. I wondered the same thing after the first couple weeks with Bogart, but we got thru it. You will too. Just hang in there. We've got your back :)

LexieLuvr
04-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Yes, it is much harder on us than on them! It does get easier, I promise, as time goes by. You will get into a routine, and it does get easier. Hang on there!:)

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 04:59 PM
I think it is harder on us than it is on them. I wondered the same thing after the first couple weeks with Bogart, but we got thru it. You will too. Just hang in there. We've got your back :)

Yes I do believe it is. I just let him out for a pee, he just ate his dinner, had his meds and now he wants out. So hard. I am trying hard to hang in there, don't know what I'd do without you guys! :hug99:

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Yes, it is much harder on us than on them! It does get easier, I promise, as time goes by. You will get into a routine, and it does get easier. Hang on there!:)

I thought I had a routine going but I guess I shouldn't really let him out for a cuddle on the blanket in the evening. Hope it does get easier. Thank-you :)

oceangirls
04-16-2014, 05:56 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. Sure, they need to be kept quiet while healing (especially since steroids and other meds can mask pain). But then again, complete immobility can also contribute to muscle atrophy and deconditioning... and I think it places a lot of pressure on the owner. So you carefully take the dog out to use the bathroom on a leash and sling - BUT THEN A SQUIRREL RUNS BY - and your dog jumps or twists anyway. Some dogs will trigger a disk problem by something as innocent as scratching an ear with a hind leg.

Keep in mind, most dachshund owners do not crate rest for weeks. My vet certainly did not advise it and seemed surprised that I was considering it. One of my friend's doxies had a bad episode and I mentioned crating. I don't think he crated her at all :rolleyes: and she healed fine. We've had doxies on here who got extended crate rest and the absolute best treatment, and still had a recurrence :dunno:.

So what I am saying, is you do your best. Some doxies get extremely distressed in the crate and will thrash around in there... they might do better and be calmer with an x-pen. Some (like Buddy and Angel) are very chill in a crate, so in that case, might as well keep them in there. Sounds like Theo is pretty happy in there, so don't take him out for cuddling just because YOU feel guilty :).

I did wrestle my arm into the crate (probably have permanent wrist damage) so I could pet her. And I missed hugging her, so sometimes when DH would lift her to go to the bathroom, I would hug her while he was holding her :hug99:.

Do your best. You definitely don't want him running or jumping, and that is better ensured in the crate.

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. Sure, they need to be kept quiet while healing (especially since steroids and other meds can mask pain). But then again, complete immobility can also contribute to muscle atrophy and deconditioning... and I think it places a lot of pressure on the owner. So you carefully take the dog out to use the bathroom on a leash and sling - BUT THEN A SQUIRREL RUNS BY - and your dog jumps or twists anyway. Some dogs will trigger a disk problem by something as innocent as scratching an ear with a hind leg.

Keep in mind, most dachshund owners do not crate rest for weeks. My vet certainly did not advise it and seemed surprised that I was considering it. One of my friend's doxies had a bad episode and I mentioned crating. I don't think he crated her at all :rolleyes: and she healed fine. We've had doxies on here who got extended crate rest and the absolute best treatment, and still had a recurrence :dunno:.

So what I am saying, is you do your best. Some doxies get extremely distressed in the crate and will thrash around in there... they might do better and be calmer with an x-pen. Some (like Buddy and Angel) are very chill in a crate, so in that case, might as well keep them in there. Sounds like Theo is pretty happy in there, so don't take him out for cuddling just because YOU feel guilty :).

I did wrestle my arm into the crate (probably have permanent wrist damage) so I could pet her. And I missed hugging her, so sometimes when DH would lift her to go to the bathroom, I would hug her while he was holding her :hug99:.

Do your best. You definitely don't want him running or jumping, and that is better ensured in the crate.

Its hard to know what is right for him. The neurologist said he can walk to go do his business but that I will not do. Yes, he seems fine in the crate, he whined for 2 seconds after his dinner but is now curled up under his blanket and snoozing. He really cried on Monday morning and was in such pain that I was afraid to lift him so I place his pad right in front of the crate and he steps out onto it and pee's and then goes back in. I hope that is ok to do, what do you think? I've also removed the metal clamps on his crate so that it opens from the top so I can fix his blankets and give him some affection and I was lifting him out this way so I could pick him up properly. He hasn't shown any sigh of pain since Monday, and that is when we started the steroids as well. Today was day 3, tomorrow he cuts back to 1/2 a pill for 7 days. Another fear I have, is that he has a seizure during crate rest and then we have to start over from 0 because during his seizures he moves around quite a bit. However, as you mentioned in a previous post he is on the Gabapentin which use to be used as a anti-seizure med so maybe that well prevent one. The longest Theo has gone between seizures is 6 months. We are now 5 months and 10 days without one so I am so worried he will have one. I really hope he doesn't. This is all so stressful. I want to do what is best for him. I suppose I can only take one day at a time, one issue at a time. Thanks Kim, for all your help and information, it is truly appreciated.

oceangirls
04-16-2014, 06:38 PM
A few steps before going to the bathroom might actually be necessary to get things moving (especially #2). Mine use puppy pads, so I didn't have to worry about her trying to chase anything :)

LexieLuvr
04-16-2014, 06:39 PM
I totally agree with Kim, and it's true that some dogs' backs have healed without being crated and rested, but I feel that's a minority. And muscle atrophy, as I mentioned, is a minor concern, in my opinion, compared to healing the spine. You're doing the best you can, and only you know your dog and what he needs. It's true you can do everything right and still not have the desired result, although I think that's a rare situation. Try not to stress too much - it rubs off on him, and he doesn't need the stress. Take a tranquilizer or something :) More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99::hug99::hug99: I think you're doing everything possible, correctly.

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
A few steps before going to the bathroom might actually be necessary to get things moving (especially #2). Mine use puppy pads, so I didn't have to worry about her trying to chase anything :)

Yes, that is what Theo is using too. He steps out and does his business and back into the crate. Finally got a #2 today, first one since Sunday.

Kasianni
04-16-2014, 07:38 PM
I totally agree with Kim, and it's true that some dogs' backs have healed without being crated and rested, but I feel that's a minority. And muscle atrophy, as I mentioned, is a minor concern, in my opinion, compared to healing the spine. You're doing the best you can, and only you know your dog and what he needs. It's true you can do everything right and still not have the desired result, although I think that's a rare situation. Try not to stress too much - it rubs off on him, and he doesn't need the stress. Take a tranquilizer or something :) More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99::hug99::hug99: I think you're doing everything possible, correctly.

:rotfl:a tranquilizer...I wish! I know I write here that I am worried about things and of course its normal to be concerned but I am not so stressed today and I never show it in front of Theo. I talk to him calmly and tell him how good he is and how everything is going to be okay and that I right beside him and he never see's me stressing out about things.

lotsadox
04-16-2014, 10:03 PM
I know how you feel, Kasia. I was the same way. Bogart was more comfortable stepping out of the crate on his own and did tend to flail around when you picked him up so I let him step onto a rug and then picked him up and he did fine. Some vets are even advocating "controlled movement" after a few weeks of crate rest and feel that the dogs do better. It's so hard to know what is best.

Kasianni
04-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Well I think Theo is feeling better today, those poop ray-z worked, and very well I might add. He just had his dinner and is now whining to get out of the crate which he really hasn't done all week, so I am sure he is feeling better. I have to come up with some idea's on how to calm him because I don't want him too stressed as this can bring on a seizure. Any idea's? He doesn't really like kongs so that is out..not quite sure what to give him. Week one is done tomorrow. Geez the days are dragging on...

LexieLuvr
04-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Do you have a good bone he can chew on? Maybe stuff a Kong with yogurt and peanut butter? Yes, sounds like he is feeling better, but don't let him fool you. It's probably the meds kicking in. He will have good days and bad. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

BeauBuddy
04-18-2014, 12:08 AM
I didn't read all the replies but if there's a poop issue, from not moving around much and slowing down the bowels, you can put a teaspoon of canned pumpkin in his food. The extra fiber will soften the stool and make it easier to pass. When you open the can, you can freeze some in an ice cube tray to thaw out later.

I am so sorry that Theo is going through this. big hugs to you.

Kasianni
04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
I didn't read all the replies but if there's a poop issue, from not moving around much and slowing down the bowels, you can put a teaspoon of canned pumpkin in his food. The extra fiber will soften the stool and make it easier to pass. When you open the can, you can freeze some in an ice cube tray to thaw out later.

I am so sorry that Theo is going through this. big hugs to you.

Thank you! No, no more poop issues, Theo is doing well now. I am off to the store today and will pick up some canned pumpkin in case we run into troubles again.

bittyup
04-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Lots of Good Friday rayz for Theo:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:

Kasianni
04-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Just a little update on Theo. What a difference a week makes, for both Theo, and I!! He is doing much much better. Hasn't cried in pain since last Monday (April 14th) the day we started steroids. He has two days left on them and I have a call in to the neurologist to see if he can continue for a bit on them since he is doing so well. No side effects from the meds except a bit of constipation. You were all right! It does get easier as time passes. He is doing so well in the crate, only time he whines is when he has to do #2 and he lets me know. No accidents in the crate at all. This Friday will make 2 weeks. Time seems to be passing slowly but we can do this. I do think its much harder on me than on him but that is getting so much easier. Well, today I tried the toe test, just to see. His left toes spring right back, so much better from last week, and the right leg that is paralyzed is even much better. I bent his little toes back and they came forward rather quickly. Last week they stayed in the position that they were placed in. So we have some progress. Only time he is out of the crate is to do his business and then back in. I think I will leave him in the crate as he doesn't seem to mind. Maybe in a few weeks we will start using the stroller as I am sure once he starts feeling better, I am going to hear about it from him and the stroller will be more practical. Please send him more ray-z and prayers, they are working!!!! :)

Ivan
04-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Excellent news! Theo is healing. Yay! :cheer3::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::cheer3:

BeauBuddy
04-22-2014, 01:39 PM
So HAPPY to read this!!

Lisa
04-22-2014, 02:24 PM
WOOT, great update. Continued rayz. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
04-22-2014, 02:26 PM
That's a great update, Kasia! :cheer3::cheer3: More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: coming your way.

LexieLuvr
04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Awesome news! Time really works for these issues, more often than not! I kept Jack crated a couple of extra weeks, just to be safe, and I'm glad I did. More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:!

Alex's Mom
04-22-2014, 03:56 PM
This totally made my day, Kasia!!! :cheer3::woohoo::cheer3: Sending a ton more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:!

Rae
04-22-2014, 04:19 PM
So glad he's recovering well. It is super-easy to freak slick OUT when something, especially something major, is wrong with our beloved furkids. So glad the conservative treatment is working and that he doesn't mind the crate too much.

oceangirls
04-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Wonderful news. A slow steroid taper is never a bad idea. You can even do every other day for awhile.

Ideally we'd give the exact dose of pain meds and antiinflammatories that decreased the swelling and kept them comfortable, BUT didn't completely take all the pain away, so they would realize they needed to take it easy and not aggravate the injury while it healed. How awesome would it be to figure that out? :)

More rayz :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
04-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Wonderful news. A slow steroid taper is never a bad idea. You can even do every other day for awhile.

Ideally we'd give the exact dose of pain meds and antiinflammatories that decreased the swelling and kept them comfortable, BUT didn't completely take all the pain away, so they would realize they needed to take it easy and not aggravate the injury while it healed. How awesome would it be to figure that out? :)

More rayz :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Theo is taking the Gabapentin 3 times a day for another week and next week, we are going to 2 times a day for a week then down to once a day for a week. Same with the tramadol..he was taking it 3 times a day, and today we started doing two times a day for a week, then once a day for a week. I'll watch him and see how is is feeling. The neurologist called my pharmacy today so I can get the re-fills, was happy I don't have to go all the way to the animal hospital..it is 45 minutes away. Thanks for all the rayz :)

Kasianni
05-02-2014, 09:43 AM
We are done 3 weeks crate rest today..almost half way there. Theo is doing well. I do not see a wobble in his walk anymore, with the little bit of walking he is allowed to do when he goes potty. However he still has a little bit of shaking in his right leg when he is grooming himself and lifting the leg and such. He must be feeling better because the first 2 weeks, he did no grooming at all and now he is doing it again. He is doing well in his crate, the only time he whines is when he needs to do his business, otherwise he is quiet and being such a good boy. I think I will move him to the stroller next week, once we reach the one month mark. My back is killing me lifting his crate from bedroom to living room. I tried the toe test yesterday, toes on both feet spring back now, even on the side he is paralyzed on.
A tad slower then the left side but it springs back now and doesn't stay in place as before. :cheer3:

lotsadox
05-02-2014, 09:51 AM
That's great news, Kasia! It sounds like Theo is doing really well. Three weeks is really not the long to see so much progress. I'll bet his leg gets stronger in the next few weeks.

Alex's Mom
05-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Awesome update!!! :cheer3::cheer3: and a whole bunch more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

RustysMom
05-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Awesome update!!! :cheer3::cheer3: and a whole bunch more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

:ditto::cheer3::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

oceangirls
05-02-2014, 09:23 PM
That sounds great!

Kasianni
05-03-2014, 09:08 PM
So I am a bit freaked out right now. Theo has not shown any signs of pain for almost 3 weeks now. Just a few minutes ago, he was grooming himself and yelped. I was really starting to relax but hearing that, I am all nervous again. Today I started to slowly get him off the Gabapentin, we went from 3 a day to two a day, starting today and also went from 2 pain killers down to 1. (He was getting 1/4 of a Tramadol twice a day now just 1/4) Do you think this is a set back with him? He was doing so well and now I am worried again. :( Has anyone who has gone through this ever experienced this? I hope he is not in pain. He is resting now, but that freaked me out..

Kasianni
05-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Theo is doing well today..we are entering week 4 of crate rest..I am just waiting for him to whine..he doesn't make a sound and it makes me sad. I would expect it, no? He simply lays in his crate, doesn't even want the toys I've offered to him. I thought maybe he didn't want his nyla bone during the first few weeks because he was on lots of meds, but I am slowly lowering the doses now. He only gets the steroids every other day and only 1/4 of a tramadol daily which shall end this week.
Occasionally he sits up and I know he wants out, but he is not being vocal about it..He was just stretched out in his crate, little pink tongue sticking out, so dang cute, wanted to scoop him up and cuddle him. I can not wait for this to be over. Going to move him to the stroller soon, going to be much easier to move him around. I am alone and have to lift him in his crate back and forth daily..Advil is my best friend these days..my poor back!
I had a question too, Theo loves to lay on his back, and I've caught him doing it a few times now in his crate..is this not bad for his back??? I don't want to say "no don't do that" and startle him so he twists and hurts himself..

Lisa
05-05-2014, 01:44 PM
If that is the position he is in, don't worry about it. It is more impact that is super bad (and I agree, startling would not be good)

Glad he is on the mend. Sounds like a wonderful patient! The stroller is awesome!

lotsadox
05-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Bandit was a very good patient and rarely fussed in the crate even though she had not often been crated before her back problems. Bogart, however, was VERY vocal :rolleyes: I actually think it's a good sign that he lays on his back. Mine did not want to lay on their backs for a while after having back issues so maybe that means he's feeling good? IDK, but I agree that startling him would be much worse. I'd just let him be.

The stroller is really a help. I wish I'd known about strollers when Amanda and Bandit had problems. It would have really helped. I did all the lifting with both of them and, ouch, did my back know it. You'll love using the stroller and he probably will, too.

Kasianni
05-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Just a quick update on Theo! We are 5 weeks done today!! Starting week 6 of crate rest! He is doing so well, and I see such a difference in him. Going to get him to do some physio with me as he has lost some muscle in the back legs. He is such a good patient, never complains. So very proud of him. He is off the steroids and Tramadol since last week and only on the Gabapentin now. Going to reduce that next week from twice a day, to once a day. :)

lucerogina
05-16-2014, 09:38 AM
GREAT news!!!!!

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

Yolanda
05-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Sounds like he is doing wonderfully.

RustysMom
05-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the Wonderful update! Happy to hear he is doing well.

lotsadox
05-16-2014, 09:51 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: Great update! You've done such a good job with him! :hug99::hug99::hug99:

oceangirls
05-16-2014, 11:50 AM
That sounds great!

I agree, it sounds fine to let him lie on his back if he is comfortable.

Twisting always worries me... more than jumping, even. But honestly in my opinion is if the disc is going to go, it's going to go - jumping, twisting, sneezing, scratching, running, whatever trigger finally pushes a damaged disc a little too far. We try to minimize the chances when we reasonably can, of course. But short of encasing them in a full-body cast, we cannot 100% prevent injury.

And they do need to move around (once off crate rest, of course), because that is how they develop the support muscles that prevent injury.

:dunno:

Kasianni
05-16-2014, 12:38 PM
That sounds great!

I agree, it sounds fine to let him lie on his back if he is comfortable.

Twisting always worries me... more than jumping, even. But honestly in my opinion is if the disc is going to go, it's going to go - jumping, twisting, sneezing, scratching, running, whatever trigger finally pushes a damaged disc a little too far. We try to minimize the chances when we reasonably can, of course. But short of encasing them in a full-body cast, we cannot 100% prevent injury.

And they do need to move around (once off crate rest, of course), because that is how they develop the support muscles that prevent injury.

:dunno:
I know, the twisting worries me as well. After what we have gone through the first few weeks, I have stopped worrying about "what if's" and have been concentrating more on how to simply prevent incidents the best I can. He loves laying on his back, so I let him. Sprawls out in his crate, legs spread wide open :rolleyes: and sleeps like that, often. :rotfl: He is such a character!! You are right, we can not prevent injury 100% but I am going to do my very best and hope this never happens again.

Alex's Mom
05-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Excellent update!!! And you're right...they still need to be dogs and do dog stuff, within reason. More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:...almost there!

LexieLuvr
05-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Awesome update! You have to let them be dogs, with safety always in mind, as much as possible. Keep up the good work!