PDA

View Full Version : Yay!!

Chris
04-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Tonight we are going to a meeting about the humane society!

We don't have a no kill shelter in our county. There are several groups that foster in their homes. One has a kennel that was built on their property but no real official building/humane society like place. The humane society was formed as a group but hadn't done anything. Now the lady who rescued our baby is the Pres of it! And the whole real live thing is going to become a reality (or at least it is moving in that direction.

We do have a group that does lowcost spay and neuter and educations but this will be the first actual nokill shelter.

We have the highest kill rate shelter in the state (or at least its in the top running). our favorite rescue has rescued and placed about 750 dogs in 3 years, but its a drop in the bucket compared against the kill rate at the county pound. I think the kill rate is over 70% or more (probably a lot higher)

ANyway, i am excited about seeing how we can get involved and help make it a reality. It may be old hat for all of you living in bigger cities with programs already in place but all I can say is :banana: :hearts: :hearts:

Lisa
04-06-2006, 11:29 AM
That SO WONDERFUL Chris!! Good for you :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Please let us know how it goes today. Sending you all the best wishes :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

lotsadox
04-06-2006, 11:40 AM
What great news! The kill rate at our county shelter is 80% :shocked: That's one of the reasons I try to work one day a month at the mall helping to adopt animals from the county shelter. It's so sad that all those sweet dogs are being PTS. :sosad:

Mama S.
04-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Excellent news:appl: :appl: I love it when the :angel7: start showing up and helping our babies!
Sandi

Chris
04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I can't wait. Its their second meeting I think.

I am limited with what i can help with because i can't drive anymore (or at least it will be a looong time before I am able to if it happens again - oh no, i wasnt arrested :) its totally physical.) . if that wasn't the case i would be doing shelter pulls every day. etc. So maybe i can find some way that I can help out more. :)

Alex's Mom
04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
:banana: :banana: Such good news!!! I'm sure there are a lot of ways that you can help, even if its office stuff or making phone calls or whatever. It all needs to be done, and often organizations have a hard time finding people to do the less "glamourous" (not the right word, but you know what I mean) jobs. :appl: Good for you for getting involved!!! :appl:Let us know how it goes!

Frzframe
04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
That's great news!

Our shelter is getting a bigger new building in the very near future which is a lot sooner then we all thought because someone donated $500,000 to the building project and now they have enough to get them though a couple of years too.

It's so great when people step up and help out whatever way the can that includes the "non-drivers" too. :D

Chris
04-06-2006, 02:08 PM
I would ultimately really like to foster.

But we have a problem.

When we had the different strays here....after a day my husband started naming them,etc. He said we would be the worst dog rescue because we would want to keep them all. I am used to it because i grew up in a family that rescued. Of course i miss them when they go, but i can set myself up for the reality that a particular dog is a foster and it will find a family of its own, but he thinks he gets waaaay too attached.

My husband and I rescued a raccoon too but that is another whole story...

Patt
04-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Good for you Chris stepping in to help out. :appl: I hope it all works out :crossfin: & paws that you get a no-kill shelter going. :pray:

Chris
04-07-2006, 11:53 AM
I didn't post when i got back last night because i was wrapped up in Alex and the gum chewing incident.

It was wonderful. The plans are wonderful. They have 10 acres of land to work with and we are very excited about it. DH and I joined as members last night too.

It can't be called a "nokill" shelter, though. Because if they euthanize just one dog because of being rabid or because it is suffering terribly beyond help, then they are not nokill. But in our minds its no kill unless under absolute extreme dire circumstances. The lady who is the president rehabbed a cow that wasn't very used to/fond of people that had a shattered pelvis ..and then had a calf in the meantime to boot...so they are really really are not going to give up on any animal with a shred of a longshot chance.

Last night one of the members brought two carriers with her because she didnt have a chance to go home before the meeting with her running around. And it was really about two miracles. She had a tabby that she picked up because she was set to be euthanized today. Somehow, she had been at animal control 41 days. No one knows how because most cats only last a week if they don't euthanize them immediately. She must have slipped through the cracks. And no one knows how, because of the poor ventilation at AC that she is not severely ill . Because of the way the AC is built, its a death trap. We thought she was lying that she just was sprung because the cat was healthy as anything and her eyes were bright.

And the second carrier was a cat whose owners set her out to have her kittens in the woods that she had managed to rescue. And one kitten was born in the car on the way to the meeting and we got to see the minutes old baby with her hours old two siblings. Their mom was certainly a very lucky cat and they will all have homes soon once the kittens are old enough.

Alex's Mom
04-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow!!! Sounds like this shelter certainly got off onthe right foot with the two kitty rescues!! Let us know how it goes as the plans develop!

Frzframe
04-07-2006, 02:51 PM
That is great news! Keep us updated on the shelters progress. :)

Lisa
04-07-2006, 02:59 PM
That sounds amazing Chris! Thanks for the update. I agree, we will need pictures of the place when it's done.

Good for you for taking such an active part getting it up and running. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: