PDA

View Full Version : Odie is still not well

RustysMom
05-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Odie had his dental Wed, May 7th.

Thursday he was back to being Odie in the evening.

Thursday night he threw up a lot and had diarrhea.

Friday I made an appt at the vet. He had been refusing food and not drinking water. He was severely dehydrated and needed fluids. They also found that his stitches from his tooth removal had come loose (he didn't chew a thing to make that happen) but they said there was nothing they could do and it would heal on its own. They sent us home with meds for diarrhea, a tummy protector and a new pain med for his tooth and a bland diet. They gave us a couple cans of food and also said to try rice and chicken also pumpkin.

Saturday & Sunday, still refusing food, any kind. Turns his face when I offer canned food, rice and chicken, or pumpkin. Drinking water ok. Taking pills with pill pockets ok. Lots of diarrhea.

I made toast sunday night, offered him a bite. He ate it so I made him a piece of toast with a little peanut butter. He ate the whole slice. Up both nights changing bedding.

Today. He had his bedding changed 3 times last night. Tried to feed him, wouldn't touch a thing but his pill pocked with his meds. I decided to stop giving him the pain med last night. He is very tired.

I'm going home on lunch to see how he is :(

Please just keep him in your prayers.

lotsadox
05-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Oh, Angela, I"m so sorry poor Odie isn't doing well. Are you going to talk to the vet today?

Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
05-12-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm so sorry! I know how scared you must be! Definitely call the vet back and keep us posted. More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
05-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Take him back to the vet ASAP. this should have resolved by now, poor boy!! GI problems become a bit of a vicious circle, but I'm guessing he's reacting to the tramadol. But he should be looked at today, because they can become so dehydrated, and that's not a good thing!

Sending tons and tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:. Keep us posted, ok?

Rae
05-12-2014, 11:18 AM
bless his sweet heart! Thinking of you guys... interested to see what the vet thinks, 'cause that's just not right.

Ivan
05-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Poor Odie's system needs a healthy boost. Gosh, whaddyya do for bad reaction to surgery? Time? I trust the vet knows. Rayz for Odie :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Lisa
05-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Lots and lots of rayz for him.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Is there any blood in his poop or vomit? Is he doing any better this afternoon?

Kasianni
05-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Hope Odie feels better soon. I too would get him the the vet asap, that is too long to go without water. Once dehydrated, they can go down hill quite quickly and have a harder time recuperating. Sending lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz:for your sweet boy.

wawailc
05-12-2014, 05:05 PM
How is Odie today? I hope he's feeling much better. :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Yolanda
05-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Take him back to the vet ASAP. this should have resolved by now, poor boy!! GI problems become a bit of a vicious circle, but I'm guessing he's reacting to the tramadol. But he should be looked at today, because they can become so dehydrated, and that's not a good thing!

Sending tons and tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:. Keep us posted, ok?

Yes please get him back to the vets ASAP. Somersetting is not right. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

oceangirls
05-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Does he need the pain pill? I think it might be best to give him nothing at all for 24 hours except water. If he won't take water, they should give fluids. Then maybe start I/D (and NOTHING else). I don't think getting him to eat is priority here. It seems like his GI tract needs time to heal.

I empathize. Cassie and my little boy Tristan both had really bad reactions to anesthesia :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:.

RustysMom
05-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't updated. Since I have been blocked on tapatalk (cant get on with my iphone or ipad) I don't get on as much because I don't go on the computer at home. So I am writing from work.

I didn't take him to the vet. I wanted to go with my gut and give it a few days first before I go running to them. I will take him if I feel I really need too.

I took him off all the prescribed meds other than what he takes daily for seizures.

I think he is feeling better. Yesterday I went home on lunch and I got him to eat and got him to eat again at dinner time. He slept through the night without one accident. I woke up at 3am, probably because I had been the other nights to clean his cage. I looked in his crate and he was sound asleep. I woke him up and took him out anyways. Then he slept sound until we got up at 6:30.

He wouldn't eat breakfast this morning, so I will be going home on lunch to see if I can get him to have a snack then.

Alex's Mom
05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
That's a good update, Angela!! :hug99::hug99: And listening to your gut is a good thing :)...after all, you're there and know him best. Hopefully he's just really tired out from it all, and will eat tonight. And honestly, going without food for a day or two won't hurt him, so long as he's drinking ok. Sending tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:. Will be anxious to hear how it goes at lunch!

LexieLuvr
05-13-2014, 09:16 AM
You know him best and I agree with your decisions, as long as he takes fluids and is beginning to eat again. More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:.

RustysMom
05-13-2014, 09:23 AM
He is drinking water without a problem but the first few days after the dental he didnt. but he is now.

lotsadox
05-13-2014, 09:49 AM
I agree with everyone else, it sounds like he's doing well :cheer3::cheer3: It was probably one of the meds making him feel bad.

You might try giving him a nice meaty snack before bed to help his tummy not get empty during the night and make him feel bad. When you've had an upset stomach, it being really empty can make you feel nauseous. I know it did for me when I was taking antibiotics. I was up in the middle of the night eating crackers. :sosad:

RustysMom
05-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Update.

Went home on lunch. He didnt mess his crate. Ate 1 scrambed egg ;-) Enjoyed laying in the sun outside.

I however, did NOT want to go back to work! LOL!

Thank you every for all your :bigrayz: I really appreciate it :hug99:

lotsadox
05-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Update.

Went home on lunch. He didnt mess his crate. Ate 1 scrambed egg ;-) Enjoyed laying in the sun outside.

I however, did NOT want to go back to work! LOL!

Thank you every for all your :bigrayz: I really appreciate it :hug99:

I'm so glad he's doing better! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

I go home for lunch every day and that's the worst part about that. Nice sunny days I do NOT want to go back to work.

bittyup
05-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Angela I agree with everyone. Your gut is the best. I am well familiar with a dog being over medicated and believe that was the biggest factor in Doxie going down hill. When I took him off the meds(and they finally agreed with me)it was too late. When I was a tech the doctors question was always" is there sneezing,coughing,vomiting or diarrhea?" Glad he is on the mend.Lots more:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bighug:

LexieLuvr
05-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Terrific news!,:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

lucerogina
05-13-2014, 09:53 PM
3 cheers for Odie! (And his smart mama for listening to her hoomom intuition)

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

RustysMom
05-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Odie slept sound through the night!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

This morning, I think he was fighting a seizure. He didnt go right into a full seizure but I could tell he was fighting one :(

lucerogina
05-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Poor boy. I wish I had a magic wand for him. I hate to see the poor guy suffer.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

lotsadox
05-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Poor Odie! Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for him and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you

Alex's Mom
05-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Ah, poor guy...sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. I wonder if with all the tummy/GI upset maybe his meds weren't being absorbed properly? At any rate, tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:.