PDA

View Full Version : Update #73 Home: Rusty went down :(

RustysMom
05-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Rusty was displaying some odd behavior but I thought nothing of it. He always sleeps through the night and never needs to get up to potty. 4:45am he sat at the end of the bed and wouldnt go back to sleep. I took him outside just to see if that was what he needed. He had diarrhea. Then at 6am he got back up. the second he stepped outside he threw up.

About 7am I was just about to get in the shower I heard a huge yelp from the living room, ran out there and he was on his side on the floor. He couldnt get back up. I tried to stand him, nothing. Toe test, nothing. Ran to the E vet.

He has a protruding disk at the base of his tail. He has deep pain sensation in the left leg. She doesn't think he needs surgery at this time because he is trying to use his leg, he can move it but isn't passing the toe test. Pain meds, anti inflammatory & crate rest for now. May need surgery in future if problem doesn't heal & gets worse.

This is our first go at all of this. Thank you DLC for preparing me for this time. I hopped we would never get here with either of the boys, but we are here.

Right now he is so out of it however, he is crying like crazy in his crate. I think he wants out. He hasnt been crated since he was 1yo, now he's 7 1/2. I took him outside just to see if he needed to potty, nothing so I think he just wants out :(

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you!

Ivan
05-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Yikes! Poor Rusty is in pain. Good that you acted fast, and already know the drill towards recovery. Sending lotsa healing rays for your furboy. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

oceangirls
05-19-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm so sorry, Angela. Lots of rayz for you and Rusty :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. As Ivan said, you know the drill from seeing so many of us go through it :sosad:, so I am sure he will do great. Please keep us updated!

RustysMom
05-19-2014, 12:51 PM
He is acting silly. Im sure he is in pain. He hasnt closed his mouth since we got home, tongue hanging out. Wont stop whining. Yet you can tell he is sleepy and cant hardly stay awake. I was supposed to give him the Rimadyl but with food and he is too out of it to want food. he looks miserable.

Alex's Mom
05-19-2014, 01:09 PM
I think you should call the vet and ask if this is normal behaviour. It could be a reaction to the morphine. Just to be sure. Tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:.

lotsadox
05-19-2014, 01:38 PM
I agree with Paula. I would call the vet and ask. I don't have a lot of experience with standard medications, but that doesn't sound good to me at all.

My vet got used to panicky calls from me when one of mine was down. It's not a big deal to them to get those calls

Tanya
05-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Rusty. It's so hard to see our babies go through this. :hug99:

Kasianni
05-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Oh no!!! So sorry to hear about Rusty. I too would call the vet, might be a reaction to the meds. We are on week 6 of crate rest, hang in there, I know what your going through. Lots of :bigrayz:for Rusty. :hug99:

Lisa
05-19-2014, 02:21 PM
That doesn't sound normal to me either.

Just a reminder. 1/2 pepcid 1/2 hour before steroid.

Lots and lots of rayz for Rusty. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Meds and crate rest DO WORK. We are here for you. Hang in there sweetie!

K2
05-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Sending lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:
and
:hug99::hug99::hug99:
And yes, be sure to give him Pepcid(we learned that the hard way!)

lucerogina
05-19-2014, 03:20 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way. :(

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

RustysMom
05-19-2014, 03:31 PM
was just at the vet with Odie (Rabies shot time) Asked the vet about Rusty. I have to give him the Rimadyl but I cannot get him to eat, anything! and it is supposed to be taken with food. How often should I attempt to take him out to potty? I dont even know if he can potty on his own :(

Ivan
05-19-2014, 04:16 PM
A doxie who won't eat? Yikes! Hmm.. Will he drink chicken broth? Maybe dissolve the pill in chicken broth, if he's willing to drink it? I'm not a vet, but I'm surprised that your vet chose Rimadyl over Predisolone.

As for potty, I'd stick to Rusty's usual schedule. Did they show you how to express his bladder? If he no longer has any bowel control, then you must help him eliminate. Later on, when he regains it then you can let him take over. Meanwhile washable crib liners were a big help for us.

Angela, are you saying this was a side-effect of getting a rabies shot? Kinda like Pogo's bad reaction last month? Hmmm.

Kasianni
05-19-2014, 04:26 PM
According to Theo's neurologist..it's not so much the pain pills that need to be given with food but the steroids. Also as everyone else has mentioned, really important to give him the Pepcid half hour prior to the anti-inflammatory. (steroid) I get up in the morning, give Theo 1/2 a Pepcid, take him to do his business and stretch a bit..then I feed him his breakfast and with that he got the steroid and pain killers. (He's not on either anymore) Once you get into a routine things will be better. He is taking the pain killers once a day or more often? Theo was on Tramadol (1/4 of a pill, each time not a full one) 3 times a day at first, then down to twice a day, then once a day. You only need the Pepcid once a day, in the morning. About the peeing and such..how often did he go before, do you know? For the first 2 weeks, I kept a pee pad in his crate with him but he never had an accident so I took it out..If he can hold it during the night, then I'd say take him out every 4-5 hours if you can. Really depends on the dog and how much water he is drinking. He might drink more with the steroids. I give him water every hour and take him out to pee every 4-5 hours. Works well for us. If Rusty can not potty on his own, do you know how to express him? I think someone posted a video here on how to do it. Stick the pill in some food that you know he likes, try a piece of cheese, anything you know he likes. Theo eats DD (kibble form) as food but I've been sticking his pills in a chunk of the canned DD and he gobbles it up with no issues. You have to try a few different things at first until you find something he will eat. Theo has a pillow in his crate (I'm using those black metal crates) I have a blanket covering the pillow and then he has his blanket on top of him when he sleeps. He is set up rather well. I didn't want to just put him on the hard plastic that is on the bottom of the crate as he was in a lot of pain and is much more comfortable on the pillow.

LexieLuvr
05-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Ppoor Rusty, and poor you! I'm so sorry. Yes, do call the vet. Please keep us posted! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Lisa
05-19-2014, 06:34 PM
If he is not eating, bring him to the vet and get them to give him a shot of the drugs. He has to have it TONIGHT. seriously, it is what reduces the swelling and totally required.

I know the fear, stress and guilt, Angela, THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. So if you are thinking it is...it isn't. As Kim has said, doxies are not engineered well.

All you can do is focus on his recovery and then long term management. He will always be an IVDD dog. As will Pixel and Pogo and Jax, and Theo and Laika and a whole bunch of other doxies on the DLC.....and they are all doing well, some with surgery, some with just crate rest, but they are ALL doing well now.

If you need me to call you, PM me your phone number. You will get through this. ((hugs)).

But as of right this second. Get back to the vet, if he is not eating, and get a shot. Call them, otherwise go to the e-vet. He has to get it into him.

lotsadox
05-19-2014, 06:53 PM
If he is not eating, bring him to the vet and get them to give him a shot of the drugs. He has to have it TONIGHT. seriously, it is what reduces the swelling and totally required.

I know the fear, stress and guilt, Angela, THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. So if you are thinking it is...it isn't. As Kim has said, doxies are not engineered well.

All you can do is focus on his recovery and then long term management. He will always be an IVDD dog. As will Pixel and Pogo and Jax, and Theo and Laika and a whole bunch of other doxies on the DLC.....and they are all doing well, some with surgery, some with just crate rest, but they are ALL doing well now.

If you need me to call you, PM me your phone number. You will get through this. ((hugs)).

But as of right this second. Get back to the vet if he is not eating and get a shot. Call them, otherwise go to the e-vet. He has to get it into him.

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

BeauBuddy
05-19-2014, 07:10 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this! Big hugs to both of you.

LUVMYGUNNER
05-19-2014, 11:50 PM
Can you cook a hot dog, then cut it into small pieces and then stick the pill in it...or wrap the pill in a small piece of cheese...

Alex's Mom
05-20-2014, 05:31 AM
How is he doing today, Angela? Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:!

Lisa
05-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Update please!! I have been thinking of you all night. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

RustysMom
05-20-2014, 07:11 AM
Rusty didn't sleep well last night he tossed and turned a lot. When I got him up this morning, he was wagging his tail :-)

I still can't get him to eat anything however, I'm giving his pills either way. I've tried everything (Odie all over again) rice & boiled chicken. The vet recommended canned dog food, cheese just because it's his favorite and I thought maybe he might take his pills with it, nope.

He is drinking water.

Took him outside. He still hasn't peed since yesterday morning before he went down. But he has diarrhea. :-(

I will be coming home on lunch.

Lisa
05-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Poor dude! Glad he is drinking water and the tail wag is an awesome sign!!

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

RustysMom
05-20-2014, 08:07 AM
He just tinkled on his own outside!

lotsadox
05-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Oh, good! I've been hoping the poor little dude would be doing better today.

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Rae
05-20-2014, 09:27 AM
thinking of you guys and sending big :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and many, many :hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99:

LexieLuvr
05-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Checking in often, more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: Glad he peed and wagged his tail! :cheer3:

RustysMom
05-20-2014, 10:13 AM
we have a great vet! they just called to check in on Rusty. I told her that he still wont eat anything. I understand why he might not have yesterday because he was all drugged up but today he wouldnt eat this morning. He never liked eating in the morning anyways so when I go home on lunch I will try to offer him something again. The vet asked that I call if he doesnt eat anything at lunch. we have a follow up appointment thursday too.

Alex's Mom
05-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Overall, a good update!!! It's so hard to get pills into a dog who won't eat...especially when you're trying not to jar them with wrestling them in. :) I think Lisa is right...they may need to use an injectable form of the steroid til he's feeling better enough to want to eat. Good vets!!!!! more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:!

lotsadox
05-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the update, Angela. I"m so glad your vet is checking in with you. It is very hard to get pills down a dog that won't eat.

I don't know if you can do this with standard meds, but with the supplements I have crushed them up (or in the case of capsules opened them), mixed it with water the syringed it down their throat. It's worked really well when I had to get pills down them and they wouldn't eat. Ask your vet if it's okay to crush the pills or open the capsules.

Kasianni
05-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the update, was checking all night too. Glad he did a tinkle on his own, was worried when you said he hadn't gone since yesterday. Wagging his tail, such a good thing!!! Did you try the canned food for the pills? That's how I am doing it with Theo and it is working well. Thinking of you and Rusty. Sending lots of :bigrayz:.

RustysMom
05-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Went home on lunch and here is our update: his personality is back a little bit. he's not all out of it like he was yesterday. The soft treat I tried to give him this morning was still in his crate. Once he saw me he scarfed it down. So while I was waiting for my pizza bagel to bake, I grabbed some cheese cubes to eat and he perked up his ears so I offered him one, he about took my finger off! he was hungry! so I got out the canned A/D (?) and he ate a couple spoonfuls and a tiny bite of pizza. I dont think I will have a problem this evening giving him his pills now that he is showing he wants to eat.

Lisa
05-20-2014, 01:16 PM
WOOT, WOOT. Don't forget the pepcid. It will help protect his tummy from the steriods, thus keep his appetite, so you can keep giving him the drugs (a circle, but a good one :) )

Ivan
05-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Excellent that he's feeling better, and has bowel control, an appetite, and can wag his tail. Yipee! He won't need Pepcid if he's on Rimadyl instead of steroids.

lotsadox
05-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Woohoo! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: I'm so glad he's eating and perking up. That is such a good sign. Now you can start getting the meds in him so they can work :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Yolanda
05-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Seem like he is doign very well. Keep up the progress fellow.:cheer3::cheer3:

BeauBuddy
05-20-2014, 05:16 PM
I am sorry he's going through this but it's looking hopeful.
My best wishes to both of you and hope to see continued improvements.

LexieLuvr
05-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Awesome news!!!

lucerogina
05-20-2014, 05:55 PM
That is fantastic news. I told Elliott and he gave rusty a wag of his tail. :) Sending lots of love from the Lucero house in TX.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

Rae
05-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Rimadyl is good, good stuff. Gave Duchie a lot of relief and quality of life.

SO glad Wusty is feeling better and hope he continues to improve. Savannah says to just send whatever he doesn't want to us and she will eat it. She's on a diet and thinks she is starving.

Lisa
05-21-2014, 10:03 AM
How is Rusty doing today?

RustysMom
05-21-2014, 10:45 AM
how does one keep puppy from poopin all over himself !?! :( he is doing good, eating & drinking, taking pills good. Hasnt forgotten how to bark :-/ LOL! slept wonderfully in his wagon next to the bed last night. The poor boy still has diarrhea. And when we go out to go potty, he goes all over his behind and feet. I guess theres nothing that we can do, but clean him up. I feel so bad. We have our check up tomorrow with our actual vet. Our vet has already called to check in on him today. Love that!

This morning when we went outside to potty I held his bum up and placed his back feet on the ground. he held himself up for a few seconds :)

Lisa
05-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Ah, the liquid pooping....seriously, it is a case of be happy he can poop on his own and you just deal with the mess :sosad:

We went through a lot of baby wipes. I know you know this, but just for other that may read this down the road. Do NOT bathe him. It's not the bath, you can't risk him rolling afterward. 8 weeks, no bath.

It sounds like he is getting better and better every day, which is awesome!!! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

RustysMom
05-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks Lisa I just wanted to see if there's any other way to make it easier on him I don't mind cleaning him up. Have lots of wipes ready :-) I do know not to give him a bath however he had gotten so messy on his rear yesterday that I did put him in the kitchen sink and just hosed little rear off and wiped down but that was all. he's doing a little bit better I came home for lunch today he wouldn't eat but will try again this afternoon.

lotsadox
05-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Its slow process, Angela, but it sounds like he IS progressing which is the main thing. Mine didntt have much trouble with liquid poop (ewwwwww) which I am thankful for. As I remember Bogart had a bit and I did like Lisa did. I used lots of wipes. Rinsing his butt in the sink won't hurt as long as you dry him and don't let him try to roll afterwards.

Every dog I've had has gone crazy after his bath and had to go roll somewhere even if it was just on the carpet :conf4:

RustysMom
05-21-2014, 01:47 PM
that was Rustys favorite thing to do when getting a bath was rolling around. But I only sprayed his tush off and wiped it dry. He sat quietly in his crate after.

I have a very strange, but this is good, dog. He knows his limits. He knows when he is injured or sick. He stops being the dog he is to take care of himself.

The last time he was down for a pulled neck muscle, he would never ever use the ramp to the couch before his injury. After healing he used nothing but the ramp and even the 2 steps to going out the back door, he waited, without being taught or told, to be taken down or back up. He's a smart cookie. This dog has taught himself everything he knows. I think he is a human in dog clothing LOL!

I love him so much

lotsadox
05-21-2014, 02:24 PM
that was Rustys favorite thing to do when getting a bath was rolling around. But I only sprayed his tush off and wiped it dry. He sat quietly in his crate after.

I have a very strange, but this is good, dog. He knows his limits. He knows when he is injured or sick. He stops being the dog he is to take care of himself.

The last time he was down for a pulled neck muscle, he would never ever use the ramp to the couch before his injury. After healing he used nothing but the ramp and even the 2 steps to going out the back door, he waited, without being taught or told, to be taken down or back up. He's a smart cookie. This dog has taught himself everything he knows. I think he is a human in dog clothing LOL!

I love him so much

Awwww, sweet boy. With a great mom :hug99::hug99::hug99:

RustysMom
05-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Rusty is being a brat this evening. He's really tired of being crated LOL! See photo in The Hot Dog.

Sadly he is having a few bad potty issues this evening.

When I was carrying him back in from outside he pulled his legs up. I pinched between his toes to see and he flinched each foot.

Really can't wait for our follow up tomorrow with our vet.

lotsadox
05-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Oooh, that sounds good, Angela! And so soon. I'll be checking for an update tomorrow :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin:

RustysMom
05-21-2014, 07:55 PM
I know he won't be walking again overnight (just like how I can loose weight overnight LOL) and this will still take time and lots of crate rest. I just hope & pray he heals on his own and does walk again soon.

oceangirls
05-21-2014, 09:16 PM

Wow. I cannot even imagine. My girls have about as much common sense as a grape. They are impulsive, reckless, oh - and competitive :rolleyes:. Also, they believe they can fly. They aren't wild all the time. Usually they're pretty chill. But if something exciting happens, forget it.

Glad he is doing better :).

:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LUVMYGUNNER
05-21-2014, 10:43 PM
If you go to Walmart...in the adult section where diapers are..they have the best wipes...I used them when I took care of my mom...you get 48 for $2.65...they are much thicker and bigger than the regular wipes...when Gunner had surgery...I covered his crate pad with a plastic garbage bag and then put a pillow case on top of it...also you could lay a pee pee pad on top of that...makes cleaning up a lot easier and faster...can you give him pumpkin???

SaxLady
05-21-2014, 11:26 PM
You are a wonderful mom! See how he's improving! Prayers and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for both of you.

RustysMom
05-22-2014, 09:50 AM
working on 3 hr's sleep this morning :(

Rusty was having non stop diarrhea from 11-12pm. Some times it was poo, then watered down poo and sometimes what looked like watered down blood. Woke up again at 3am going again. Slept in living room, he finally slept. Woke up for work, more diarrhea :(

We have our appointment at 4:30 today.

Yawn....

Lisa
05-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Bad about the tummy :( Hopefully they can sort him out. Yay about the feeling in his toes. That is actually awesome!!!

LexieLuvr
05-22-2014, 10:37 AM
So sorry about his tummy issues! Do let us know what the vet says. I was soooo lucky when Jack had his back surgery!

RustysMom
05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
on my way home on lunch to check on him.

I really hope he didn't mess his crate. It just breaks my heart :(

I will be sure to update after our appointment this afternoon. If you dont hear from me, I will be sure to post tomorrow morning.

Kasianni
05-22-2014, 12:32 PM
working on 3 hr's sleep this morning :(

Rusty was having non stop diarrhea from 11-12pm. Some times it was poo, then watered down poo and sometimes what looked like watered down blood. Woke up again at 3am going again. Slept in living room, he finally slept. Woke up for work, more diarrhea :(

We have our appointment at 4:30 today.

Yawn....

Know the feeling of working on 3 hrs sleep, Theo was up most of the night tossing and turning in his crate. I finally had enough and brought him into the living room, set up the x-pen, and slept on the floor with him in there! :rolleyes: He slept like a little baby after that, I, not so much. So sorry to hear about the tummy issues with Rusty on top of everything else. Not good if he had watered down blood in the mix. He's tummy must really be hurting. Are you giving him pepcid with all the meds? I hope all goes well at the vets and they can give him some much needed relief with the tummy issues.

Yolanda
05-28-2014, 09:02 AM
You posted on FB about a PVC cart and wondered if your hubby could make one.

Before you even consider buying a cart check with me. I have three Eddies that was donated to me for people to use. Just go to Eddies Wheels and look how to measure then let me know.

Continued prayers for a recovery,

RustysMom
05-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Thank you again Yo :hug99:

ok ya'll!!!

I just got the call. Rusty can come home today and.............. He has feeling in his toes!!! more in his right leg than his left but he yelps and tries to bite them when they pinch for feeling. I am literately in tears at my desk right now at work. I cant wait to get out of here and go get my baby.

:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Lisa
05-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Ang, if he has feeling, he might not even need a cart. I am crossing everything that he blows those statistics (on chances of walking again) out of the water. :crossfin: :crossfin: :crossfin:

He has a 6 week healing process a head of him. It's a long, painful (noisy) road, but you and him will get through it.

Have them show you how to do his exercises and have Brian video it. Then you do it while they are watching to make sure you are doing them correctly. When we were doing Pogo's bicycle moves, they showed us exactly when to pinch is pads to simulate him touching down on earth.

Alex's Mom
05-28-2014, 10:21 AM
BEST NEWS EVER!!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

In tears here too, sweetie!! Of joy :) :hug99::hug99:

RustysMom
05-28-2014, 10:22 AM
sorry..... I have to jump for joy again

:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

lotsadox
05-28-2014, 11:48 AM
sorry..... I have to jump for joy again

:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Never be sorry about jumping for joy about a doxie coming home (and doing well). We're all jumping with you :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

LexieLuvr
05-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Indeed we are!:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

bittyup
05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::c heer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:I would like to join in the jumping. This is such wonderful news.:cheer3:

K2
05-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Great news!!! Keeping everything crossed and sending mega :bigrayz:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustysMom
05-28-2014, 08:15 PM
He's Home!!!!

He's sleepy!!!!

I will post more tomorrow :-) I promise!

BeauBuddy
05-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Awesome! doing a happy dance!!
Hugs and kisses to the brave little man.

lucerogina
05-28-2014, 10:39 PM
How wienderful!!! So happy to hear good news!

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

lotsadox
05-28-2014, 10:52 PM
I"m so glad he's home! More :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

bittyup
05-29-2014, 06:56 AM
Fantastic news! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::hug99:

RustysMom
05-29-2014, 08:54 AM
5/28/14

When we came home from picking up Rusty, we got him settled in his crate. He is super sleepy. Once in his crate, he drank a lot of water, like he hasn't had any in a while. I believe he hasn't.

I got him to eat a little dinner.

I attempted to take him outside. I used a winter scarf as a sling to hold him up. While wandering (he was all over the yard!) he lowered himself, I thought it was me! Like I lowered the sling on him but I didn't! he squatted and peed! I saw it come out! A full pee! On his own!!!!

The we wandered to the other side of the yard and he pooped a huge solid poo! They told me he hadn't gone in 72 hrs.

I knew he would thrive better at home.

We have to do exercises 2 times a day.

We go back in 2 weeks to get the staples out and see where we are with his recovery.

I pray he continues to get better every day.

5/29/14 This morning

Rusty squatted and peed on his own outside this morning!!!! he cant stand up with his back legs but while holding him up with the sling, he stopped and attempted to squat, I lowered him and he peed!

We did our bicycle exercise, 10 reps per leg 2 times a day. I placed his feet in a stand up position and he held it there for a few.

One thing Im a bit concerned about, he keeps licking his lips or smacking his chomps in a way. Maybe his mouth is dry but he has water available. He is also couching and hacking like he's trying to get something up.

Gosh I wish I could use tapatalk. I will go upload the photos I got onto photobucket and post them in a few.

RustysMom
05-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Ride home. He eventually fell asleep & was twitching the whole time having dreams.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/star2392/10365839_10152895347406040_5011082578450418336_n_z ps15ab0282.jpg

We had to make a quick stop to pick us up some dinner

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/star2392/1526776_10152895442851040_4306658568230416859_n_zp s7dd09c73.jpg

Sound Asleep at bed time. Was out all night.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/star2392/10374017_10152895890776040_1730324037676542431_n_z pse1b37dc5.jpg

This morning 5/29/14. Looking for the right spot to potty.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/star2392/1681536-poster-1280sun_zps02b14b42.jpg

Alex's Mom
05-29-2014, 09:35 AM
these pics make my heart happy.....but not as happy as the hearts (both 2 and 4-footed) in the Bovair house, I bet!!:love98::love98::love98::hug99:

Yolanda
05-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Wonderful pictures and it looks like he is really trying. :love98::love98:

lotsadox
05-29-2014, 09:40 AM
It sounds like he's really doing well. I'm so glad he's home! :cheer3::cheer3:

Karen
05-29-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm here sitting on the vets office With my cat smiling ear to ear! So glad he is doing really well!

LexieLuvr
05-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Awesome update! Peeing and pooping by himself is HUGE! He probably coughs and hacks because his throat was irritated from the endotrachial tube used during surgery and that should go away in time. Jack had that problem after a dental procedure and it cleared up. Use a harness as well as a sling because he may try to walk out of his sling, like Jack did, to chase a bug , and scared me to death! His incision looks like Jack's did. Awesome update! More healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. It would be nice too keep the vet posted, too.

RustysMom
05-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Awesome update! Peeing and pooping by himself is HUGE! He probably coughs and hacks because his throat was irritated from the endotrachial tube used during surgery and that should go away in time. Jack had that problem after a dental procedure and it cleared up. Use a harness as well as a sling because he may try to walk out of his sling, like Jack did, to chase a bug , and scared me to death! His incision looks like Jack's did. Awesome update! More healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. It would be nice too keep the vet posted, too.

The only harness we have right now is the hug a dog and it touches his incision so thats why were not using it. He is really slow walking right now.

Do you think his throat could still be bothered one week out of surgery? I guess it could. Im hoping its not kennel cough or something

Thank you!

lotsadox
05-29-2014, 10:51 AM

Good point! They do put a tube down their throat during surgery and that could be it.

There are figure 8 harnesses at PetSmart that are easy to use and wouldn't touch the incision. I used one on Bogart when he was on crate rest just because it was easy to get on and off.

They don't show the one I have on their websitte but something like this would probably work.

http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5133574_main_t300x300.jpg

RustysMom
05-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Good point! They do put a tube down their throat during surgery and that could be it.

There are figure 8 harnesses at PetSmart that are easy to use and wouldn't touch the incision. I used one on Bogart when he was on crate rest just because it was easy to get on and off.

They don't show the one I have on their websitte but something like this would probably work.

http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5133574_main_t300x300.jpg

I had a fig 8 one. I think I donated it to the shelter. I will have to look, maybe I didn't!

LexieLuvr
05-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Yes, Jack's harness touched his incision, too, but I added a little padding. Yes he might cough for weeks so don't worry too much. You might mention it to the vet next visit.

Ivan
05-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Excellent that he's home, and with mama, his best nurse. Superb that he can squat, and has bowel controls. Yay! That means his back-end and his legs are starting to work. He'll be bunny hopping all over the place, pretty soon. Got an ice pack? It helped me and also Buddy.

BTW, the yawning & lip-licks are classic doggie "calming signals". Rusty is trying to tell you to calm down & don't stress. Relax, mommy.

RustysMom
05-29-2014, 01:00 PM
were not stressed now that he is home. Everything is going wonderfully and were happy he is home.:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Kasianni
05-29-2014, 02:15 PM
He could very well be coughing from the tube they had down his throat, but keep an eye on it, could be kennel cough as well, he was at the hospital for a few days. Theo had it after being at the vets for a few days when he was treated for the Parvo virus. So you know, the cough sounds similar to the honking sound that ducks make.

bittyup
05-30-2014, 01:17 AM
This is so exciting. It is good to see him happy at home. Continued payers and rayz for a full recovery. The lip smacking could be a side effect of the anesthesia or meds. He was probably liking ice at the hospital. The coughing may be a irritation from his trach tube during anesthesia. It usually clears up by itself but if he continues maybe check with the Vet. Sounds like they did a wonderful job with Rusty. Lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

RustysMom
06-02-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry everyone that I haven't sent in an update in a few days :( I suck! LOL!

He's eating!!!!

He's going potty on his own (#1 & #2)

He's wagging his tail!!!!

Hes getting cranky in his crate!!! :rolleyes:

Over all, everything is going great. Not walking at this time but he is a happy boy. I have done exercises where I place his feet in a standing position and he stands for a second or two before he falls over. Progress!

Alex's Mom
06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Great update!!! I have no doubt that he'll walk again :hug99: and a few more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Awesome progress!:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: Keep it up, slow and easy. You're doing great!

Karen
06-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Wow! That is awesome! I'm so happy for you :)

lucerogina
06-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Wonderful news!!!!

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

lotsadox
06-02-2014, 09:43 PM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: Great update! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

RustysMom
06-04-2014, 03:55 PM
For those not on Facebook.

Rusty can hold himself in a standing position for a few seconds (still cannot walk). Here he was the other day looking outside the gate. As you can see, I am not holding him up.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/star2392/10440819_10152907199481040_8757564615009845522_n_z psa2b0b249.jpg

Here he was this morning after doing leg exercises, just had to share, he is so cute :rolleyes:

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/star2392/10445461_10152913347476040_4027152354998985775_n_z pse8e51d8c.jpg

Lisa
06-04-2014, 04:18 PM
My money is on him walking again, btw. I say week 5 he takes his first steps. And they you will be in so much trouble :) You will have to sling and harness to slow him down.

RustysMom
06-04-2014, 04:21 PM
LOL! I already have to sling and harness because he wants to run a marathon around the back yard. He's giving me a workout! ;-)

LexieLuvr
06-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Great pics! I, too, believe he will walk soon, but do not rush him. The slower the better. You do not want a relapse!:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Karen
06-04-2014, 05:03 PM
He is just so sleek and gorgeous!! Really glad to hear the great update. What is the facebook page?

Ivan
06-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Excellent update! Rusty looks so majestic in that sphinx like photo. Nice!

Fwiw, Rusty's progress so far happens to closely match Buddy's (per http://doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=34133 ). So I've been comparing and, if anything, Rusty is recovering a weensy bit faster. Gotta like that, eh? Do you have an underwater treadmill PT session scheduled for after the staples come out next week?

By our measure, Rusty is about to go bunny-hopping all over creation, starting in 3, 2, 1...

lotsadox
06-04-2014, 05:34 PM
I agree with Lisa. I'm betting he's walking again in a few weeks.

BTW, he looks gorgeous in the pic :love98:

lotsadox
06-10-2014, 06:34 PM
How is the Rustoman doing? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

LexieLuvr
06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Good question. Update, please?