PDA

View Full Version : Rayz and prayers for Rusty

Lisa
05-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Angela just posted that Rusty is going in for surgery. Please send all the rayz and prayers the DLC can muster for her little guy.

Thinking of you BOTH, Angela. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

:hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99::hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

oceangirls
05-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Well, crap :sosad:.

Lots and lots of rayz from me and the girls :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
05-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Oh no!!! Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz: for Rusty.

LexieLuvr
05-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Oh, no! I hate to hear that! Please keep us posted! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

lucerogina
05-22-2014, 07:48 PM
I access tapatalk from my phone so I don't have the option to send big rays so instead I will say a prayer and send well wishes, hugs and kisses. Please keep us posted with any news about sweet rusty and Angela.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

BeauBuddy
05-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Oh noooo...
Our best wishes go to them during this difficult time.
Rusty, we are rooting for you!

Kasianni
05-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Any news on Rusty yet??

bittyup
05-22-2014, 10:02 PM
:bighug::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:Lots of prayers for Mr. Rusty. Please keep us posted.:bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99:

lotsadox
05-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Crap! I logged in just to check on him. I was hoping for a better update. Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Rileybugg
05-23-2014, 02:25 AM
Many many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Lisa
05-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Angela posted.....

I feel sick....

Got the call about Rusty's MRI (about an hr ago) His spine is worse then they thought. He has multiple disks that are deteriorating. There are only 2 options.

1. Surgery. However due to what they found, he is given a 10-30% chance of recovery & walking again. Meaning, he still may never walk with surgery.

2. Let him go.

He's going to have surgery and we will go from there.

He needs more rayz guys. Come on Rusty. These are just stats, you can do this! :crossfin:

Alex's Mom
05-23-2014, 06:58 AM
This just sucks. Big time. Tons and tons and TONS of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:. Anxiously waiting for an update... holding you all close in my heart.

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Thank you Lisa for posting!!!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers & rayz

:hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99:

I got a call at 1 am this morning.

Rusty did well with the surgery. They removed all the bad disk material. They were going to call me in 8 hrs for another update.

Im still waiting. If I dont hear from them I will call soon.

What makes me mad. Monday when he went down, we went to the emergency vet because our vet wasn't open for 2 more hours. They said he was still showing feeling and that she felt he didnt need surgery at this time. Crate rest and meds, recheck with our vet in 4-7 days.

4 days later, see our vet. He does indeed need surgery and should have gone on monday right away. He doesn't have feeling. Now we are at a less chance of recovery because surgery should have been done within 24 hrs.

I seriously thought he was going to be ok, I've seen dogs do well on crate rest and meds. He was going potty on his own. Or so I thought. Only problem was he had lots of diarrhea.

when we went to the neurology center, he needed to be expressed because he was not able to go on his own. I swear I saw him pee at home on his own! His pee was brown when they expressed him.

we could have made things better had we got him in on monday!

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 08:49 AM
just got an updated call.

he is doing ok but he has blood in his urine, bladder infection from not being able to pee on his own.

Still having diarrhea.

So they are treating him for both issues.

still no sign of improvement of movement. Said it could be 4 weeks to see any.

Yolanda
05-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Let me first say I wish Rusty nothing but a full recovery.:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Then I want to say, I am very disappointed with your surgical vet, there is always a third choice of allowing Rusty to live a very full and happy life as a wheelie dog. I have had wheelie dogs via rescue for many years and they do well

As for the surgery the fact he is not peeing right after the surgery is common, think about all the trauma his little body has went though. Thinks take tie for the swelling to go down. He will need time to heal and they theraphy to rebuild his strength. Find a holistic vet that does lasar therapy and acupuncture and even chinese herbs.

Always think positive around him and smile even if you want to cry. He will pick up on your attitude and if you are depressed it will depress him.

I am here for you if you need me. :hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
05-23-2014, 09:26 AM
I agree with Yo. It does take time. When Amanda had surgery, it took her several weeks to walk again, but she did and lived to be 17 years old. It also took a couple weeks for her to pee on her own again. Don't give up on Rusty. I totally agree, it can take a great deal of time for the swelling to go down after the trauma of injury and surgery.

The e-vet said that Bogart would never walk again. I wasn't ready to give up and neither was my vet. At 15, we didn't want to do surgery so we did crate rest and meds. It took 10 weeks. Count 'em. Ten. Before he walked again. But he did walk and even ran. At 15 years old!

I agree with finding a holistic vet. I love my holistic vet. She has indeed worked wonder with my dogs and taught me so much.

If Rusty isn't in pain or the pain can be controlled there is always the third option of a cart. I had already decided to get on for Bogart if he didn't walk. Talk to Yo. I did and she's a great source of inspiration and support in these situations. She been thru it many times and knows how you feel right now.

Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 09:33 AM
being a cart dog was a third option. However, the vet said it would only be an option if surgery was done to relieve the pain that he is in. I guess he had multipal disks that were damaged per the MRI. He said if we chose to not do the surgery and chose not to put him down, he would not live a good quality of life because he would be in pain.

Where we took him is where Amy took Laika twice for surgery.

I will never give up on him. But I dont want him to suffer either. We will take it day by day.

LexieLuvr
05-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Oh, man, this so sux! All my prayers go to Rusty for his recovery! I had to cath Jack for a couple of weeks after his surgery and it wasn't a big deal. I have faith that he willl be okay. Don't give up, stay positive and give him time to heal. Tons of prayers for your boy and :hug99::hug99: for you!

Lisa
05-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Yo & Amy gave me so much help when Pogo went down & had surgery. When he gets out, follow the doctors orders, they will give you some very specific instructions and exercises. It is the total opposite of crate rest. He needs to rest (obviously), but move too. Because all the material is gone, you are not worried so much about containing a disc leak.

We will be here every painful long step of the journey. I agree with Yo, you have to stay positive around him. Even though you are going to roll in a ball and cry.

Just as an FYI, it took Pogo 3 days to pee on his own.

Ivan
05-23-2014, 10:25 AM
So glad you didn't give up on Rusty. He's in excellent hands, and you're gonna help him heal. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Don't worry about the multiple herniations. It's not tragic news, cuz that's same as what Buddy's neurosurgeon found on his MRI, and they fixed both old & new sites all at once, and he's running around like a puppy nowadays.

Tanya
05-23-2014, 10:35 AM
A million :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Rusty! Great advice here from our experts. :hug99:

Yolanda
05-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Rusty is so lucky to have you. Many many :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Hang in there with him and share stories.

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 11:46 AM
I cant believe what my eyes see. When I opened my email this morning, the Neurology center sent me pics of Rusty!!! :cheer3:

Little do they know, he does not like peanut butter one bit!!! weird little dog he is.

The message in the email:
Good morning, here are a few pictures of your sweet little guy. He is out with his technician Lea Anne for some AM treatments. We have the cone on him to protect his catheters. Hope you enjoy. Patty

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/star2392/10154173_10152881781646040_7723788407439656579_n_z ps3b06e7f7.jpg

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/star2392/10313046_10152881781716040_6864698721824392228_n_z pscfafb738.jpg

lucerogina
05-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Wow. That is wonderful of them. I wish I could kiss his long nose and rub his floppy ears.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

LexieLuvr
05-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Wow! How awesome is that? Great vet clinic and soooo good to see Rusty looking terrific! Tons more prayers and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
05-23-2014, 12:27 PM
I know he has been through a lot these past few days, but his pictures are wonderful!!! He WILL get through this, as you will!! He has the best Mom to take care of him!! You said you saw him pee, his bladder was probably full so he was leaking a bit and that is what you saw? My neurologist asked me if I was positive I had seen Theo pee because of this very reason. Sometimes they are so full it just leaks out. You didn't know, the meds will take care of the infection in a few days..I wouldn't worry about that at all. Same for the diarrhea, he's been through so much trauma, his body will adjust in a few days now that he has meds and the surgery is over with. So glad all went well. Was thinking of you and Rusty all night!! Will be checking for another update this afternoon. Hang in there!!! Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:for Rusty. :hug99:

Lisa
05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Seriously Angela, I started bawling when I saw these pictures. Good tears though. These past few days with Rusty have brought back a lot of memories for me. Seeing these pictures, I know he is going to be okay.

That is such a wonderful thing for the hospital to do. Wow to the care they show their patients and their hoomans!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rusty looks amazing for all he has been through. :sillylove:

Yolanda
05-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks Angela, seeing the pictures mad :cheer3:me cry -- with joy.

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 02:26 PM
THANK YOU!!! all of you. If I had not found the DLC! you know where Rusty might be.

I am going to call this afternoon to see how he is doing. They said we can visit at any time but I am afraid to go today. I'm afraid he will be so excited, he will hurt himself. Then I will be upset to leave. I am also afraid if I don't go see him, he will think I've abandoned him. Really! but I think I am going to wait it out and go see him tomorrow morning. Is an hour drive as well.

Lisa
05-23-2014, 02:39 PM
They wouldn't even let us visit Pogo until it was time to go and pick him up. That is great they welcome you to visit him. I would wait until tomorrow. He is still going to be pretty drugged up today.

Just letting you know, the first time you see him will be really, really tough. The first time you have to hold him will be really, really tough. But it does get easier and better every day.

They gave Pogo a sling to use for his potty time. If they don't give you one, you can totally use a sports elastic bandage. It is just for support on his back-end.

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 02:45 PM
I read your pinned post about using the sports bandage :-) we will get some shopping done before he comes home to make sure we have a few things. Not 100% sure all we need! but I will get stuff like that, pee pads, should I get dog diapers or anything like that? I will also order a belly band from our favorite bband person. We have 10 of them but they only fit Odie.

Can you all please suggest anything we should have ready for him when he gets home?

Crate, pee pads, etc.

Lisa
05-23-2014, 03:22 PM
I know this is a horrible time, but it did happen at a good time of year. Pogo went down in December. Getting to and from doctors appointments and getting him to walk was really hard. You will be spending a lot of time on your knees outside with Brian and Rusty. One person will support him (support not lift) him with the bandage, the other will put his feet in the correct position to try and re-teach his brain foot placement.

You will NOT be able to use diapers or belly bend for a few weeks (5 - 6). You mentioned his discs were lower ones, so that is where is scar / wound will be. I don't think anything should be on it when it heals (unless your vet tells you differently). We were lucky, Pogo didn't loose bladder control (after he peed on his own day 3). Rusty might have a catheter for a few weeks. And for pooping, probably just pee pads in his crate.

He will need stuff to keep him occupied in his crate. We bought an "eggshell" (http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-training/crate-mats-pads/petmate-ortho-dog-crate-mat-zid36-6940/cat-36-catid-100087?var_id=36-6940&_t=pfm%3Dsearch)type pad from Petsmart which is supposed to be better for IVDD dogs (not sure if it is or isn't but it has lasted over 7 years, so I can attest to the quality!!!). Expensive, but worth it. We do wrap the pad in blanket so it lasts longer and if he messes, it is the blanket that gets it, not the pad.

For the first week, he will most likely be really low maintenance. Pogo wanted to stay in his crate and was really quiet.

Yolanda gave me a great tip. Always make him stand for meals. Just lift his little butt and support him while he eats. Its a little thing but most people forget about it.

It's a tough stage, you are in between healing and not wanting the muscles to atrophy. You will have to listen to Rusty and his little body and go at his speed.

((hugs)).

lotsadox
05-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Seriously Angela, I started bawling when I saw these pictures. Good tears though. These past few days with Rusty have brought back a lot of memories for me. Seeing these pictures, I know he is going to be okay.

That is such a wonderful thing for the hospital to do. Wow to the care they show their patients and their hoomans!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rusty looks amazing for all he has been through. :sillylove:

Same here! I'm at work and trying not to boo-hoo all over, but it made me really teary. How wonderful of them!

When Bogart was down, I used one of my Diane's Dream fleece pads on bottom of his crate with a pee pad in between and another Diane's Dream pad on top. That way if he couldn't wait for me to get home at lunch, he would just wet the top one and it would go thru and the pee pad would catch it. At his age, Bogart couldn't wait very long so I did LOTS of laundry. But putting the pee pad under the top pad cut it in half.

That's a great idea about making them stand to eat. I think I did that with Amanda after her surgery. I do remember sitting on the floor watching tv and making her stand up for a few minutes at a time to start strengthening the muscles in her hind quarters.

LexieLuvr
05-23-2014, 03:54 PM
I didn't encourage Jack to stand to eat and he did fine. Just use your best judgment, IMO. Jack stood the same day of surgery so they said I could take him home that day. More prayers for his recovery!

I put a pillow enclosed in a trash bag, covered with blankets, in his crate, and he did well. I put his crate on a dolly and moved him around to be near me and he was relatively happy, and he's recovered 98%. He had acupunctre and VOM after surgery to help him recover. He had one minor relapse but recovered quickly.

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 04:05 PM
And that's why I ask questions. I seriously didn't think about that, his scar and belly bands!

They sent me more photos :-)

He is getting his incision iced and he started to fall asleep

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/zytu4a4e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/uzubaqy5.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/7y4umu2e.jpg

lucerogina
05-23-2014, 04:07 PM
My goodness he is handsome. I am so proud of him. He looks like a good little patient. :)
Sending hugs for you mama. Your baby will be home and in your arms again soon.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

Alex's Mom
05-23-2014, 04:12 PM
These pics made my heart happy, Angela. He's going to be fine (in time). Plus he's got the best parents looking out for him. :hug99::hug99:

While I'm not much help re: the surgery (about the only thing I HAVEN'T gone through with my guys ...no, Universe, I am NOT putting it out there :)), I had the same decision to make re: visiting after Alex had her cancer surgery. She was in the hospital for 10 days post-op, and I was SO afraid that she'd get too excited when I went in, that I didn't go. until it was almost time for her to come home. I regretted it...she was so doped up that while she was definitely glad to see me, she wasn't really aware enough to care when I left. It put my mind at rest.....the anticipation of what I was going to see was worse than the reality. I'm SO impressed that they sent you those pics...awesome vets!! :appl: But you'll feel better once you see for yourself.

Tons and tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: coming at ya!

Yolanda
05-23-2014, 04:13 PM
A few comments off the top of my head.

1. A crate (wire) so he can see you and make it mobile if you can . He will want to be in the room you are in.

2. I use washable pee pads. I buy them in bulk from ODC http://www.odcmerchandise.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=20

3. Keep him dry and clean.

4. Keep him entertained (frozen kong with banana and peanut butter is good.)

5. Important to express completely. You do not want a bladder infection. They will teach you how to express if needed.

6. When you do his gently limbering exercises remember to do the TOES.

7. Stand him up with his feet placed correctly for feeding or treats

8. Get some acupuncture or laser therapy for him. It helps with healing.

9. Use an old fashion set of panty hoses or something of the like if you need to support his rear end to go out. You do not want it thick or over elastic.

10, Be positive around him at all time.

11. Remember it takes time to heal. When you have a sprained ankle you know to stay off it for 4-6 weeks, he does not.

12. Check out K9 back Pack on FB
https://www.facebook.com/TheK9BackPack

13. Check out DodgerList. http://www.dodgerslist.com/

14. Remember we love you and we are here for you.

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 04:18 PM
And that's why I ask questions. I seriously didn't think about that, his scar and belly bands!

They sent me more photos :-)

He is getting his incision iced and he started to fall asleep

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/zytu4a4e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/uzubaqy5.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/7y4umu2e.jpg

Kasianni
05-23-2014, 04:21 PM
I love that they are sending you all these pictures..Must be very reassuring!! He looks so good!!! He is so handsome!! Love the last set of pictures...:sillylove:

lotsadox
05-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Awwwww, Rusty is such a good boy :love98::love98:

BeauBuddy
05-23-2014, 04:33 PM
When Georgia went down Feb 2013, she could not stand on her hind legs but still had bladder and bowel control. What the vet told me (and she worked at the specialty clinic that does surgeries on doxie backs) was that they would not do surgery unless all was gone, bladder and bowel control, no deep pain. So even had I brought her in at that point, they would not have touched her. I imagine that they have hope that crate rest would be enough and that surgery may cause her to loose what she still had. So I'm thinking the emergency vet thought along these lines.

I had tears seeing Rusty's pics. How wonderful that they are sending pics, and we are all hoping for the very best outcome. Big hugs!

LexieLuvr
05-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Awwwwwwwww, how wonderful of them to send pics. He looks really good, and sleepy. :). I didn't have any help with Jack so I had to hold up his rear sling with one hand and his harness with the other! If you have help, it makes everything so much easier.

lotsadox
05-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Awwwwwwwww, how wonderful of them to send pics. He looks really good, and sleepy. :). I didn't have any help with Jack so I had to hold up his rear sling with one hand and his harness with the other! If you have help, it makes everything so much easier.

It certainly does, Suzanne. I've done all of our dogs myself and doing it yourself is definitely tough.

RustysMom
05-23-2014, 08:36 PM
I just called to check on him.

He is still on IV fluid. Has a catheter in still. Wont eat. Thats all :(

LexieLuvr
05-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Please don't worry too much, Angela. Not eating for a day or two isn't too big a deal. He will be okay.:hug99::hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
05-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Please don't worry too much, Angela. Not eating for a day or two isn't too big a deal. He will be okay.:hug99::hug99::hug99:

I agree! Hang in there. :hug99::hug99::hug99:

LexieLuvr
05-24-2014, 10:23 AM
When I was hospitalized, eating wasn't high on my list of priorities. He won't starve himself, and the vet will see that he's okay.

RustysMom
05-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Question

Rusty still can't walk, has no feeling at all.

Could feeling return or do you think that's it, no walking again?

I'm just siting here thinking

lotsadox
05-24-2014, 05:08 PM
It can still return. Amanda was 9 years old and completely down when she had surgery. She didn't walk for several weeks after. I took her to follow up appts and the other dogs were all walking. I wanted to cry every time, but had to stay positive for her. The surgeon kept saying that some dogs take longer than others. I worked with her, water therapy, having her stand on her own, everything the surgeon told me to do. After several weeks (I can't remember how many) the vet said she could be off crate rest. I was almost at the point of giving up. I left her crate open one day after feeding her and went to the garage to tell the DH something. When I came back in the house, she walked down the hallway to meet me. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: She was wobbly as all get out and almost leaning on the wall, but she was walking! All the work, sneaking her to a pool at night in January because dogs weren't allowed, working with her in the backyard, it was all worth it just to see her walk again.

Don't give up now. Just because he isn't walking or passing the toe test now, doesn't mean he can't with work. I know it's very upsetting, but hang in there. :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Yolanda
05-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Please do not over think it. He is still swollen and sore. Some take longer than other to recover. Most dogs do not regain the ability to walk immediately. It takes time and patience, lots of theraphy and love.

My favorite story is a dog called Ducky that we just could not figure out why he would not walk. One day we were at a pond and he went in and started swimming. We would take him out and back he went in over and over, later that day he wobbled out of the pond and never stopped walking.

Then on the flip side my friend has a dog that the vet said was just to lazy to walk he wasn't interested.

On never know with a doxie what will or will not happen - just keep on believing.

Alex's Mom
05-24-2014, 06:22 PM
What Yo said, Angela. It's so soon after surgery...there's going to be swelling at the site. It's just too soon to tell what the ultimate outcome is going to be. You've got to take it day by day. It's hard, but he's in the best possible place right now. Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:

LexieLuvr
05-24-2014, 06:25 PM
ITA with the last two posts. It can take weeks, or longer, before the nerves heal enough to make the proper connections so do not think he will never walk again, it's way too soon for that! Water therapy, as he heals, would be good, too, if you can arrange that. Have faith and do NOT give up! These little doggies have more determination than you can ever imagine! :hug99: Lots of patience and lots of faith! :hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
05-24-2014, 07:06 PM
My favorite story is a dog called Ducky that we just could not figure out why he would not walk. One day we were at a pond and he went in and started swimming. We would take him out and back he went in over and over, later that day he wobbled out of the pond and never stopped walking.

My surgeon recommended swimming to get Amanda walking again. It was January. We didn't have big bath tub. But the DH was still on the Board of the Swim Club at our townhouse that we had rented out meaning he had keys. So off we go after dark because dogs weren't allowed to the kiddie pool to swim Amanda. I had to get in the pool with her and get her to swim around. Then jump out wrap her in a towel and run for the truck which had the heater running. It was NOT fun. But it worked and Amanda walked. When Bandit was down, we were in our current house that has a garden tub. It worked great. There was room for her to swim and we could do it in the nice warm house :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: Swimming is awesome for down dogs. My ortho told me to get in the pool for my hip problems. He says water is sort of magic for working on mobility problems.

Kasianni
05-24-2014, 08:43 PM
I think you should give him a bit of time. He just had surgery, and is very swollen. I am sure it takes time to heal. Also, I know Theo didn't have surgery but he was completely paralyzed on his right side. Failed the toes test and all, big time, I was so freaked out..his toes stayed where they were placed. We are done 6 weeks of crate rest as of yesterday. He is passing the toe test now with flying colors. I put him in his harness now every day, put his leash on him and we walk slowly around the condo. He has lost a lot of muscle from not moving for so long but he is walking and he wants to run and play. Give Rusty time to heal. Oh and I totally agree with the others, please do not over think things, it is all I did for the first two weeks and it just will make you sick with worry. I made myself sick as well. Keep thinking, what if, what if. Rusty just needs a little time. Sending him lots of :bigrayz::bigrayz:. :hug99:

Ivan
05-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Give him time. It took Buddy 6 days after surgery before he could even wag his tail, he couldn't stand up, and walked only on his knees, and he still failed the toe test. I suppose function returns at a different pace for each dog. An ice pack and prednisone helps reduce swelling.

RustysMom
05-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I was just wondering. The doctors just don't sound hopeful that he could walk again. Nothing else has been discussed yet. Like what to do when we bring him home, therapy. We went to go see him twice yesterday :-) they said he still can't come home until maybe Tuesday because he still has to keep the catheter.

Love your stories! Thank you

I havent lost hope. Im praying every night. Its not that I cant handle if he never walks again, I can and will.

Lisa
05-25-2014, 09:11 AM
One day at time Angela. Right now we need to get him eating regularly. Then we need to make sure he does not have a bladder infection. We didn't get our instructions until we picked Pogo up. Truth is, they have no idea if he will walk again or not. There is no way for them to tell.

It took Pogo I think 6 weeks. I would have to go back and read my old threads.
But if his spinal cord was not severed....he can potentially walk again. There are things you can do. You can do laser therapy, water therapy, do your exercises with him multiple times a day to keep the muscles working.

Right now, it is between his brain and his spinal cord to see if they can get those messages across. It really depends on the damage and the scar tissue and the calcification. Right now the area is swollen, so no signal can physically get through.

Hang in there. He looks great. Bright and alert. Don't focus on the cart or him never walking. One day at a time. One small triumph everyday. Standing to eat would be huge. Peeping / pooping on his own would be huge. And getting him HOME is going to be huge. ((hugs)).

LexieLuvr
05-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Absolutely right, Lisa, and most vets don't know their doxietude! :cheer3: One day at a time. I've found many vets tend to be negative, perhaps so you don't expect too much. Doxies usually prove them wrong!

RustysMom
05-25-2014, 02:01 PM
I received an update on Rusty this morning. He is doing good. Alert this morning. Eating but only from their hand. Drinking water. IV gone. Still on catheter. No movement in legs or tail. They are going to start physical therapy today. I wonder what they will do. He still staying until tuesday and will get together then about if he can come home or not. We are not going to go see him today. We will go see him tomorrow morning. It is a long drive out there. I hope they send me pictures today! ;-)

LexieLuvr
05-25-2014, 03:01 PM
That is a good update, he is alert and eating! Think positive thoughts! :hug99::hug99:

bittyup
05-26-2014, 04:03 PM
He is moving forward. My boss always used to say after surgery that people want their pets to heal faster than they would heal themselves. Lots of time and patience. He is so lucky to have such a wonderful mom. I love how the hospital sends you pictures. Lots more rays for Rusty:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:and a big:bighug:

lotsadox
05-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Great update, Angela. The fact that he is alert and has started eating is really good.

Let them keep him as long as they need to. When Amanda had her surgery, they sent her home really soon and I wished that they had kept her a bit longer. I was really overwhelmed with the whole thing. They probably can't give you instructions yet, because they don't know exactly where they will be in the therapy when he goes home. If you want to know what they are going to do for therapy just call and ask. I'm sure they'll fill you in. In my experience, vets like proactive people who want to be involved in their dog's treatment.

I can't remember with Amanda either but it was several weeks before she walked. Right now, the vets really have no idea what's going to happen with him. There's just no way to predict.

Rae
05-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Angela, I thought about you in church yesterday. Bro. Shane asked for a show of hands of how many people worry, and of course we all raised our hands.

Then he asked for a show of hands if anybody could say that worrying KEPT anything bad form happening or FIXED anything bad that did happen. Not a hand went up.

I am not in your shoes, and I hope I never am. I wish you weren't either! But please, try not to worry. You love Rusty like a crazy woman, and you will deal with whatever happens, good, bad, or cart wonder. But you are making yourself sick and that's no good for anyone.

Try, baby. Try really hard to find your peace and not to worry yourself to death. He's going to need you when he comes home, the rest of the fur crew needs you too... breathe, sweet friend. :hug99::hug99::hug99:

RustysMom
05-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Thank you Rae :hug99:

Thank you everyone :hug99:

I know I've been emotional about this but I know everything will be ok. It has to be.

Here is this morning's update.

Rusty update 5/27/14: He has to stay at least one more day. (I need to win the lottery, get a 2nd job, find a money tree!) They finally removed his catheter however he still has blood in his urine. He still has no bladder control so they need to see if expressing him will work best. & they are treating him for the blood in urine issue. He did no get sick last night so there is no more worry there (He threw up 3 times the night before). No more diarrhea, but he hasn't gone in 72 hrs though. So they are treating him for that. He was taken off pain meds. They feel his is no longer needing them and the incision looks good, no more swelling. They said they have been pinching his toes to test for feeling, one minute he shows that he felt something then times he doesn't. He think Rusty just knows when someone gets him out and puts him on the exam table, he knows something is going to happen so hes reacting. He said they can’t get a good reading on him.

Rae
05-27-2014, 09:31 AM
I certainly can't imagine anyone NOT being emotional. That's one of your kiddos, after all!

I just want to make sure you are taking care of yourself.

And I am sure Rusty will do much better when he is home and not in the room of doom... You know him better than anyone and you'll know if he really has feeling or not, and your level of anxiety will go way down once all your kiddos are home where they belong.

I know you will provide an outstanding level of care for him, and I just have a super-good feeling about his recovery. My gut says he will be a bit wobbly but he won't care and you won't either.

We love you so much, and there are rays and prayers going up all over the continent!!

And THIS, my friends, is why we must keep the DLC going forever and a day. There is no love or family like this on Facebook, there is simply no substitute for the DLC.

LexieLuvr
05-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Well said, Rae, well said!

Alex's Mom
05-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I couldn't agree more, Rae. Long live the DLC...I need you guys!!! FB is ok, but it's not the same at all.

And Angela, if he's able to feel enough to react when someone pinches his toes, I don't think it's because he feels he should. The fact that he can move his foot at all seems to be a good sign to me! This is good. Hang in there, kiddo...we're all rooting for that bunch of you! :hug99::hug99::hug99: and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Yolanda
05-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Yes, Yes Yes, he will do better once he is home in his environment.

Hang in there .

Karen
05-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Wow! I have just read through this whole thread.
First, sounds like Rusty is doing really well. I'm so sorry you have to go through all this but he sure is lucky to have such a wonderful mom like you! His vets office is amazing to send you pictures! Wordy updates are good but it's so important to be able to see him alert! I am keeping you both in my thoughts that he stays on the straight path to recovery!
Second, this is an amazing group of extremely caring friends! You guys rock!!

Alex's Mom
05-28-2014, 10:19 AM
(Sorry, Angela...just had to spread the good word!! :hug99: )

HE'S COMING HOME TODAY!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

RustysMom
05-28-2014, 10:21 AM
(Sorry, Angela...just had to spread the good word!! :hug99: )

HE'S COMING HOME TODAY!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

I posted that in his other thread too :-)

:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Alex's Mom
05-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Yup. Just saw that :rolleyes:...was just so excited about the great news! :hug99:

LexieLuvr
05-28-2014, 10:29 AM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: So happy for both of you! :cheer3: