PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Alex ate gum!

Chris
04-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Stuff like this only happens when "dad" is on duty.

Alex ate a piece of gum.

He likes the smell of peppermints. If DH has a pair of pants on teh floor to be washed and gum is in the pocket, Al will dissect the pants until he can get to whatever smells minty or bublegummy. But it is always in the packet or I get them off the floor before he can eat it.

Well this time i was on the computer and Alex unwrapped and chewed a piece of gum.

I am freaking out and searching for any vet site on the internet. I know it will just go through a person but i am worried it might get stuck inside him.

He is acting normal. He is upset because his brother is in the next room and mom has him on her lap to observe him while she nervously searches the internet.

I am moments away from calling the vet on duty who will think i am a freak!!!

Chris

Helen
04-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Uh-oh! Was it sugar free gum? I know that there is sometimes Xylitol in sugar-free gum, and that particular ingredient is very dangerous to dogs.

Other than that I dont' really know. Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: ! It can't hurt to call the e-vet.

Edit: Found this (http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/sep04/040901c.asp)about Xylitol.

LUVMYGUNNER
04-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Look and see if you can find a animal control number in your state or city they are very good. i couldn't get a hold of a vet when Gunner pierced a digital battery and my vet left an amergency number to go 100 miles to a vet so I called animal control and they were very good.

Chris
04-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Uh-oh! Was it sugar free gum?

It was a piece of the traditional, old school regular ol' pink bubblegum. No Xylitol thank goodness.

(okay...still painicking... looked on the internet and there is nothing about gum 'cept a poem about somebody's old dog that ate gum thinking it was a worm and eats everything else)

Chris
04-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I just found this

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/is-chewing-gum-toxic-to-your-pet/page1.aspx

Seems like Xylitol and not just an ol pink wad of sugar is whats dangerous

Maybe all of my mom's "old wives tales" about people drowning when they go swimming after chewing gum or from eating a single pretzal is ingrained in me.

Patt
04-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Looks like you got your question answered. Here is another link on gum http://blogs.mainetoday.com/dogslife/004476.html
He probably enjoyed the taste of bubble gum. Here's some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that it will pass quickly. :)

catstamm
04-07-2006, 12:12 AM
I've had doxies get ahold of gum.....just came out the other end :rotfl: Never had a problem. Hope it all come out for you too.

jennie_c_d
04-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Xylitol is SUPER scary. Emma almost didn't make it to the vet's office when my mom was playing with her, and gave her a breath mint (she also liked putting lip gloss on Emma's lips. Emma would dig through her purse and pick the things she wanted). That game no longer happens.

Regular gum.... is probably fine, LOL. If he blows a bubble out the wrong end, take a picture:):):)

Chris
04-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Thanks for putting up with an overreacting, overprotective doxie parent, guys.
I freak out way more than necessary!

If he blows a bubble out the wrong end, take a picture

LOL. Knowing Al he'd probably want seconds even if he did have some discomfort.

Rafi
04-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Yeah I did some reading around too regular gum should pass.

Heheh Pink Poop :)

But Seriously this a good warning for us not to have "Xylitol" near our pupps just like chocolate and other dangerous stuff.

Heck I dont want to put any Xylitol in my system either. Just because human body can tolerate that stuff I dont think I want to put any in my system.

Alex's Mom
04-07-2006, 07:06 AM
My Alex has eaten gum (and just about every other substance known to humans) a couple of times (maybe it's something about the name?). It just passed through her and she had no reaction whatsoever. Mom, however, learned to not leave jackets around where a certain nosely little miss can reach the pockets! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that your Alex is OK too! Let us know what happens!

JanUet
04-07-2006, 07:19 AM
:shocked: I didn't know that "Xylitol" in sugar free gum was dangerous to our furbabies :huh:
So, :thankyou: for posting this thread about your little gum chewer!

Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that all will be well and it works itself out! :rotfl:

Casey and Sophie both are scavengers when I take them for a walk. Casey got a hold of some ABC gum ( Already Been Chewed ) and I laughed as he tried to chew it. I got it out of his mouth and told him a firm "NO"
then laughed to myself the rest of the way home.

Jen
04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Hope the gum passes with no problem. Tasha has sniffed ABC gum but has never tried to eat it--yet!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I think Alex should be OK. Mine like to chew gum too, but I don' t think any one has actually swallowed it.

I hate artificial sweetners! I always thought they can' t be good!

Chris
04-07-2006, 11:38 AM
(maybe it's something about the name?).

Could be! Alex usually prefers lettuce and carrots, though.

Well, I stayed up late last night and Al was already in bed. He was sleeping smack dab in the middle of the bed, having arranged a nest of blankets, and was laying on his back with his head back, his ears flopped over his face and was the picture of contentment. (and of course then i had to figure out what centimeter of the bed I was going to sleep on. I eventually moved him though).

This morning he is just fine too. Like nothing happened.

I bet though the one other time he got ahold of gum, he was "chewing it" - not really chewing to swallow but just for the heck of it and DH laughed at it. (and i must admit so did i as i was taking it out of his mouth) So I bet that didn't help having positive reinforcment about it!

and no..i didn't see any pink pooh :)

Chris

quavec
04-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Glad he doesn't seem to be ill from it. Cricket will 'taste' anything. And when he sees me coming, he tries to swallow the evidence. He really likes cigarette butts. I have a very strict no smoking rule in the house -and a THROW THE BUTTS AWAY (have a bucket for it) rule too. If I find butts in the yard, I ban smoking on my property. (and have had to do it too).