PDA

View Full Version : Our 8 weeks are done!

Kasianni
06-07-2014, 11:48 PM
As of last Friday, our 8 weeks of crate rest are done. He is still in the stroller, taking is slow. He loves it too so even better. Asleep in it now, on his back, with his wittle pink tongue hanging out. Theo is going to the neurologist for his re-evaluation on Tuesday and I am bringing Mika with us as they well both have blood tests done and get their heart worm medicine. They were suppose to start it June 1st but seeing they haven't been going out much vet says they are fine till Tuesday. Theo is doing well. Not the same dog he was 8 weeks ago, fights me like heck when I try to do the toe test, which he passes. Only thing I do notice is a little twitch in his hind leg muscles but I think that is from being crated so long. We've been walking around the condo on a leash this past week to try and gain back some of that muscle. I'll let you know how he does on Tuesday. Thank you for all the great support throughout this journey.

The Midgets
06-08-2014, 04:45 AM
Jackson had 3 weeks of crate rest then surgery and 6 weeks crate recovery time. It was one of the hardest things I've even done - but he's doing great. He has a bit of a hitch in his giddy up, I'd say he is at 97% a year later. I notice on colder days he's a bit slower but other then that he's back to being my stinky butt (he farted on me once and the name stuck). Congrats getting thru this :appl::appl:

Rae
06-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Congratulations to you both on making it through 8 weeks of crate rest! Looking forward to. Great report.

lotsadox
06-08-2014, 11:47 AM
I"m so glad you've made it though the crate rest and can hardly wait to hear what the neurologist says. I start Bogart out on what my vet called "controlled walking" which was walking on the leash on non-slick surfaces (mostly carpet or grass). I was scared to let him do too much, but he did great. After the leash walking, I went to sitting on the floor in one closed off room of the house and letting him walk around. I was really paranoid about his getting away from me and running and hurting himself.

You've done great with Theo! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Alex's Mom
06-08-2014, 12:40 PM
I can't believe it's already been 8 weeks...but I just bet you can! :rolleyes: Awesome news...you did great! :hug99::hug99:

Lisa
06-09-2014, 09:08 AM
That is awesome! So glad he is doing great. Slow and steady. Limit the jumping, but he will be fine. :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

Yolanda
06-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Wonderful news. How comes the fun part. Take it easy and let him start to enjoy being a dog again. :cheer3::cheer3:

Ivan
06-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Yippee! Theo's back must be healing nicely if he can walk around the condo. Good luck with the physio, and with keeping up to him now that he's freeeeeeee!!!!!!.

RustysMom
06-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Wonderful news. I am so happy to hear!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Kasianni
06-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Thanks everyone, we are going in the morning. I can't sleep lol a bit worried. (What I am worried about is them poking him to try and see if he is in pain and doing some damage after our hard work)Not sure how to proceed from here with him. Don't know if he still needs rest or what. He seems fine, he slips a bit still on my floors but I think because they are ceramic and wood and he is not use to walking. This dog wants to runnnnn, he is crazy. He still uses the stroller, I am going to get a picture, he is on his back right now, sound asleep, like a big baby with the legs spread open (No modesty here) and his tongue hanging out. Its like he favorite position. :rotfl:

Alex's Mom
06-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Wait and see what the vet says...they (hopefully) know what they're doing, and won't undo the good stuff! I'd say a slow return to normal would be fine...he's probably missing muscle mass anyway, so will tire fairly quickly until it's built up again. I'd say running probably wouldn't be a problem (but stand to be corrected!), it's more the twisting and turning at speed that I'd be concerned about.

Will be waiting to hear what the vet has to say! :hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
It took Bogart a while to get used to walking on the hard floors after his back problems. I was so paranoid, I kept him on the carpet for a while and would carry him across the hard flooring :rolleyes: But he got used to it after a while.

I"m sure the neuro will give you guidance as to what you should do with him now. Whatever it is, I'd just take it slow and easy and I"m sure you'll both do fine.

RustysMom
06-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Let us know what they say!!!!:crossfin:

Ivan
06-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Buddy could not walk on slippery floors, so to avoid re-injury, we spread temporary throw rugs everywhere. Also a cheapo (freebie) scrap piece of 12'x20' carpeting was just placed on the kitchen floor ( http://1drv.ms/1qnYpQr ) . It was removed a few months later.

LexieLuvr
06-10-2014, 11:46 AM
We now have runners on our slick floors so Jack doesn't slip. Just increase his walks and activity gradually is my suggestion. Jack also had acupuncture and VOM to help his recovery and that helped a lot.:crossfin: