PDA

View Full Version : Help!

FureverDexter
06-21-2014, 07:30 AM
My Sven jumps from my bed to the floor, the couch to the floor, the ARM of the couch to the floor... He even tried jumping out of the door of my lifted truck to the ground but I caught him! He is nuts! He is so tiny.. My Dexter never tried this at his age. I need some portable stairs ASAP. Does anyone know of any that fold up for easy transport? We visit my grandparents on a daily basis so I would like some I can just fold up and carry around easily. Geez this pup makes me nervous. He hurt his mouth jumping once and yet that still doesn't deter him. :( I put a little foot rest thingy by my bed that Dexter would use but he doesn't use it.... Its about half the height of the bed. Please help, I don't want my baby hirting his back...

bittyup
06-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Lots of puppy energy. I think most of the pet stores have doggie steps. Even online like petsmart and petco and Dr's Fosters and Smith. I even saw some in JoAnn fabrics(no dachshund prints tho).I bet some of the other DLCer's have more experience with this than I do. i have seem car ramps online as well.Good luck. He sounds like quite the spirited lad.:cutiepie2

LexieLuvr
06-21-2014, 10:18 AM
You can have stairs and ramps all over the place but he won't use them unless you train him to use them! Ramps are best, we made ours, and I trained my dogs to use them. You can do it, too, and the sooner the better or he will have a ruptured disc before you know what happened! And you don't want that.

lotsadox
06-21-2014, 10:46 AM
In The Company of Dogs has some ramps for use with vehicles. As Suzanne says, ramps are better than stairs. But she's also right that you have to train them to use them. You might be better off to put him in a travel crate in the car so he can't jump out unassisted and get some ramps for at home.

Miller was the total "flying dachshund" and there was only so much I could do.

LexieLuvr
06-21-2014, 01:36 PM
He will be much safer riding in a crate in the car!

Rae
06-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Savannah the Flying Nutjob always rides in her crate in the car, too. Too many things can happen, and if you were to get hit little Sven would become a projectile.

Another reason Savannah rides in her crate is that she would like to ride oN TOP OF MY HEAD, please.... (sheesh!)

RustysMom
06-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Big ditto! crate in car saves a life! & you have to train them to use a ramp or stairs even if they don't use it 100% of the time, he may choose it more.

My Rusty was terrified of the ramp until I used some treats and guided him up and down it with the treat and his nose to follow.

And remember, IVDD is Genetic. It can happen at anytime whether the dog is active in jumping or not.

Karen
06-23-2014, 05:34 PM
My husband built a bedside ramp for Charlie and he was trained to use it in a couple days!! He does tend to hop off a little early but it's much better than nothing. Now he has to do one for the couch.

I found fold up stairs for my senior kitty at Tuesday Morning and have seen them at Ross, Marshalls and Home Goods cheaper than in pet stores. You can look on eBay for the ramp too. And Target has a couch size one for about $60

FureverDexter
06-24-2014, 02:36 PM
I tried crating him in the truck bit he barks this really high pitched bark the entire time and I couldn't do it. I have this thing ordered that attaches to the seatbelt but I haven't got it yet. I guess ramps are better than stairs then?

Another note... He is very spoiled. I think he has separation anxiety too because of that. If he gets left anywhere by himself, he barks and barks and barks. This really loud, high pitched fast bark over and over again. I mowed my lawn and it took me 4 hours and he just nevwr stopped, at all. He does that anytime I leave him, I can't even go downstairs to go to the bathroom. He also barks like that when I'm eating. Dexter was never this vocal. He just got loud when he had something to bark at like a person or animal. I worked so hard on teaching Dexter to speak as a trick, now I'm working even harder to teach Sven not to bark.. And its not very effective.

Alex's Mom
06-24-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm guessing some of this behaviour comes from him being taken from his mom too early. He may well grow out of it. Earplugs are your friend :).

lotsadox
06-24-2014, 04:30 PM
I agree with Paula. Those are the kind of problems that happen when puppies are taken from their mothers early. I'd work with him on separation anxiety now. If he gets more spoiled, it will only get worse. Does he eat or sleep in a crate at home? If not, start now. Get him used to the crate. If you have to take him in the car before he's used to the crate and squirt bottle with water and vinegar will usually stop the barking nonsense.

If you do take him in the car and he is not crated, be sure you have him under control before you open the door. He can only jump out if you let him.

FureverDexter
06-24-2014, 05:09 PM
He wasn't taken from his mom too early.. :scratch: His breeder was AKC registered and inspected, she couldn't sell pups early even if she wanted to. Plus it is illegal in the state of Illinois to sell a puppy before 8 weeks. The byb that I got my Dexter from lied about his age and sold him to me at 4 weeks old, and aside from trouble eating when I got him, he had none of these issues. I ordered a harness that attaches to a seatbelt so he won't be able to jump out. He sleeps in my bed and I don't really want to change that, Dexter always slept with me and so does my pit bull, neither had this issue. I guess a spray bottle could help with the barking, but he only does it when crated in the truck. He use to whine a lot in truck rides but he doesn't do that anymore unless crated.

Thanks for the suggestions

lucerogina
06-24-2014, 07:09 PM
I tried crating him in the truck bit he barks this really high pitched bark the entire time and I couldn't do it. I have this thing ordered that attaches to the seatbelt but I haven't got it yet. I guess ramps are better than stairs then?

Another note... He is very spoiled. I think he has separation anxiety too because of that. If he gets left anywhere by himself, he barks and barks and barks. This really loud, high pitched fast bark over and over again. I mowed my lawn and it took me 4 hours and he just nevwr stopped, at all. He does that anytime I leave him, I can't even go downstairs to go to the bathroom. He also barks like that when I'm eating. Dexter was never this vocal. He just got loud when he had something to bark at like a person or animal. I worked so hard on teaching Dexter to speak as a trick, now I'm working even harder to teach Sven not to bark.. And its not very effective.

It sounds like you have a doxie! I know it is tough but you have to train him to do what is best and safe for him. I learned so much from the DLC. Listen to everyone on here and give their ideas a try. Sven will be on the right track in no time!

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

lotsadox
06-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Eight weeks may be legal and AKC okayed but it's still pretty early to take a puppy from the pack. Also, like children, puppies mature at different rates. The fact that he didn't eat well demonstrates that he could have used a few more weeks with his pack. All dogs are different. Just because you treat one dog a certain way and get a certain reaction doesn't mean that will happen with the next one. My dogs sleep in the bed, but all are crate trained. I, personally, will not have another dog that isn't crate trained. It makes a lot of things a whole lot easier and safer for everyone. There are solutions to the problem if you are open to them. There are posts here about separation anxiety and also a lot of information out there.

FureverDexter
06-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Thank you guys very much. Yes I guess all dogs are different.. He's a sweetie though, things will work out alrihht I'm sure. Just lots of working with him.

But Sven, my current puppy doesn't have problems eating. It was Dexter that had problems eating when I got him. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Thanks again.

Rae
06-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Sven may just need to join the Brat Pack. Savannah Jane is the mischief-maker-in-chief....

She is just so full of zest for life and happy happy happy that she is like Tigger from Winnie The Pooh. Never walk when you can run, never climb when you can jump, never settle when you can stand on your mom's head....

FureverDexter
06-25-2014, 03:09 PM
LOL that is so much like Sven. I'm thinking with some training he will grow up to be just fine, maybe a little bit more onery and spirited than most, but he is very smart. What is going to be funny is that my SO is coming home on the 2nd, an 11 hour drive from Minnesota. He hasn't met Sven yet, I'm curious as to what Sven thinks of him... And how he reacts to this new guy in our bed! lol That should be funny.

Karen
06-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Awe! Aren't those barkers just the sweetest?? :rotfl:

Charlie sees me grab his treats and walk towards the crate and he runs and jumps in before I have even told him to haha!! But, he does whine if I walk away and he is still awake. Maybe I didn't train him right...who knows. I took the fastest shower (probably 5 minutes) today and stepped out to barking *sigh* I don't necessarily thing it is separation anxiety but just that they don't want to be alone which I would find normal for a baby. They are so young.

lotsadox
06-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Try feeding them in their crate. Once mine got it in their head that crate = food, they loved their crates :thumbup:

Karen
06-25-2014, 06:53 PM
He is actually going in and out of it on his own and sleeping in it with the door open this evening but, yeah, all because of food!!!

SaxLady
06-26-2014, 01:20 AM
Is Sven an Aries? Born between March 22 and April 22? If so, they are real daredevils and will always be like that. :rotfl::cheer3::):)

Karen
06-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Charlie is April 3....when is Sven?