PDA

View Full Version : Garlic

LexiRay
04-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I've read that you shouldn't give your dogs any garlic. But a lot of treats have it in the ingredients. I guess it is only in big doses?

I also read the same for tomatos but I've seen that a few times as well.

:scratch: So confusing.. why would they make it if its not good for our puppers

Lisa
04-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Onions are really bad for dogs. Garlic is okay, but not in large doses. As a seasoning / flavour enhancer it's fine, but you wouldn't want to toss them a clove.

In fact, I believe garlic is either a natural flea or tick repellant.

For tomatoes, I believe it's the stems that are dangerous. I have it in my book at home - the Hounds Health. I will look it up when I get home unless someone else has the answer.

P.S. Nice to see you!

Jen
04-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, I've heard that garlic repells ticks and fleas--but I'd still use Frontline ;)

Tomato is ok in small amounts I think, as I know puppers have eaten pizza etc and been ok.

LexiRay
04-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Right.. I knew it helped repell fleas, thats why I didnt understand why it would be bad.

Heres the site I found the info at: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1276&articleid=1030

LexiRay
04-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Sorry to ask.. But I thought I would take some advice from the fellow doxie lovers!

I was going to order Simon & Hueys soft training treats and the one type was 'garlic & honey'. Just made me wonder about it

And Wow thank you for the fast responses the few times I have been to the board!! :thanx:

Patt
04-07-2006, 01:24 PM
According to Hound Health Tomatoes are not safe for dogs, they contain atropine. This link says the same thing, along with other unsafe foods. :)

http://www.lacetoleather.com/fataltodogs.html

FYI, Garlic & Onions contain a compound that dogs don't metabolize well, and eating in large amounts of them can cause hemolytic anemia. The treats probably have a small amount of garlic.

Jen
04-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks Patt. I knew I'd read tomatoes were bad!

Bella's Mom
04-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Yet another great reason for this site! We find out great information here! :appl:

Frzframe
04-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I give supplements that have garlic in them so I think that if you don't over use it they should be fine. :)

quavec
04-07-2006, 04:16 PM
plus they help ward off those pesky vampires ;)

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I understand certain preservatives are bad for dogs, can cause seizures,some are in dog food & treats. The ones that uses animals fat as a preservative, yuck!!!
You really gotta read labels to know what you put into yourself & puppers!!!!That' s why I only feed my puppers Iams biscuits & Purina food.

Mama S.
04-07-2006, 07:27 PM
And Wow thank you for the fast responses the few times I have been to the board!! :thanx:
That just means you have to post more and more so we can answer more!! Pictures would be WONDEFUL!!!!
Sandi

jennie_c_d
04-08-2006, 03:21 PM
I think, if you fed your dog a couple of pounds of garlic a day for a year, you might see hemolytic anemia. Otherwise, it probably won't be a problem. I put a clove or two a week in my dogs' food.