PDA

View Full Version : I've been thinking a lot and...

Auggie's Mom
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm finally realizing, after 9 months of Auggie ownership, that there is no one way to train a dog.

I've watched countless episodes of The Dog Whisperer, read Jan Fennell's Dog Listener, Patricia McConnell's books and none of these methods work perfectly for Auggie.

For example, Auggie is oblivious to physical correction. A jerk on the leash or a bop on the nose means nothing to him. However, being ignored for 5 minutes drives him crazy. Patricia McConnell's "body blocks" work well, but some aspects of dominance training don't work at all.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm finally realizing that a combination of techniques can sometimes work best. It's all about knowing your dog. Auggie is extremely food motivated, not at all toy motivated, territorial but not dog or human agressive, and too smart for his own good!

Has anyone else had the experience of trying to follow a training method to the T and not having success? Is it best if we take a little from each method and come up with our own? All opinions welcome! Thanks!

Jen
04-07-2006, 02:10 PM
I've done exactly the same as you Casey! I've read McConnell's book, the Dog Listener, and about 4 or 5 others, and none of them did I agree with 100%. So I take bits from each method that I find work well with Tasha. I don't like physical correction much, but with Tasha, holding her muzzle is MUCH more effective in getting her to stop barking than the water bottle is!

Otto'sMom
04-07-2006, 02:18 PM
, but with Tasha, holding her muzzle is MUCH more effective in getting her to stop barking than the water bottle is!

When I hold Otto's muzzle, all I succeed in doing is making him say "moof":rotfl:
I think a combo of methods is a good way to go. Not all dogs react the same way to things. You can't correct a dog with water that thinks the catching the water from the squirter is a game.

quavec
04-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Tasha, holding her muzzle is MUCH more effective in getting her to stop barking than the water bottle is!

Cricket pees..........

Seriously, hate you are going through this frustration. Maybe some other members will have more advice you can use.

Lisa
04-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Knowing your dog and knowing the signs when he or she is starting to take the Alpha roll and correct them is awesome! I agree there is no once way to train a dog...they come with baggage (imprints), different personalities, fears, and lots of owners want different things from their companions. The only thing my dogs do that I need to work is their distracted recall which is brutal, but otherwise I am so happy with their training.

The only training method I disagree with is aggressive training where the dog is hurt to "learn" something. And I'm not talking about leash correction, but things like big spike collars etc.

I think you're on the best track with training possible!

Jen
04-07-2006, 02:29 PM
When I hold Otto's muzzle, all I succeed in doing is making him say "moof":rotfl:

Tasha barks too LOUD so holding her muzzle at least creates a quieter bark! If she barks quietly we don't mind so much, but those loud ones, when your head is by hers HURT! People always joke on the street that she sounds like a rottie or a shepherd she has SUCH a loud bark!

lotsadox
04-07-2006, 03:02 PM
I use whateve works. Cash is food motivated, not at all toy motivated. Miller is only somewhat food motivated, but extremely praise motivated, not at all toy motivated. Correction means nothing to Scooter unless it's a shot of water which works really well. He's very toy motivated. Every one is different. I just have to find the key to each and then remember which key belongs to which dog! :scratch:

Michelle
04-07-2006, 03:55 PM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
moof moof moof moof :rotfl: :rotfl:

Frzframe
04-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I agree take what works for you and toss the rest. I have to use differant things with my two because what works with Moo doesn't with Dud. :rolleyes:

Patt
04-07-2006, 04:09 PM
I believe it's true, there is no one way to train all dogs. Like people, they have many different personalities and what works for one may not work for another. I believe you are reading and listening to all the best trainers though. Knowing your dog is most important aspect of training, when you do, you can implement the method which works best for him. Psychology works best for Trixie’s personality, so we follow Cesar’s (“The Dog Whisperer”) methods. What ever method you use however, it’s imperative that you maintain your leadership role or all your training efforts will simply be a waste of time.

I recently purchased Patricia McConnell’s booklet “How to be the Leader of the Pack and Have Your Dog Love You for it.” I think it’s about $3.95 at Amazon. It’s small, easy to read and you can keep it handy on your coffee table.

Alex's Mom
04-07-2006, 08:21 PM
that's what I always tell my students...theory is a toolbox...you take out and use what you need, knowing that the rest of it is there to be used when and if a different problem comes up. Training puppers kinda works like that too! (and horses, for that matter!) Good for you for taking the time to really explore and educate yourself! It'll really pay off, I bet!

Auggie's Mom
04-08-2006, 12:26 PM

Hilarious!

When I hold Auggie's muzzle, he turns into the Tasmanian Devil. I'm positive he could actually spin around in the air if he tried hard enough!

Auggie has turned into a one-bark dog. When he is alarmed, he barks one time (sometimes with a closed mouth -- kind of a "boork" noise) then looks to me. As long as I'm ok, he's okay.

Of course, all of this goes out the window if someone actually enters the apartment. Then it's barkapalooza!

oceangirls
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I agree. I used to feel bad because I would read a book and think some of the methods were good but others seemed excessive. One example I can think of is when they say, "The human should always be the one to initiate and end play." Now I know for some dogs play becomes a control issue, and then this advice is good. But my Tristan and Amber would offer you toys all day long asking to play fetch; sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't, and they were both sweet, happy dogs who did not seem to have any issues about who was in charge. :)

Depends a lot on the dog and its personality, as well as what the human considers good behavior (e.g., does it bother you if you get up from the couch and your dachshund steals your spot?).

Moof! :lol: