PDA

View Full Version : One More Time - What Does Everyone Use for Fleas?

lotsadox
09-15-2014, 02:07 PM
One of our employees has a rescue pitbull that is the equivalent of Isabella in dachshunds (sort of blue) and is having problems with fleas. He used Frontline on him and the poor dog had a huge reaction so he asked me what I use. I haven't had many flea problems and so I don't use anything at present except heartworm meds. I thought I'd check here and see what everyone is currently using. Most of the past threads were 2 or 3 years old and I'm not even sure the products listed are still available. I also thought there might be something new that is working well.

So please let me know what you use on your dogs and how it works and I'll pass the info on to him.

LexieLuvr
09-15-2014, 02:37 PM
My vet recommended Revolution and she's very cautious about what she suggests. Plus I don't have to give Jack a hesrtworm pill any more, so I save money in the long run. So far, so good!

lotsadox
09-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Suzanne. That's good to know since we have to give heartworm year round here.

oceangirls
09-15-2014, 09:05 PM
well, honestly I was really happy with Frontline Plus when I could use Interceptor for heartworm. Never had any problem with fleas in MO or FL with my dogs on that. But now that I can't get Interceptor anymore, I'm using Trifexis. The girls have done great on that and tolerate it without problems. But they are pretty much indoor dogs, so we haven't given it a really hard test.

lotsadox
09-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Kim. His dog is definitely an indoor dog. He was going to spray his yard and hopes that that would help, too, since that's probably his biggest exposure.

Red Haired Girl
09-16-2014, 06:15 AM
I use Advantix Plus. Nobody has ever reacted from it and it works so well I only have to apply it every other month. I use it from April to October, then switch to Advantage every other month during the colder parts of the year. No fleas.

I never put it near their head/neck. I put it in the middle of their back where they can't reach. I don't like applying stuff that close to their little brains.

Alex's Mom
09-16-2014, 10:52 AM
never had to deal with fleas (or at least not for the last 20 years or so :rolleyes: ), and we don't really have heartworm here, so don't need those meds. however I DID find a tick on Ferk's ear last weekend :shocked:. Haven't seen one of those since I was a kid (our dachsie Rani used to get them all the time when we lived in Germany and walked in the woods). GROSS!!!!!!!!! may have to rethink the anti-tick stuff though.

Not much help, was I...:rolleyes:.

lotsadox
09-16-2014, 10:57 AM
I feel your pain, Paula. A couple years ago we had an invasion of ticks! I hadn't seen a tick on one of my dogs since I lived in the east Texas piney woods. I agree. Ick. Gross. I had to use something for a couple of years for them and spray the yard. This year I didn't get the meds and they didn't get an ticks so I just let it go and didn't ever put anything on them and no ticks. Sending no tick :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for you.

Ivan
09-16-2014, 10:28 PM
We use nothing. Nothing at all. Yet we get no problems. Ever.