PDA

View Full Version : Roasting hot dogs

Rae
10-05-2014, 02:42 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/06/uhasase6.jpg

Well, just the one. When outside gets broken we turn on the fire!

Lisa
10-05-2014, 03:29 PM
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:love98: :cutiepie2 :love98: :cutiepie2 :love98: :cutiepie2

I :love98: her!

lotsadox
10-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Awwwwww, Miss Savanah is getting so grown up! :love98::love98::love98:

Red Haired Girl
10-05-2014, 06:11 PM
She looks so happy to have the fire! That is an interesting fireplace. Is it freestanding gas logs?

Alex's Mom
10-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Outside may be broken, but I'm glad to see SJ's minions have their priorities straight!! :rotfl: She's just such a gorgeous girl, Rae. :love98::love98:

Rae
10-06-2014, 09:02 AM
She looks so happy to have the fire! That is an interesting fireplace. Is it freestanding gas logs?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: freestanding gas logs! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Tracy, that is what happens when a redneck has an ice storm in 2009, (yes, five years ago. THAT 2009) and against his wife's better judgment BRINGS A KEROSENE HEATER IN THE HOUSE which promptly chugs out enough black smoke that we had to repaint, and then he remembers there is an unopened set of gas logs upstairs. He then gets said set of gas logs and rigs them "temporarily, just to get us through until the power comes back on" on the hearth.

and fast forward to 2014, where they still sit. I talked to a guy a couple of years ago about installing them properly and it will be about $400 to block off the chimney and run the line properly... DH said he could totally do that himself, but he "just hasn't gotten around to it."

Drives my mother NUTS. Every time she visits, it absolutely flips her fingernails backwards.

I've just quit noticing. He thinks they are not big enough for the fireplace and we probably need a larger set, and I am sure he's right, but... they keep us warm, and the only person who is really stressed about it is my mom.

Ivan
10-06-2014, 10:27 AM
OOoeeeee! What a CUUUTE little hot dog. Well, all grown up now. Such a beauty! :love98:

lotsadox
10-06-2014, 05:54 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: freestanding gas logs! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Tracy, that is what happens when a redneck has an ice storm in 2009, (yes, five years ago. THAT 2009) and against his wife's better judgment BRINGS A KEROSENE HEATER IN THE HOUSE which promptly chugs out enough black smoke that we had to repaint, and then he remembers there is an unopened set of gas logs upstairs. He then gets said set of gas logs and rigs them "temporarily, just to get us through until the power comes back on" on the hearth.

and fast forward to 2014, where they still sit. I talked to a guy a couple of years ago about installing them properly and it will be about $400 to block off the chimney and run the line properly... DH said he could totally do that himself, but he "just hasn't gotten around to it."

Drives my mother NUTS. Every time she visits, it absolutely flips her fingernails backwards.

I've just quit noticing. He thinks they are not big enough for the fireplace and we probably need a larger set, and I am sure he's right, but... they keep us warm, and the only person who is really stressed about it is my mom.

That sounds like a familiar story. I just ordered myself a pair of painted fuel rails covers for my vette. The DH was going to paint me a set and he even got one done. Two years ago. Finally, I gave up and just bought some. He'll never 'get around' to finishing them. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I also have some Christmas gifts HE gave me for my car in 2013 that are not on the car yet. Or was it 2012? It was so long ago that I've forgotten :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Red Haired Girl
10-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Shoot. I think they look fine. Whatever works! They are probably safer there than inside the fireplace opening. No chance of an accidental chimney fire caused by birds nesting in the closed flue.

oceangirls
10-07-2014, 08:22 AM
She is so cute.

We went down to 60s at night, then we went back up. :conf4:

lotsadox
10-07-2014, 08:29 AM
We've been down to the 60's every night, but back up to the 80's every day. Fall in Houston :)

Rae
10-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Shoot. I think they look fine. Whatever works! They are probably safer there than inside the fireplace opening. No chance of an accidental chimney fire caused by birds nesting in the closed flue.

I think the are more effective out on the hearth... if they were back in the fireplace proper, there would be nothing to pull the heat out (there is an oscillating fan right next to the logs now) because there is no forced-air feature on them, so I am afraid that all the heat would either hover in the fireplace or go upward. The chimney is blocked off, thank goodness, but not very well.

Again, DH's daddy was a jackleg and I have no idea what he stuffed up in there.... we are looking into getting a new roof put on and if we do we are considering taking the chimney off the house. I like the way it looks, but it's a pain to put flashing around.

Alex's Mom
10-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Rae, ignorant northern minds want to know what a jackleg is :)

Rae
10-07-2014, 11:46 AM
must be a regional thing.

urban dictionary says "Half assed or unprofessional. Not authorised or done while drunk. Someone who does a jack-leg job is called a jack."

Suffice it to say that our house was owned by DH's parents prior to his purchase, and there are a lot of "duct tape and baling wire" type repairs.

I think this is where DH got his problem with "getting around to it."

Alex's Mom
10-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Ah! What we would call Jerry-rigged (from WWI when the Canadian troops came across the same kind of work in the German trenches). Dialects...who knew?? :hug99:

lotsadox
10-07-2014, 02:44 PM
You wouldn't get much heat if it was set back in the box of the fireplace. We have one like that in this house and while the DH loves it because there's not cleaning it out (it's not like he actually did that in the other house :rolleyes: ) and no cleaning the chimney. There's also not much point to it because there is almost no heat that comes from it which is why it never gets turned on.

SasatheRusty
10-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Rae, your little girl is a real beauty. I always enjoy your fabulous descriptions of life with Savannah Jane. Perhaps I'll read your book one day when you have time to write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rae
10-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Rae, your little girl is a real beauty. I always enjoy your fabulous descriptions of life with Savannah Jane. Perhaps I'll read your book one day when you have time to write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would totally love to write a book, and my friend Dee has really been on my case about writing Duchie's story (from the puppy mill to being a princess) from her perspective, in first-person.

One of these days... Maybe.
Your encouragement is very kind. Thanks.