PDA

View Full Version : I have pi**ed off the vetkarma gods

Mama S.
10-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Nicky is down. Noticed the hunched last night - OK maybe you had a long weekend hunting with Daddy. This am - Nooo - shivering, yelping, tucked up off to Doc.
Rimadyl, Adequan, Dexamethasone & Metacam.

and new one(for us) take hand towel saturate with icy cold water, squeeze - lay across spine then lay heating pad on top set on low.

Sighhh.... whoever whatever whenever I did whatever it is I am sorry I swear I am.

LexieLuvr
10-29-2014, 10:47 AM
That is just awful! There must be an end to this madness. Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:and :hug99::hug99::hug99: to you. Hope the rain stops pouring!

Yolanda
10-29-2014, 12:43 PM

and new one(for us) take hand towel saturate with icy cold water, squeeze - lay across spine then lay heating pad on top set on low.

Sighhh.... whoever whatever whenever I did whatever it is I am sorry I swear I am.

So sorry Sandi, take good care of him. Yes it does seem like you cnn't get a break right now.

BTW, in the holistic world the ice towel followed by the heating pad is not new.

RustysMom
10-29-2014, 01:21 PM
:hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

lotsadox
10-29-2014, 01:24 PM
I've never heard of using ice and heat at the same time. Interesting . . .

I have used alternating ice and heat. That's been around the sports medicine world since before it as called sports medicine and can work wonders. Back in the 80's, I had my foot run over by a car (it involved a drunk guy, don't ask) and that's what one of the guys I worked with told me to do for the soreness and bruising. It worked like a charm. It took all the soreness out really fast.

Edit: I did some research and it brought back a lot. Ice is usually used at onset (my vet had me use frozen peas lol) because it brings down swelling and inflammation which relieves pain. My chiro also has be used ice on my back if he's had to do a lot of adjustment. I'm not sure how the heat pad on top of the iced towel works. I know that often you use a damp towel so that you have moist heat instead of dry heat. I don't know about the iced towel though. Maybe Kim will have some insight.

BeauBuddy
10-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Really sorry to see this.

Ivan
10-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Yikes! Hope your little one recovers soon. Good luck, Nicky. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
10-29-2014, 04:13 PM
OH no sending lots of :bigrayz:. Sorry you have to deal with this on top of everything else..However, I am confused with something, I know Dexamethasone is a steroid because that is exactly what Theo took when he went down. BUT I also know that Metacam is a NSAID and the two can NOT be used together at all. How is he using both? When Theo went down, I gave him a dose of Metacam and he had to wait 4 days before starting the Dexamethasone because it was dangerous to use them together? Maybe I am wrong...

Alex's Mom
10-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Geez, Mama, you can't catch a break!!!!! Sending a ton of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:. Not sure about the ice/heat thing...I've also always been told to alternate, not use both together? :scratch:? Kasia, that's what I've also been told about the NSAIDS...not to mix them. this is a Kim question :)!

bittyup
10-31-2014, 08:46 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bighug:

oceangirls
11-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Well, the meds sometimes get used in humans together, although usually not for long term. Everything I have seen for dogs says don't use them together :dunno:. I would ask the vet. The dog is already at risk for stress ulcer due to the physiological effects of stress and fear on the body, and those drugs could trigger a GI bleed. I do think the "washout period" is overhyped - if the dog does not tolerate one, you should be able to switch if they have not been on it long. Also, using Pepcid specifically "30 min before the dose of pain meds" as a stomach protector is not necessary. That's not how that drug works. Just give it on a scheduled daily basis, whatever time.

I don't really get the idea of hot on top of cold. I'd ask for clarification on that too. The towel is not going to stay cold, so they must be going for moist heat, but not sure of the rationale.