PDA

View Full Version : Water Therapy

Yolanda
04-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Water therapy at home is relative easy unless you have big standard.

I use a cheap "spa mat" from a "walmart type", and put it in the
bottom of the tub. Then I fill the tub with as warm of water as the
pupper can stand. The water level should be just high enough to cover
his hips and let his rear legs barely lift off the bottom (with the
spa running). Then I entice them to swim back and forth for a liver
treat.

Some dogs will not move at first but that is OK the warm swirling
water is beneficial. Other puppers, do not like the water so you need
to put them in a dry tub and slowly elevate the water.

Always think positive and do not over stress the pupper -- make it fun.

One of my furkids now thinks any time I go to the bathroom he needs to
get in the tub.

Yolanda

Patt
04-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Yolanda, :thanx: for your advice I'm sure it will make it easier for Cathleen and Cami. :sausage: :sausage:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
04-08-2006, 10:24 AM
That sounds like fun!

Nancy
04-08-2006, 10:28 AM
One of my furkids now thinks any time I go to the bathroom he needs to get in the tub. Yolanda

I would pay to see this!!! GREAT advise Yolanda! A friend of mine has her pupper currently seeing a therapist and they are using water therapy as well. I'll let her know of this alternative!

lotsadox
04-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Good advice, Yolanda! When Amanda had back problems we didn't have any where to swim her where we could get the water deep enough (Amanda is a standard dachsie mix), so we snuck her over to the swimming pool at the townhouse and swam her at night in the kiddy pool! It worked though. She started walking about a week after we started swimming her.

When Bandit (standard LH) had problems we had moved into a house with a spa type tub. It was deep enough that I could swim her in there. I did the same as you, I enticed her with treats. When she got used to it and was doing better, I realized that she would keep trying to swim to the side where she got in/out so I got in with her and just lightly held her sides. That way she wouldn't move forward and just kept swimming in place. It worked really well! She swam harder to try to get there and really used her back legs. :banana: :banana:

Lisa
04-08-2006, 10:39 AM
:thankyou: Yolanda, I will link this into our Medical Wellness sticky.

:bighug:

jennie_c_d
04-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I just need a bigger tub, so I can do that for Emma, the JRT, who has legs. She has spinal issues, and it'd be beneficial for her to have water therapy once or twice a week.

oceangirls
04-08-2006, 03:11 PM
this is great advice!!

Alex's Mom
04-08-2006, 03:14 PM
thanks for this, Yolanda! Once we get into the new house (which has a whirlpool tub) I'm going to try it with alex...it may not go well, cuz she HATES getting wet (her little face looks like an otter when she has a bath...trying to keep her whiskers dry at least :)) but it might be good for her back end as well, although in her case it's not the disks that are the problem, but the spondelosas (bone spurs) that have formed on the vertebrae themselves. Worth a shot though, no? (alex is giving me that same evil look as Laika as I'm tying this...hmmm:shocked: )

Chris
04-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Hmmm...sounds like pups who are healthy and don't need therapy would really like that too...

Patt
04-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I just need a bigger tub, so I can do that for Emma, the JRT, who has legs. She has spinal issues, and it'd be beneficial for her to have water therapy once or twice a week.During the warm weather you could use a small stock (water) tank. I saw some at the feed store and they would be perfect for a swimming Dachsie or JRT.

Mama S.
04-11-2006, 08:43 PM
We swim all of ours at least once a month since Stinker had her back problems several years ago - doc says it's great for them! We have a huge garden tub in the bathroom that we use! It's wonderful! Now if I can just get Sam to stop trying to eat the bubbles:duh: :rotfl:
Sandi

Jen
04-12-2006, 11:30 AM
We have a tub finally, but its a tiny one, so I'm not sure Tasha could paddle more than twice before reaching the end.....I may try it next time she needs a bath!