PDA

View Full Version : My Raw Shopping Trip/Bagging Adventure

K2
04-08-2006, 01:15 PM
I went shopping this morning and got chicken thighs and chicken legs. Some of these were whole legs. I spent $17.00.

I get home, set up my scale(which I use to weigh my food too)and get cranking. I was proud of myself~I had to cut through bone(I will NOT be buying the whole legs again~YUCK!!), touch chicken(withe a glove), peel off some skin, etc. In the end, I think I went through 8 pairs of gloves. :) and several Clorox disenfecting wipes. :) But, Pippit now has 35 days worth of food!! WOW!!

So, all you RAW feeders~is that a good price for 35 days worth of food?

The bad news~my scale dropped and broke!! So now I have to go find another one. :(

Lisa
04-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Ahhh Yeah! Great price, one bag of food last me about a week for two dogs and it's about $17!!

Of course once you factor in the gloves and wipes you're price has changed :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I go through tons of gloves (had to hold Pixel's food for him again today), I buy the Mr. Clean non-latex ones from Walmart.

K2
04-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Ahhh Yeah! Great price, one bag of food last me about a week for two dogs and it's about $17!!

Of course once you factor in the gloves and wipes you're price has changed :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I go through tons of gloves (had to hold Pixel's food for him again today), I buy the Mr. Clean non-latex ones from Walmart.

The gloves were free(I asked the director of my school if I could pay her for a box(1000 gloves)and she said just take a box) and I always have Clorox wipes on hand~germaphobe here!! :) So, I'll just be using more of that stuff. So, probably $20 a month??

Jacqueline
04-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Go check over in the hardware department where they come in humongous boxes at bulk prices. I used to wear them to check out on the lanes. Believe it or not,....I am allergic to MONEY :sosad:

Courtney
04-08-2006, 11:32 PM
That's about 49 cents a meal, so it's not bad at all!! You can probably add in more variety before you go through 35 days of chicken though - prob. after a couple weeks. I saw the other pics - I'm exhausted right now! But it looks like he got the hang of it! 30 minutes isn't a very long time for a first meal. He will go faster! Did you cook those veggies before he got them? Remember, dogs can't break down the vegetable cell walls on their own and veggies need to be boiled or pulped. :)

K2
04-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Did you cook those veggies before he got them? Remember, dogs can't break down the vegetable cell walls on their own and veggies need to be boiled or pulped. :)

I boiled a bunch of veggies which are now in the fridge since my little man prefers his veggis cold.

lotsadox
04-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Believe it or not,....I am allergic to MONEY :sosad:

OMG, allergic to money? :shocked: I guess you just have to use your credit cards a lot, huh? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mama S.
04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I so suck at math but I buy 3 bags of leg quarters - cost $10. I get home and cut them up - half the dogs get a thigh the other half a leg - going by their weights and who needs more of what. I get 10 - 12 days meals for $10 for 8 dogs!! Bought pork necks last night - spent $2.37 for 8 dogs plus had a few pieces left over. Next in line will be fish.
Courtney - is it ok to feed them chicken livers and gizzards? I think they are soooooo gross but Jamie loves them so I bought extra. If I can't feed the dogs I'll feed him.:rotfl: :rotfl: thinking about feeding them chcicken before him!!
Sandi

K2
04-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I so suck at math but I buy 3 bags of leg quarters - cost $10. I get home and cut them up - half the dogs get a thigh the other half a leg - going by their weights and who needs more of what. I get 10 - 12 days meals for $10 for 8 dogs!! Bought pork necks last night - spent $2.37 for 8 dogs plus had a few pieces left over. Next in line will be fish.
Courtney - is it ok to feed them chicken livers and gizzards? I think they are soooooo gross but Jamie loves them so I bought extra. If I can't feed the dogs I'll feed him.:rotfl: :rotfl: thinking about feeding them chcicken before him!!
Sandi

I'm no good at math either(I must take after Mama:rotfl: ) But you're doing way better than I am!!! My probelm~there is really only 1 butcher shop around. So I went to the grocery store for my stuff. But, tonight my mom told me that the butcher shop had 10lb bags of chicken legs for $2.99. So, I'll have to go check them out when I'm running low!

Jen
04-12-2006, 03:11 PM
A kind butcher might even be willing to cut them to size once you're a regular customer! Worth a try.