PDA

View Full Version : yelping! UPDATE POST #43

Kasianni
12-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Has any ones dog that has IVDD, yelped still at times?? Theo was in his crate, digging and trying to get under the blanket and yelped. He yelped yesterday too..just wondering if anyone has had this happen?? He's yelped before but not two days in a row. I wonder if I am always going to wonder if he is going down again..does the thought ever go away??

Lisa
12-30-2014, 07:52 PM
&*%^ yelping is not normal and he is in pain. Crap. I was going to say something in your bad, bad, bad dog post, but I didn't want to jinx anything. When he went after you, he might have re-injured his disk. If he is yelping, that is a very early warning that you should not ignore it.

Might want to visit your vets and get some tramadol and steroids on hand in case you see any loss of function. I personally would be giving him tramadol now, but I tend to over-react given my skill at picking dogs with the disease.

Kasianni
12-30-2014, 08:26 PM
&*%^ yelping is not normal and he is in pain. Crap. I was going to say something in your bad, bad, bad dog post, but I didn't want to jinx anything. When he went after you, he might have re-injured his disk. If he is yelping, that is a very early warning that you should not ignore it.

Might want to visit your vets and get some tramadol and steroids on hand in case you see any loss of function. I personally would be giving him tramadol now, but I tend to over-react given my skill at picking dogs with the disease.

I have a few tramadol left, I'll give him one tonight and call the vets in the morning. I so hope he is not going down again. Going to restrict his freedom for a few weeks...Sign..I need something for my anxiety too. :( Edit: Just called the vet, they are still open but the answering machine picked up, hope they can see him tomorrow, if not I'll bring him to the hospital he was at in April, its a long drive but no choice. I am freaked out, I can NOT afford surgery for this little guy, if the crate rest didn't work 10 months ago, I am assuming it won't work now??? He seemed ok for the longest time. However, you're probably right Lisa, he was jumping like a fool on Christmas when he freaked out and bit me :(

Kasianni
12-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Does this mean he is going down again, or can I nip it in the bud before it happens and get him to the vet, on steroids, pain meds, etc?? Can it be a flair up without him going down again??

BeauBuddy
12-30-2014, 09:30 PM
You can nip it in the bud.
Georgia, before she showed any sign of IVDD, one time was walking very slowly. I felt her tummy and it was hard. That can be a sign that she is tensing up her stomach muscles so that's something you can check. It was late in the evening so I gave her some meds. The next morning she couldn't walk. However, she still had bowel and bladder control. I think that if I had not given her the meds that night she probably would have lost her bladder and bowel too. She had a full recovery with 8 weeks of crate rest.

Why are you saying crate rest didn't work 10 months ago?

Kasianni
12-30-2014, 09:57 PM
You can nip it in the bud.
Georgia, before she showed any sign of IVDD, one time was walking very slowly. I felt her tummy and it was hard. That can be a sign that she is tensing up her stomach muscles so that's something you can check. It was late in the evening so I gave her some meds. The next morning she couldn't walk. However, she still had bowel and bladder control. I think that if I had not given her the meds that night she probably would have lost her bladder and bowel too. She had a full recovery with 8 weeks of crate rest.

Why are you saying crate rest didn't work 10 months ago?

Well if it worked 8 months ago, why is this happening so soon again. :( His tummy is not tight I just checked and he is walking fine, and wagging his tail and has complete bladder and bowel control. I gave him a Gabapentin and Tramadol and will get him to the vets first thing in the morning.

BeauBuddy
12-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Well if it worked 8 months ago, why is this happening so soon again. :( His tummy is not tight I just checked and he is walking fine, and wagging his tail and has complete bladder and bowel control. I gave him a Gabapentin and Tramadol and will get him to the vets first thing in the morning.

Our dogs have IVDD which doesn't go away. He can do something that seems like nothing, jump down from the couch, and reinjure himself.

For a refresher on disc disease, check out the short video on dodgerslist here..

http://dodgerslist.com/literature.htm

If you can keep him crated until you visit the vet, it certainly won't hurt. The car ride should be with a crate as well.
Keep us posted.

Kasianni
12-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Our dogs have IVDD which doesn't go away. He can do something that seems like nothing, jump down from the couch, and reinjure himself.

For a refresher on disc disease, check out the short video on dodgerslist here..

http://dodgerslist.com/literature.htm

If you can keep him crated until you visit the vet, it certainly won't hurt. The car ride should be with a crate as well.
Keep us posted.

I can't crate him for the car ride, he will go insane and bark and thrash around. I usually have him in his harness, in his car seat with the seat belt that comes with the seat. Best I can do and he sits or lays down. I am keeping him crated till morning, and he's had a Tramadol and Gabapentin. I do understand that the have IVDD which is not going away, but I want so badly for this to be a flair up and not him going down again. I'll do whatever I can, but I can not do the surgery, which would probably have been best the first time around. :(

M&M's Mom
12-30-2014, 10:50 PM
I have a long and bitter history with IVDD. Penny knows, she remembers I am sure.

My sweet angel Skyler started having IVDD issues when he was around 5 years old. Crate rest for 6-8 weeks and meds always fixed him right up again. But I was ALWAYS proactive and vigilant.

He finally lost his battle with IVDD for good on October 25, 2012. He officially went down. Not able to walk, lost bowel and bladder control. I took him to our vet and together we gently and lovingly helped him across the bridge. I couldn't afford surgery and even if I could, for Skyler a "maybe" wasn't good enough. I wouldn't put him through something at almost 11 years old that may not work. He wouldn't even wear a sweater so a cart would have never worked for him.

Stay on top of this. It's also possible that you got nipped because he was cranky with pain.

BeauBuddy
12-30-2014, 10:56 PM
I'll do whatever I can, but I can not do the surgery, which would probably have been best the first time around. :(

For the surgeons here, they would not touch a disc unless the dog had lost deep pain sensation and had no bladder or bowel control.

For us, the nearest hospital is 2 plane rides away. There's no way we could get a dog there in time, within that small window of opportunity. There are plenty of people who do not have the surgery and try the meds and crate rest and see a full, or almost full recovery. All you can do is give him time and hope for the best, if it comes down to that. You aren't there yet though. :crossfin:

Kasianni
12-30-2014, 11:11 PM
For the surgeons here, they would not touch a disc unless the dog had lost deep pain sensation and had no bladder or bowel control.

For us, the nearest hospital is 2 plane rides away. There's no way we could get a dog there in time, within that small window of opportunity. There are plenty of people who do not have the surgery and try the meds and crate rest and see a full, or almost full recovery. All you can do is give him time and hope for the best, if it comes down to that. You aren't there yet though. :crossfin:

No, you are right. He does have bladder, bowel control, he is walking perfectly, has not lost dps. He is not shaking, or anything else. I'll get him to the vet asap tomorrow, I am so glad they are opened. I could bring him to the teaching hospital its only a 45 minute car ride, but he neurologist is away till Monday, I called earlier to see if I could get some steroids and avoid bringing him anywhere and just start the crate rest, but they couldn't do the prescription as she is not there, so we are going to his regular vets, only a 15 minute car ride, I guess its best he see's someone anyways, but they don't know much about IVDD as they are the ones that sent me to the hospital in the first place. Anways, I am bringing the report the hospital gave me in April regarding his treatments, and meds, so they can read that and act according. Thanks for your help, appreciate it very much. Helps calm me down.

BeauBuddy
12-30-2014, 11:16 PM
I have a long and bitter history with IVDD. Penny knows, she remembers I am sure.

My sweet angel Skyler started having IVDD issues when he was around 5 years old. Crate rest for 6-8 weeks and meds always fixed him right up again. But I was ALWAYS proactive and vigilant.

He finally lost his battle with IVDD for good on October 25, 2012. He officially went down. Not able to walk, lost bowel and bladder control. I took him to our vet and together we gently and lovingly helped him across the bridge. I couldn't afford surgery and even if I could, for Skyler a "maybe" wasn't good enough. I wouldn't put him through something at almost 11 years old that may not work. He wouldn't even wear a sweater so a cart would have never worked for him.

Stay on top of this. It's also possible that you got nipped because he was cranky with pain.

I remember the sad day you lost your angel Skyler. :hug99:

Ivan
12-31-2014, 12:03 AM
Nope, yelp is NOT normal, even after IVDD episodes.

Have you checked his paws? Maybe he bent his dew claw backwards too far? Or he has a thorn (sliver)? Or he tore his foot pad? Ir cut himself? IVDD is certainly possible, but not the only reason to yelp.

If it is IVDD, or even a hint of IVDD, ours would be strictly confined to his crate faster than you can say "ouch". And he'd be stuck there for 10+ weeks minimum, since this is the 2nd time around, and it didn't heal right the first time. I'd ask the vet for prednisone Rx.

Good luck! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
12-31-2014, 12:27 AM
Nope, yelp is NOT normal, even after IVDD episodes.

Have you checked his paws? Maybe he bent his dew claw backwards too far? Or he has a thorn (sliver)? Or he tore his foot pad? Ir cut himself? IVDD is certainly possible, but not the only reason to yelp.

If it is IVDD, or even a hint of IVDD, ours would be strictly confined to his crate faster than you can say "ouch". And he'd be stuck there for 10+ weeks minimum, since this is the 2nd time around, and it didn't heal right the first time. I'd ask the vet for prednisone Rx.

Good luck! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Yes I checked his paws, dew claw is fine and no sliver of any kind. He is already in his crate, just carried him to the pee pad for a piddle. He squatted and piddled, wagging his tail. Not shaking, tummy is nice and soft and he's had a tramadol and Gabapentin, I've had an ativan, and we are off to the vets in the morning. What is the difference between Prednisone and Dexamethasone, which is what he used the first time he went down? 10 weeks of crate rest, really, wow, I suppose its do able. If there is anything positive about this is that we are not going anywhere since its winter time, better to have it happen now then in April as last time.

lotsadox
12-31-2014, 12:54 AM
I'd ask the vet for prednisone Rx.

I'd let the vet prescribe for him. There are a lot of alternatives to prednisone which is a strong drug and very hard on dogs small systems.

Kasianni
12-31-2014, 01:15 AM
I'd let the vet prescribe for him. There are a lot of alternatives to prednisone which is a strong drug and very hard on dogs small systems.

After only having given Theo the dexamethasone twice, he was feeling so much better and was his old self. It worked so fast, and he had no issues with it and seemed to tolerate it well. Only thing I don't get is they say not to give it to a dog that has seizures, and Theo has occasional seizures, the neurologist knew this and prescribed it anyways. He did NOT have a seizure during his crate rest and in fact when 10 months without one. I'll see what his vet says tomorrow. Thanks

BeauBuddy
12-31-2014, 01:57 AM
Don't give him any more meds until the vet visit.
Hoping for the best.

M&M's Mom
12-31-2014, 07:17 AM
Skyler did better on a NSAID than he did on prednisone.

Lisa
12-31-2014, 08:37 AM
How is he doing this morning? Were you able to get him in last night to see the vet?

Crate rest and meds did work 10 months ago. It's not a one time cure all for the disease, it is more like falling down the stairs, just because you did it once 10 months ago, doesn't mean you can't do it again. It doesn't even mean that the same disk is the problem. And just to clarify, even if he had surgery 10 months ago, another disk can leak or blow. And until you see the vet, we don't even know if that is the problem. Patrice is right, I should not have suggested you give him anything until he was properly diagnosed.

Please look at the link BeauBuddy posted. They have tons of great information.

lotsadox
12-31-2014, 09:44 AM
After only having given Theo the dexamethasone twice, he was feeling so much better and was his old self. It worked so fast, and he had no issues with it and seemed to tolerate it well. Only thing I don't get is they say not to give it to a dog that has seizures, and Theo has occasional seizures, the neurologist new this and prescribed it anyways. He did NOT have a seizure during his crate rest and in fact when 10 months without one. I'll see what his vet says tomorrow. Thanks

I was actually talking about Ivan saying to ask for prednisone. Theo was prescribed the dexamethsone before so I would think that that was okay. I always think its a bad idea to "ask" for certain drugs. If you trust the vet to diagnose and prescribe for you, why would you ask for certain things? And if you don't trust your vet and feel you have to prescribe yourself, why the heck are you going to that vet?

Sorry for the confusion, Kasia :) And I have no clue about the seizures, but I'm glad Theo didn't have any while on the dex.

Kasianni
12-31-2014, 09:48 AM
How is he doing this morning? Were you able to get him in last night to see the vet?

Crate rest and meds did work 10 months ago. It's not a one time cure all for the disease, it is more like falling down the stairs, just because you did it once 10 months ago, doesn't mean you can't do it again. It doesn't even mean that the same disk is the problem. And just to clarify, even if he had surgery 10 months ago, another disk can leak or blow. And until you see the vet, we don't even know if that is the problem. Patrice is right, I should not have suggested you give him anything until he was properly diagnosed.

Please look at the link BeauBuddy posted. They have tons of great information.

He is great this morning. Has eaten, done his business with no yelping or straining, squatted like a little girl, no wobbly walk. He slept right through the night. No, I was not able to get him in. My vet was suppose to be opened till 8 last night, I called the other office they have and even they tried to reach them. Seems its might have been really quiet there last night so they closed a tad early. Waiting for them to call this morning, however the other office confirmed they will squeeze him in somewhere for sure this morning. I suppose I should have waited for the Tramadol but I didn't and it is what it is..I don't want my regular vet poking at him too much, would rather the neurologist do that, but I called the hospital last night and she is away until Monday so off to his regular vet we go. Theo doesn't show his pain well, so for him to yelp, was something! Even when he went to the neurologist the first time, she told me he hides his pain, so I know the Tramadol hides symptoms, but I am glad I gave it to him as I don't want him suffering and want him calm and rested. My vet is open from 10-3 today, so I'll get in there somewhere. I will update when we are back. Please send as many rayz as possible for Theo, that I caught this in time. Lisa, thank you so much for telling me that yelping is not a good sign, I mean I know its not good, but I thought it just might be cause he was digging and caught a nail or something but two days in a row, is not a good thing. Thanks for always replying and sharing your knowledge. :hug99: Thanks everyone, I shall update when we are home.

LexieLuvr
12-31-2014, 09:59 AM
All I can say is :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and please keep us posted.

Lisa
12-31-2014, 10:39 AM
If he was yelping, he was in pain. We know that. The rest we do not know. Is it his back? Maybe, maybe not. Could it have been a muscle he tweaked? Maybe, maybe not. Could it have been a tooth, a nail, or 100 other things? Maybe, maybe not.

IDK what to tell you Kasia, if he is fine today, you might want to put that money for a neurologist into a behaviorist for Theo and get to the root of his problem. If he is not attacking you, he is less likely to pop or blow a disk. Not saying it can't happen by him sneezing or just normal doxie life, but it might minimize the risk.

If it was his disk, I would think he would be worse today, not better. One tramadol will not fix disk disease, only time in conjunction with a vet prescribed drug combination (or surgery) can do that, or not as M&M's Mom mentioned, there are no guarantees. :sosad:

p.s. it is wonderful he is doing so great today! That is a great update.

lotsadox
12-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Good points, Lisa. He could very well have tweaked a muscle. When Miller pulled a muscle in his back leg (probably playing with Scooter) he was yelping and I thought it was his back. Turned out it wasn't. You never know until you go to the vet. It can be a lot of things.

I would also think that if it was his back, he wouldn't be better today.

Kasianni
12-31-2014, 12:12 PM
I am sure its his back. I went to the pharmacy to get his Tramadol so I'd have it to bring to the vet and I let him out of the crate to pee, and his back legs were slipping a tad..but he's not yelping today. I have an app at 12:20 with him, I am going to take him to the vet, don't want to take a chance. All this biting started in June, right after his crate rest and always starts when I crate him. He gets barking, he thinks I am leaving him alone and going out or something. Its always putting him in the crate, that triggers the biting. I will find the money for a behaviorist, at least enough to see him a few times. When I called and told them the situation, they seemed to think it would only take a few sessions with him to figure out what is going on. At least I know the trigger. He is not aggressive any other time. Before his back issues, I never use to crate him if I'd go out, my sister or someone would stay with him because I never leave him alone due to seizures, he was ok with me going out, its when the crating started. He fears I will leave him so he tries to stop me. I'll get this back issue sorted out, and dealt with, and then the aggression. He needs to be healthy before I take him to a trainer. Thanks again for all the input. I will update when I am home. :)

Lisa
12-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Hmmm, If happens going into the crate, maybe he needs an xpen?

Rae
12-31-2014, 02:42 PM
Glad you've identified the trigger - but sorry you learned what it is "the hard way."

Kasianni
12-31-2014, 04:08 PM
We are finally back, he whined all the way there in the car, tried to dig the bottom of his car seat, was a total pain :rotfl: Saw he own vet, I haven't seen him in years cause he works more at the other hospital, so was very happy. He is the one that saved Theo when he had Parvo virus as a pup. So Theo, was all waggy and giving him kisses..snapped at him when he tried to do the toe test haha, so I had to do it for him. No problems there. He touched a spot in the middle of the back, and Theo flinched and squatted down, so definitely something going on there. He said bravo for bringing him in TODAY. Caught it in time. So he is on 1 whole pill of Dexamethasone for 3 days, then 1/2 a pill for 7 days, then every 48 hours for another 10 days to ween him off it. He will take again the Gabapentin 100mg, 3 times a day, and Tramadol 1/4 pill 2 or 3 times a day depending on his pain, but I will know. No jumping, running, etc, and crate rest for 8 weeks again...Oh I know the drill well!! However, he said I can use the stroller when I am on the computer he can sit beside me, have a nice pillow in it for him and he stretches out and snoozes. So here we go, day 1! I am feeling much better than I was last night, no anxiety today, although my pharmacist gave me some ativan just in case. :) I did well, the vet visit, the all the 3 meds, pepcid, etc...100$. AND they have a really good behaviorist, right upstairs so when he is done his 8 weeks, we are headed there. Will give me time to save up whatever I can. Even with the tramadol I gave him this morning, he felt when the vet pushed on his back so I want to really thank Lisa, for telling me yelping is an early sign and not to ignore it..and to stay proactive!! Thank you all...here we go again. He had all functions too, bladder, bowels, tail wagging, walking ok, but something is going on. I'll call his neurologist on Monday, just to update her with whats going on. So that is it...I'll be spending New Years Eve, with my pups, eating tacos and watching movies...guess I am not going out tonight. Thank you everyone for your input and helping Theo again. :D

BeauBuddy
12-31-2014, 04:46 PM
He's a very very lucky boy. And saw his fave vet too.
Great pupdate!

Kasianni
12-31-2014, 05:07 PM
He's a very very lucky boy. And saw his fave vet too.
Great pupdate!

Indeed he is the little stinker!! :rotfl:

LexieLuvr
12-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the update, and good for you for being on the ball! Lots of get well :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
12-31-2014, 06:43 PM
Hmmm, If happens going into the crate, maybe he needs an xpen?

I bought a type of x pen that I can make any size its great, he would do better in that. The down side, remember, Theo is Tigger the Tiger and likes to bounce, and there are no covers or roof like on the metal crate so he could jump up any time he wanted to..I could make a type of roof I suppose with chicken wire or some other material..but he seems happy today in the crate and little area he has so we will see. :)

lotsadox
12-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm so glad you got him in right away. The stroller really saved me with Bogart. He was much happier if he could see me so instead of stressing in his crate when I was in the other room (and barking his head off), I could just roll him in with me. He would stretch out and nap in his, too. It sounds like you have everything under control.

We never go anywhere on NYE so it's always sitting on the couch with the pups time for me.

Kasianni
01-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Well, it will be one week tomorrow that Theo is crated. I don't know how I am going to do 7 more weeks. Its not him, its me!!!! My back is killing me, waiting for an MRI as well, I too have a herniated disc in my lower back. This time I am not lifting him out via the top of the crate rather letting him walk out. I've got him in his crate, on the living room rug, but have fashioned another larger crated area around the crate so he can get out and pee on his pee pad that is there and have a stretch and some water. No more yelping since last week, he is walking just fine and wagging his tail..He seems quite happy. He has not tried to bite me at all, but I think its because I leave his crate door open and only close it if I am not on the computer which is right beside him. Whatever the reason, seems to be working and he is happy in his crate. Just seems time is going so slow this time. I am worried, because this is the second time he's gone down in a year. Well I wouldn't say he went down this time, as I caught it so early, but lets say a flare up this time?? The steroids are working, I see a difference but I just don't feel I am doing what I should do for him. I am always thinking that I should have come up with money for surgery the first time and he wouldn't be going through this again. I was at IKEA on the weekend, and bought 4 long runners so when he is out of the crate he won't have to worry about the ceramic tiles in the kitchen and slipping and wood floors. I think maybe because I am doing this on my own, again, and have no help and no one to talk to about it, I am finding it hard. 7 more weeks to go...ugh

Ivan
01-06-2015, 04:48 PM
I see a difference but I just don't feel I am doing what I should do for him. I am always thinking that I should have come up with money for surgery the first time and he wouldn't be going through this again

Please don't feel that way? You ARE doing the right thing for Theo by crating him. FWIW, surgery isn't always gonna fix it 100%, nor prevent flare-ups. Buddy had surgery in Dec. 2011, and yet he still had another flare-up a year later, so this time we crated him. That worked. He's been OK since then.

Good that the steroids are helping. Sounds like you need some too? Good luck with that.

Lisa
01-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Kasia, you don't know if it is even the same disk that is affected. If you look through old threads, Laika had surgery twice. Jax had surgery 3 times, I am sure Yolanda can give you a list of dogs that she has rescued that have had multiple surgeries. Surgery is NOT a cure. This is not like a lump, you remove it and it is gone. The back & neck have multiple disks, any one of them can go at any time. A disk can leak or a disk can rupture (big difference). If a disk ruptures the dog goes down very fast, the disk material goes around the spinal cord and communication to the back end is lost. That is when there is a 24 hour window to get the dog into surgery or risk permanent paralysis. When a disk leaks, there is inflammation and small amounts of disk material, the amount of inflammation and leakage very case to case. P'nuts was very mild, Pixel's was more severe. In these cases, drugs and crate rest do work. You are working to get the inflammation off the spinal cord, so communication from the brain to the back end can be restored. This happens pretty quickly. The reason the 8 weeks rest is suggested is so that the disk re-calcifies. Think of this process as a scab healing. It takes time and the skin is never perfect. The disk is the same it heals, but is never quite perfect, it's good and functional, but different, which is why they will sometimes have issues on laminate or ceramic and why they do better on grass or carpet. Some movement is okay, I am still not picking P'nut up, but letting her go out her own. When I pick her up, I think I throw her off and she gets wiggly, which is putting her disk in jeopardy.

Just stay on the crate rest path. Is it possible it can happen again? Yes. It is also possible he won't have another episode, there are just no guarantees with IVDD.

Rae
01-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Hey Lisa - why don't you post a pic of the chariot on wheels? Wasn't it you who put the crate in a rolling cart???

oceangirls
01-06-2015, 09:59 PM
What Lisa said, 110%. And if I remember right, Mama S. had at least 1 doxie (maybe 2?) go completely down... and she was not able to do surgery BUT he (they?) recovered without it and were able to walk again. So I'm going to say it's pretty much a crap shoot either way. Surgery is no guarantee of anything for the future. I suspect in some ways surgery can be even more problematic because it does change the natural anatomy... which could even place more stress on surrounding discs. Just do the best you can!

oceangirls
01-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Hey Lisa - why don't you post a pic of the chariot on wheels? Wasn't it you who put the crate in a rolling cart???

There are some links to strollers and crates on carts in my thread from when Angel had her first IVDD episode. Ivan posted some good ideas about crate/cart combos.

http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?34494-Dog-in-a-Box-update-2-14&highlight=

lotsadox
01-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Amy put Laika's crate on a shop cart so she could roll her around the house with her.

Lisa, I didn't pick Bogart up for that same reason. He'd get wiggly and it freaked me out so I just put a rug in front of his crate and let him step out onto that. I used a simple figure 8 harness from Petsmart and left it on him all the time so that I could reach in and clip the leash on before he stepped out of the crate. It worked well for him.

I also agree with Kim. There are no guarantees with surgery. My chiro told me that people that have back surgery are apt to need it more than once for the very reason Kim said. It changes the geometry of the back and puts pressure on new areas.

I have had 3 dogs go down and only one had surgery. She was okay but actually didn't have as good a recovery as the ones that only had crate rest and meds. I would go the crate rest route in a heartbeat before surgery if crate rest was an option.

Rae
01-07-2015, 01:04 PM
There are some links to strollers and crates on carts in my thread from when Angel had her first IVDD episode. Ivan posted some good ideas about crate/cart combos.

http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?34494-Dog-in-a-Box-update-2-14&highlight=

It WAS Amy. Duchie loved her stroller, so we had "stroller rest" instead of crate rest.

LexieLuvr
01-07-2015, 04:10 PM
I don't think I can add anything to the good info you already got. More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Kasianni
02-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Theo is at the 6 week mark this Wednesday and all was good until today, I put him in the x-pen on a pee pad to do his business, went to re-fill the water bowl, and he yelped at something, I ran back and he was there wagging his tail, so I have no clue what happened. I wasn't being too strict with the crate rest, well, he's been crated, but I lift him onto a bed bedside my computer when I am here, and he isn't allowed walking around at all except when doing his business, I guess maybe I've been lifting him too much but he is not a squirmier. However, I caught him again yesterday, digging in his crate, I don't know why he always has to have the blanket just right, even if I take it out and leave the pillow down with a towel wrapped around it, he will try to dig...don't know what he did this morning, he is off all pills but gabapentin, have a call in at the vets...He hasn't yelped like that in the entire 6 weeks since I brought him in. Vet told me to do a few days of dexamethasone and see how he is doing after that. I have his black crate, surrounded buy a x-pen and he does his business in the x-pen on a pee pad. I wonder if he jumped straight up in the air or something as the x pen has no lid like the black crate..He thinks he is Tigger the tigger..I watch him constantly but I can't do it 24 hrs a day..I guess I can't even leave him in the x pen unattended for a few minutes..I wonder if I have to start 8 weeks over now, I forgot to ask the vet. We only had 2 weeks to go..was feeling better about this then he yelped. :(

LexieLuvr
02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
The yelp could have been totally unrelated to his back issue so I would just tell the vet and see what he/she says. That's my best suggestion. :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: :crossfin:

Kasianni
02-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Yes just what the vet said could be anything but better to treat then not to treat if its disc related...will do 7 more days with dexamethasone and see how he is after..Whatever it is, my monkey is always happy and wagging his tail...such a trooper, he's not had a easy life with all the medical issues.

LexieLuvr
02-10-2015, 08:05 PM
I think your vet is right on! More rayz!

Lisa
02-10-2015, 09:02 PM
More rayz from me too :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: