PDA

View Full Version : Unleashed puppy

Vitalyn333
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
With the very cold temperature, I tried (since yesterday) to let Sansa go outside to do her business without the leash. Since it's cold outside, she doesn't want to be there longer that it's necessary anyway so i'd figure it may be a good timing to try it. I watch her at the door (except when I have to go put a little something in a poop bag) and my trick is to bring the treats along. When she seems to want to go further in her exploration after the duty, I just shake the bag of treats and she comes back running inside, and I give her one.

It's working pretty well, for now. Is that a good way to do it? I want to teach her to come back when I whistle at her or call her by her name and since she's a doxie, she can be taught that by her stomach right? :rotfl:

Ivan
01-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Kikopup offers many helpful dog training video clips: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kikopup

We trained ours to come & touch the palm of our lowered outstretched hand (palm facing towards the dog), rewarded by a tiny treat the INSTANT they touch. Not 1 or 2 seconds later, but instantly. First from 1" away, then 2" away, then 3" away, and so on. They learned it within minutes, then we reinforced it via repetition. First indoors, then eventually outdoors. Then we added a verbal cue a second BEFORE we put out our hand. The cue word is "COME". Eventually, the hand signal usage becomes optional. We don't use any clicker. We sometimes say "YES!!" instead. But if you don't use any clicker (nor special word) to indicate success to the dog, then the precise timing of the reward becomes critical. Lastly, try to avoid using a lure (eg, rattling the treat bag). Instead, you want the behavior even in the absence of the lure.

IOW, we kinda did somewhat like this (but we used a different hand signal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSJVwZybwo

Vitalyn333
01-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Okay, thanks! She usually comes back when I whistle or call her by her name. But I'm a little insecure so I use the treats bag in a last resort. I'll try to not use it automatically!!!

M&M's Mom
01-12-2015, 06:43 PM
I am jealous now. I've had Milo for two years and could NEVER let him off leash. He knows his name. If I say it, he looks at me. Then he does what he darned well pleases.

Vitalyn333
01-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Sansa loves people so much that if someone pass nearby i'm not sure she will not run to great them! So like I said, i'm trying this haha

lotsadox
01-12-2015, 10:17 PM
IMO a good recall is one of the essentials with dogs. A good obedience school will teach you how to teach a recall. I worked really hard with all my dogs to have a good recall. It can save them if they get out. It takes a lot of time and repetitions, but it totally worth it.

Rae
01-12-2015, 10:40 PM
If I didn't have a leash on Savannah Jane, she'd run to CHINA. Or, more likely, Nova Scotia.,

LexieLuvr
01-13-2015, 10:35 AM
If I didn't have a leash on Savannah Jane, she'd run to CHINA. Or, more likely, Nova Scotia.,

Jack is the same way. His hunting instinct is incredibly stromg.

Alex's Mom
01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Well, that's ONE way to get you to come and visit!!!!! :)

Alex's Mom
01-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I can honestly say I've never had a dachsie I'd trust off leash until they're so old and decrepit (Alex, James, and now Patti) that running isn't really an option :rotfl:. So not much help here. however, ITA with Patrice...before you let her go off leash, she needs to have a perfect recall...it really can save a life!!!!!

Ivan
01-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Here's another how-to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QonpHq930Rk