PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian is down - update #11

alfina
04-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Came home from work and found Sebastian down in the rear. Looks like he lost control of his bowels and bladder when it happened. My daughter took dogs out at 4pm before she left for work and said he was walking fine then. He is at the e-vet. Dr Chauvet came. She is our local neurosurgeon. He can't stand on his own, failed toe test, seems to have deep pain sensation still. Right side is worse than left. She wants to start on pain meds and steroids and monitor overnight. She will reassess him in the morning and will call me.

Looking back at last night what I thought was tightness from his pancreatitis and him being off was probably his back acting up. But then this morning he was fine and I kept checking with my daughter on him. She even sent me their photo together. My vet is so awesome. I called them from work and told them that I thought Seb was starting to display pancreatitis symptoms, they wanted to start him on some pain meds. But I didn't have anyone who could pick the meds up before the office closed. They left me pain meds and antibiotics in a plastic bag hidden by their back door in the parking lot to grab on my way home from work. . I have not even given them my credit card for the meds. Those people are so awesome to do that for us!

Unfortunately, I was wrong, it was his back and not his tummy. My poor snuggle buddy

Lisa
04-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Oh no!!!!!!!! Poor baby boy :( It sounds like he is in awesome hands. I am sending every rayz I have that he is better this morning. I know you have been down this road, and it is a long and painful one, with many ups and downs, joys and setbacks. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

I am here if you just want to talk, vent etc, Hugs for you. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: That is an awesome vet!!

RustysMom
04-28-2015, 06:24 AM
Praying for Sebastian! Please let us know how he is doing. Your vet is awesome! He is in great hands & he has a wonderful mom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

areese
04-28-2015, 08:39 AM
That is almost exactly the sequence of events when Laika went down. Pancreatitis, then with what I thought was belly pain due to that and then, while she did not go down as suddenly, within a day she was losing control.
That's why I tell everyone to treat belly pain as back pain. it's just so hard to tell. My vet felt all down her back without a wince and then within 48 hours she was down.
I believe at one point dodger's list was actually collecting data about pancreatitis dx prior to an IVDD crisis.
I know Sebastian is getting the best care and we all know these dogs can recover really very well.
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

lotsadox
04-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Oh, Olga! I'm so sorry. When Darby started having problems, I wasn't sure whether what I saw was pancreatitis (I was told he had a history of it) or back. It was his back. It's so hard to tell what's up with them. I'm glad he's been seen by a neuro already. Sending healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
04-28-2015, 09:35 AM
I am so so sorry! Tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for your furboy! I've been there and know what you've got ahead. Hang in there!

Yolanda
04-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Olga, I am so sorry and sending hugs and prayers along with many :bigrayz::bigrayz:

Keep us updated please.

oceangirls
04-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Don't feel bad... it's really hard to tell! Of course, with Cassie, one time we thought it was her back and it was pancreatitis... and another time we thought it was her back and it was pneumonia :conf4:. I think there was a third time we thought it was her back when it might have actually BEEN her back, but in retrospect, who knows, since she recovered after a few days :dunno:.

I would watch him closely on the pain meds, since he does have that elevated pancreatic enzyme. (I know you will anyway)

Lots and lots of rayz :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. He is in good hands with Dr. Chauvet. That's who our vet recommended for Angel if ever needed. I know you've used her before!

Alex's Mom
04-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Oh Olga!!! If only they could talk and tell us exactly where it's hurting!!!! Sending all the :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: there are. Will be anxiously waiting for an update!!!

Rae
04-28-2015, 11:22 AM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: :crossfin::crossfin::crossfin: :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

alfina
04-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Sorry for not posting an update sooner. I was scheduled to work my 12 hr today and figured I can't do anything anyway to help him, plus I need the money to pay for surgery. So, they did an ultrasound and ruled out pancreatic tumor first. I spoke to her around 10 and there was no change for better or worst. So, I agreed to proceed with surgery, which was finished at 2:30pm. Dr Chauvet said that there was a lot of herniated material that she had to remove, she thought the surgery went well. I asked her about bowel and bladder control. She couldn't say at that point if it is intact, since he is very drugged up. She thinks he should be able to control it. But of course, we have to wait and see. She thought he had good tail tone before surgery and thinks his chance for walking are good. She will call tomorrow with an update. They did not want us to visit him or bring anything. So, it is a waiting game. He may come home tomorrow or Thursday.

And I started looking for a second job to pay for it. My manager was very understanding since she has a dachshund herself. She offered to send me home, I was quite upset in the morning, but I opted to stay and finish my shift. My regular vet was awesome again and agreed to take the medications they left for me in the parking lot last night back and credit me for them, which they usually don't do.

Rae
04-28-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm so sorry you're in this spot, Olga. It's so hard to see them hurting, and then having to get an extra job to pay for his surgery is a sacrifice. You're a great mom, and you do what you gotta do. Hang in there, sweetheart.

Yolanda
04-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Olga,

Think positive, he has a wonderful Mommy and he will do fine. Remember healing takes time. Each and everyone of he ae with you in spirit and thoughts/prayer.

You are lucky to have such an understanding boss and vet. Hugs.

Lisa
04-29-2015, 06:24 AM
HUGS!!!! :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: You are such a great Mom!

One day at a time.

Can you start a log on his daily progress? Pogo's surgery was 7 years ago, and although I remember it like it was yesterday, I forgot a lot of the day to day struggles, and victories. With your medical background, I really think this would be of value to other members who go through this. Nothing long or detailed, just a one or two sentences daily of how he was, what meds he was taking etc. If you are way too busy, I totally understand!

RustysMom
04-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Praying for good healing and recovery. It is good to make a log like Lisa said. I did for Rusty but on FB. I like to go back to the beginning and see how far he has come :)

alfina
04-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Morning update. I called the clinic. Sebastian was with rehab people, he has some movement in the legs I am told. I hope that Dr Chauvet will call later with more details.

How and where do I make a log, Lisa? I'd be happy to do it.

LexieLuvr
04-29-2015, 09:02 AM
Tons of recovery :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for your furboy! So many of us have gone thru this. You will do great and it's wonderful that he has some leg movement! Jack was jus crated with increased movement for about 8 weeks after his surgery and he initially had no bladder or bowel control. Today you would never know! Keep us posted. :hug99::hug99:

lotsadox
04-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the update, Olga. It sounds very positive. Amanda had no bowel or bladder control at first but regained it later. She also didn't have movement in her back legs at first but did walk (and run!) eventually. I think the fact that he's has movement in his legs is a very good thing.

Lisa
04-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Any movement is awesome!! :cheer3:

For the log if you can start new thread in IVDD under Sebastian's IVDD journey, I will sticky it.

You can keep editing the thread daily, or you can reply if it is easier and I can move stuff around. Whatever is better for you!! Thank you very much. I know every dog is different and heals at different rates, but I don't remember if it was week 3 or week 4 when Pogo was strong enough that I had to harness him to slow down vs. just using the sling when he went out. When did Pogo get his staples out? When did the pred stop? I don't remember any of this. I do remember being stressed for 3 straight months :( I was lucky, I had Amy help me through a lot of it because she just went through it 3 months before I did.

Ivan
04-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Hey, that's a great start! At least he has the start of some movement, back there. Yay! :cheer3: :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
04-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Sorry to be so late to this, Olga!! Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99: